My Generation: ABC TV Show Cancelled After Two Episodes

My GenerationDespite a lot of promotion, My Generation stumbled out of the gate and now ABC has cancelled it after two episodes. If you were watching the ratings, this doesn’t come as a surprise.

My Generation revolves around a diverse group of young adults who attended high school together. While there, they were interviewed for a documentary. They reunite 10 years later and we see how their lives and expectations have changed. The ensemble cast includes Anne Son, Daniella Alonso, Jaime King, Julian Morris, Keir O’Donnell, Kelli Garner, Mehcad Brooks, Michael Stahl-David, and Sebastian Sozzi.

In its first week on the air, My Generation attracted poor ratings with a 1.6 in the 18-49 demographic and 5.2 million total viewers. That was bad enough to land it in fourth place for both categories.

Should My Generation have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

For week two, the numbers were much worse. The show attracted a terrible 1.1 rating in the prized demo and just 3.815 million viewers. For the timeslot, it landed in fourth place in total viewers and in fifth place for the demo, behind even The CW. That’s an amazingly bad performance for a major network.

ABC has now cancelled My Generation and they’re pulling the show from the schedule immediately. Production on the series has been shut down. It’s unknown how many episodes have been completed but it doesn’t seem likely that the network will bother releasing the unaired ones.

A timeslot replacement for the cancelled series is expected to be announced on Monday.

What do you think? Should My Generation have been cancelled? What about the series didn’t work? Could it have been fixed?

Alex January 14, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Such a shame the show has been pulled. i only came across it now but loved it and wished more was available. Weird how shows that are not as good remain for many seasons and this one gets pulled. Shame =(

Kat September 17, 2011 at 5:19 am

When I watched the 1st episode I wasn’t 2 sure if I was going to enjoy it, but as i’ve watched episode to episode (As here is SA we seem to have a season running – more than 2 episodes so far) anyway I must say it sure has grown on me, the style of filming is raw and fantastic and really emphasises the truths, honesty and reality of what those first 10 years brings in the big world can be like. Teenagers can really learn something from this before they embark on their first 10 year journey

june January 29, 2011 at 4:03 pm

abc sucks, take off bachelor!!! He sucks bring this back!

Jessie January 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Why was this show canceled! Big mistake, I DVR all of my favorite shows due to a hectic work schedule, and “My Generation” was at the top of my list. BRING IT BACK!!

Angie January 15, 2011 at 1:22 pm

My husband and I loved the show!!! It was so unique and original, unlike any other show currently on T.V. I was so confused when they stopped airing it, I was looking foward to watch what unfolded, hopefully the network gives it one more chance, its worth it.

k January 14, 2011 at 10:06 pm

i really did like this show.. it was unique and real.. why did they have to cancel.. i wish they can just air more episodes..

Anjhane January 1, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Im 15 and i loved that show; it was soo cool. Sucks Thats Its Gone.

vadym December 26, 2010 at 3:26 pm

that sucks. i thought i just missed some episodes. but it got canceled? no wonder i cant find more then two videos. I WANT MORRREEEEE

MooMoo December 22, 2010 at 9:13 pm

although i found out about the show pretty late i still managed to get interested in it just by watching the first episode. this show made me wonder how my life would be like 10 years from now and how everyone else’s in my graduating class would be too. whether or not those high school sweethearts would still be together or whether all those dreams and aspirations would be fulfilled. would the best friends still stay in contact or drift apart. this show had all of that and plus it had drama. it really sucks that it got canceled =(

Damanrawr! December 14, 2010 at 2:19 am

The show was great and i only watched one episode…its so real! and exclusive when it comes to life and the different obstacles you come to! look how many of them had their futures planned out and ended up in a different path! the first couple episodes of any show aren’t going to be blowout of coarse because thats where everything is introduced!!!!
They should re-air it and let it play out to its full extent!!

Joe December 2, 2010 at 9:58 pm

This show was great. Eight episodes are posted on Hulu.com and they are all great. I am a member of the Class of 2001. I really enjoyed how the storyline included things that happened in the 1st decade of this century. I felt a real connection with the characters and their experiences, trials and how none of them, like most of us didn’t really end up where we thought we would. ABC really missed the boat on this one. For instance, they targeted this show for the late 20-somethings, those who are of these Classes of the early 2000’s. Well, sorry ABC but ratings don’t mean anything to my generation. We don’t watch nearly as much live television as previous generations. Why? Technology, we can DVR, and watch it later, or watch online. All of which in not accounted for in the ratings. If ABC or any other network wants to make it, they need to think outside of the box and remember that television is a thing of the past. No one in my generation has the time to sit in front of a tv at a specific time each week. Start rating DVR and online users. Great show…too bad you my generation it was canceled and too bad for ABC. This show had great potential.

Sue November 27, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I really wish this show could have had a chance and I would love to see it brought back. It is a shame to cancel such an imaginative and real show after 2 episodes. I watched all of the episodes online and got hooked, you just have to give it more than 2 episodes! I am so disappointed and want more…… At least a whole season please.

Jourdan November 19, 2010 at 10:28 am

My Generation was honestly the best show I’ve ever started watching, I loved it! Of course you have to watch more than 5 shows to see that, but the last show that aired is still keeping me n my toes even after it aired last on Nov 13. If i dont get to see the next episode, I’ll never know…. if Anders gets back together with Jackie, or if he says screw that and runs after Brenda!! and honestly thats so messed up that they’re leaving me hanging like this!! GRR! yes i did just growl! LOL

Matthew November 15, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I’m 28 and personally I thought the show was one of the most honest I’d ever seen. I felt it dealt with a lot of the realities that a lot of us in this generation have lived through and did a great job of showing how different our experience is now compared with past generations. I was and still am very disappointed it got canceled.