Motive: Should ABC Cancel or Air Season Two?

Motive season two?The alphabet network has been airing a new Canadian drama on Thursday nights. They found ratings success with Rookie Blue but is this new show also worthwhile? Should it be cancelled or brought back for a second season?

Motive follows Angie Flynn (Kristin Lehman), a single mother and Vancouver detective who investigates the motives of killers. Each episode starts with the crime and shows viewers what led to it. Others in the cast include Louis Ferreira, Brendan Penny, Lauren Holly, Cameron Bright, and Roger Cross.

The series debuted on ABC at the end of May and drew a 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.52 million viewers. Those aren’t very good numbers and the ratings have gotten worse as the weeks have progressed.

This past Thursday, Motive hit a new low and registered a 0.7 demo rating with just 3.95 million viewers.

Motive is produced in Canada for CTV and, despite decling ratings, was renewed for a second season back in May. It isn’t performing very well for ABC but, like Rookie Blue, it’s not costing them very much either.

If the ratings declines continue, I suspect that ABC won’t bring Motive back next year. They surely aren’t satisfied with the show’s numbers and would prefer to gamble on trying something new. NBC has dropped several Canadian shows over the years because of low ratings, despite their having a lower cost.

What do you think? Should ABC air season two of Motive or should they drop the series instead?

Gabrielle Knott August 14, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I really, really, REALLY, hope it is brought around for another season, this is one of the absolute best TV shows I have seen in a long time! I just love how it shows you the victim and killer, then you have to figure out the motive, which is always so much fun!

I watch it every Thursday and have even gone through and re-viewed all the episodes on Hulu.com just because I love the show so much!

So if it were up to me, I’d have it be on through 10 seasons!

This is surely a show to be brought through season 2.

I just love everything that goes on in each episode and I am a real fan, if there were t-shirts with Motive on them, I’d buy as many as I could!

And the actors are great! Kristin Lehman, is a great actor, she really brings her character to life! Brendan Penny, is just as great! And Cameron Bright is really one of my favorites, he is just one of the best actors I’ve seen! I really love his character and hope to see him a lot more!!

soikt August 14, 2013 at 2:31 am

Love it

lingles August 14, 2013 at 12:01 am

ABC please renew Motive, it goes great with RB. Canada have great TV shows wish you had kept Combat Hospital too. I’m sick of all the reality shows on! I watch TV in the summer and want new programs to watch! I like repeats are fine but why should I watch a show during the season I could just watch it in the summer out of order. Once again renew it I WANT TO SEE SEASON 2.

Addie August 13, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Keep. its fun to see how both the killer and victim relate, and to know both of them from the beginning!!

Bandit August 12, 2013 at 10:49 pm

renew it.
i like to see how it works out knowing whodunnit from the beginning…

G8r August 12, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Smart, sexy, and just a plain great show. It needs to be renewed!

Why Watch August 12, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Didn’t find this show engaging enough to keep watching.

toby August 12, 2013 at 3:35 pm

This is a different take on a murder – tells you who dies, who kills, but you have to figure out the why. My favorite new show this summer.

Del-boy August 12, 2013 at 3:34 pm

keep this show on air give it another season, it is really good.

Megan August 12, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I love this show. I watch it every week, and it never fails to entertain me.. It’s a fantastic show! There definitely should be a second season without a doubt!!

Cinque August 11, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Yes, bring it back for another season. It’s a good series and less predictable than US shows.

Carol August 11, 2013 at 9:39 pm

ABC–please renew ‘Motive’. It’s smart TV and keeps us thinking. Each story is interesting and unpredictable.

Kayla August 11, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Yes I think they should bring it back for another season. It’s a reallly good show!!

emaegf August 11, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Yes, give it another season.

Bookster August 11, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Give Motive another season. It needs a little work, but it is worth saving.