MTV has announced the pickups of new shows Slednecks, Beyond Dance, and One Bad Choice. They’ve also ordered new seasons of Snooki & JWOWW, Real World, and Girl Code.
MTV has also announced the summer premiere dates for 9 Days and Nights of Ed Sheeran (June 10th), Teen Wolf (June 23rd), Finding Carter (July 8th), Ridiculousness (July 10th), and Snack-Off (July 10th).
MTV ANNOUNCES SUMMER SCHEDULE AT 2014 UPFRONT TODAY INCLUDING: NEW SERIES, RETURNING HITS AND NEW MUSIC DOCUMENTARY
MTV ANNOUNCES SUMMER SCHEDULE AT 2014 UPFRONT INCLUDING: NEW SERIES “FINDING CARTER” AND “SNACK-OFF,” RETURNING HITS “TEEN WOLF” AND “RIDICULOUSNESS,” AND NEW MUSIC DOCUMENTARY “9 DAYS AND NIGHTS OF ED SHEERAN”
Network Greenlights New Series “Slednecks,” “Beyond Dance” and “One Bad Choice” “Snooki & JWOWW,” “Real World” and “Girl Code” Picked Up for New Seasons
Victoria Justice Gives Audience First-Look at Scripted Drama “Eye Candy”
Bastille, Zedd and Paramore Perform at the MTV Upfront Presentation
NEW YORK, NY (April 24, 2014) – MTV, a division of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), today announced a diverse summer programming slate featuring a mix of scripted, reality and competition series including the premieres of new series “Finding Carter” and “Snack-Off,” along with the highly anticipated return of “Teen Wolf” season four and Rob Dyrdek’s “Ridiculousness” season five at its annual Upfront Presentation at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
In addition, the network greenlit new series including the Alaska-based “Slednecks,” “Beyond Dance” which pushes the boundaries of dance competition, and “One Bad Choice” which goes inside true stories where one decision made a massive impact on a young person’s life. The network also announced that “Snooki & JWOWW,” “Real World” and “Girl Code” will return for new seasons. Additionally, MTV2 will debut a second season of “Nick Cannon Presents: Wild ‘N Out” this summer.
On the music front, MTV is rolling out a new documentary series, “9 Days and Nights,” that will capture the story of one artist at a turning point in their life and career. The first 60-minute installment will premiere in June and feature British singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran, with appearances by Taylor Swift and Pharrell Williams. The series is a continuation of the highly rated, award-winning music documentaries that have captivated MTV viewers in recent years featuring the likes of Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Drake, Demi Lovato and Nicki Minaj, among others. In addition, MTV will continue to feature its successful cross-platform “Artist to Watch” music campaign showcasing emerging artists. Previous MTV “Artists to Watch” include Ed Sheeran, Bastille and Zedd.
The upfront presentation also highlighted how MTV is stepping up its ongoing “always on” strategy to create a two way conversation with its audience that is true to the brand and authentic to this generation. MTV has always infused interactive pop culture conversations into and around the network’s programming across all platforms. Moving forward, MTV is rolling out this short form dialogue on air, across its schedule and its massive social footprint of 188 million fans by injecting vibrant and captivating visuals and interstitial content that illuminate real-time news, events and trending topics. MTV’s stepped up “always on” strategy creates multiple real-time marketing opportunities for its partners.
MTV’s annual Upfront event was hosted by MTV’s Nicole Byer of the hit series “Girl Code,” MTV2’s Andrew Schulz and Charlamagne of “Guy Code,” and featured phenomenal performances by Bastille performing their hit “Pompeii.” Paramore, who was introduced by Rita Ora, performed their hit songs “Still Into You” and “Ain’t It Fun.” Grammy Award-winning EDM extraordinaire and recent MTV “Movie Awards” performer Zedd entertained the audience with his hit “Clarity” and was then joined on-stage by Paramore lead singer Hayley Williams for an epic closing with their song “Stay the Night.”
The event also featured appearances by MTV on-air talent including Victoria Justice debuting a first-look at her new MTV series “Eye Candy,” along with Molly Tarlov of “Awkward,” Chrissy Teigen and Yassir Lester from the upcoming cooking competition show with a comedic twist, “Snack-Off,” Gregg Sulkin from “Faking It” and Chris Distefano and Melanie Iglesias from MTV2’s “Off the Bat from the MLB Fan Cave.”
As part of its continued evolution, Logo TV, the brand inspired by the LGBT community, is partnering with Milojo Productions (Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos) for a new series “The Secret Guide to Fabulous Living” (working title) premiering this summer. Taking a note from Stephen Colbert who said “if you want to know where to invest, follow the gays,” the 30-minute comedic “how to” series will underscore that it’s not about having it all, but rather knowing what to do with what you have – showcasing to everybody, straight or gay, some of our experts’ secrets for living a stylish life – from freshening up your home, to overhauling your wardrobe or planning the menu for a dinner party.
MTV’s 2014 Summer Premiere Schedule:
“9 Days and Nights of Ed Sheeran” – Tuesday, June 10 at 11:00 p.m. ET/PT:
· New 60-minute documentary film that will take fans inside the world of British singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran, one of the fastest-rising stars in pop music today. With extraordinary, intimate access to Sheeran, this film will be a portrait of a young artist at a critical juncture in his life, filled with the energy of a career that he hopes is largely ahead of him.
“Teen Wolf” Season Four – Monday, June 23 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT:
· Still healing from tragic losses, Scott, Stiles, Lydia and Kira return to a new semester of school with more human worries than supernatural, while also trying to help their new friend, Malia, integrate back into society. But Kate Argent’s surprising resurrection brings a new threat to Beacon Hills along with the emergence of another mysterious enemy known simply as The Benefactor.
“Finding Carter” – Tuesday, July 8 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT:
· “Finding Carter” is a family drama that centers on Carter, a teenage girl who thinks she has the perfect life until one night after a police bust at a high school party she is told that the woman who she believes to be her biological mother actually abducted her as a toddler.
“Ridiculousness” – Thursday, July 10 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT:
· “Ridiculousness” hosted by Rob Dyrdek returns for a fifth season with some of the most insane viral videos in history. Watch Dyrdek, along with co-hosts Sterling “Steelo” Brim and Chanel “West Coast,” take on all new categories.
“Snack-Off” – Thursday, July 10 at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT:
· From the mind of Rob Dyrdek comes a cooking competition show with a comedic twist that is truly unlike any other, where it takes mundane munchies and elevates them to a fully baked art form. Hosted by Chef, Restaurateur and food personality, Eddie Huang, “Snack-Off” is a half-hour show where a group of amateur chefs battle it out in an array of “snack” inspired challenges vying not only for a cash prize but to have their recipe included in the “Snack-Off cookbook and the coveted spork necklace. The panel includes supermodel Chrissy Teigen, master chef Jason Quinn and comedian Yassir Lester.
Newly Announced Series:
· “Slednecks” is a new, half-hour docu-series following a group of ‘outdoor tough’ friends living in the modern-day Wild, Wild West of Alaska. It’s an inside look at their unique lifestyle where the world can be tougher and more dangerous than anywhere else in the lower 48. Yet these “Sled-necks” make the most of what they have, always making sure they have a good time doing it and maintaining the close bonds they have forged as friends.
· “One Bad Choice” is a new series that explores the consequences of young people who made a single, terrible decision that irrevocably changed their lives forever. Shocking, surprising, and deeply emotional, “One Bad Choice” takes viewers on a rollercoaster ride filled with twists and turns, suspense, drama and redemption through scripted storytelling based on true stories.
· “Beyond Dance” is a weekly hour-long competition show that challenges professional dancers to perform and compete in ways that push well beyond traditional dance. Led by premiere choreographers Rich & Tone who have worked artists ranging from Miley Cyrus to Michael Jackson, the dancers will battle it out in extreme challenges that take performances to the next level. Whether it’s dancing on the side of a building, underwater, or in zero gravity, these dancers will have to push themselves farther than ever for a chance at a cash prize and the title of “Beyond Dance” champion. Hosted by Jason Dundas (VH1’s “Big Morning Buzz Live”).
MTV is the world’s premier youth entertainment brand. With a global reach of more than a half-billion households, MTV is the cultural home of the millennial generation, music fans and artists, and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects and creates pop culture with its Emmy(R), Grammy(R) and Peabody(R) award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, online and mobile. MTV’s sibling networks MTV2 and mtvU each deliver unparalleled customized content for young males, music fans and college students, and its online hub MTV.com is a leading destination for music, news and pop culture. MTV is a unit of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB), one of the world’s leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms.
What do you think? Are you planning on watching any of these MTV shows?
Newer and/or Related Articles
Finding Carter: Season One Ratings
Sep 17, 2014
Finding Carter: Season Two Renewal for MTV Series
Aug 19, 2014
Teen Wolf: Season Five Renewal for MTV Series
Jul 24, 2014
Jul 8, 2014
Finding Carter: MTV Orders New Teen Drama
Feb 3, 2014
Awkward, Faking It, House of Food: Debuting on MTV
Jan 10, 2014
Awkward, Snooki & JWOWW: Return to MTV in October
Jul 27, 2013
Snooki & JWOWW: MTV Orders Season Three and More
Apr 25, 2013
Teen Wolf: Season Three Coming to MTV in June
Feb 28, 2013
Ridiculousness: Season Three for MTV Series
Sep 11, 2012
Teen Wolf: “Super-Sized” Third Season for MTV Series
Jul 13, 2012
Teen Wolf: MTV Series Renewed for Season Two
Jul 13, 2011
Jun 28, 2011