Moonlight: Now that Three Rivers is Cancelled, Will the Vampire Show Return?

Mick St. John forever?Over the weekend, CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler confirmed that the Three Rivers TV show had indeed been cancelled. Now that Alex O’Loughlin is finished with that series, does that mean that Moonlight will be coming back?

Moonlight follows private investigator and vampire Mick St. John (O’Loughlin) and Beth Turner (Sophia Myles), an Internet reporter. St. John saved Beth’s life as a child and the two develop a romantic relationship years later. Others in the series include Jason Dohring, Shannyn Sossamon, and Brian J. White

Though Moonlight had decent ratings and a devout group of followers, CBS decided to cancel the series after just one season. The network wanted to stay in business with O’Loughlin however and that eventually led to him being cast in Three Rivers.

Is O'Loughlin's career being hurt by Moonlight?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

While some Moonlight fans followed O’Loughlin to the new series, many didn’t. Some people who have posted to this site have said that they refused to watch Three Rivers in hopes that this would somehow convince/force CBS to revive Moonlight.

Now that Three Rivers has been officially cancelled, will Moonlight be back? While Tassler proudly takes credit for being ahead of the current vampire craze, she says that the network has no plans to revive the little-watched cult favorite.

Despite his show’s low ratings, Tassler does still believe in O’Loughlin’s talent and said, “We’re trying to find something for him.”

What do you think? What kind of role would you like to see O’Loughlin take on next? Do you think Moonlight is a help or hindrance to his career? Is the role that helped make him famous actually stifling his career?

Canceled and renewed TV show

141 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Sydney says

Before my mom died we use to watch it together and it saddens me that they cancelled it. The crowds will get bigger now with all this vampire buzz. And maybe watching it again will bring back a few memories of my mom:) can a 14 year old girl only hope?

2. T. Ferrara says

My husband and I just love Moonlight. I know these are from 2008 but would love to see it revived. It seems to have a following. Come on guys…give it a chance again. I think with all the Vamp publicity it would do very well….especially following Vampire Diaries.

3. gabrielle says

I watched an episode of three rivers and it just wasnt the compelling drama that moonlight was. After one episode I was intrigued and would love to see a second season made.

4. Alyssa says

BRING MOONLIGHT BACKKK!!!!! I was watching it on cw and everyone i showed it to loves it! We need season too

5. Kim says

I started watching “Moonlight” on the CW a couple weeks back and I love it!! It is a really good show and had CBS waited just a little while longer, it would have caught on. I really hope that someone finds a way to bring it back. I don’t care what day of the week it is, I will watch it.
    I have been so into this show that I started watching all of the episodes online because I couldn’t wait for the next weeks episodes to start but I will gladly watch the re-runs again! :)

6. Cat Rappa says

Honestly, yeah it was helping his career.
    I think CBS was really stupid for stopping the show so soon,

I’m almost certain it would’ve gotten a lot of viewers,
    and with time, more famous.

Maybe it would’ve even become a Twilight craze, except Moonlight is better.

Either way, CBS did NOT give it a chance to shine.

7. Jay Hardiman says

I recently was notified of Moonlight re-runs being shown. I was told by some relatives and friends -all who love/loved the show as much as I do/did. Our hopes are that it will be brought back. Everything about the show is excellent. Come on! Please, please, PLEASE bring it back.

8. Susie says

I luv luv luv this show. My daughter and I watch this show every thursday. I just love Mick St John, what a hottie! I hate when I get hooked on a show and then it gets cancelled. I hope Moonlight sticks around for a LONG while.

9. Lyoness says

“little watched”… When it was on they were saying it was the most watched show on CBS. The show won a People’s Choice Award. BOoooo

10. says

I wish you all the find to way to somehow to save to show because we love it the show is very good drama and love it .. I wish the show moonlight must be return to the second season right now not too late for the we want to story what happen to between the Beth and mick going to together or not ??

Amanda ..

11. Tania says

I totally agree! Everyone hates a cliff hanger. Alex is so talented. Why would it hinder him? He has been on other shows. He got some publicity. Why can’t he take his other fans and his publicity and bring it back to Moonlight? Show everyone where he captured his image of a great vampire. I’m just wishing it is back and ready to roll. His eyes look fierce and intense in Moonlight. It’s features like those that make him a great vampire and so irresistable to other fans older than me. haha I’m only fourteen, BUT I love this series. IT NEEDS TO GO ON!

12. audrey says

Damn if only I had known about this show sooner it was a
    Badass show I mean I loved it soooo much I know its been
    a while but they should pick up the show again because damn it
    All I wanna know how they where going to end it well that and
    Alex is HOT HOT HOT HOT when he goes vamp on us
    The eyes the teeth totally BadAss!!!!!! & HOT!!!!