My Generation: ABC TV Show Cancelled After Two Episodes

My GenerationDespite a lot of promotion, My Generation stumbled out of the gate and now ABC has cancelled it after two episodes. If you were watching the ratings, this doesn’t come as a surprise.

My Generation revolves around a diverse group of young adults who attended high school together. While there, they were interviewed for a documentary. They reunite 10 years later and we see how their lives and expectations have changed. The ensemble cast includes Anne Son, Daniella Alonso, Jaime King, Julian Morris, Keir O’Donnell, Kelli Garner, Mehcad Brooks, Michael Stahl-David, and Sebastian Sozzi.

In its first week on the air, My Generation attracted poor ratings with a 1.6 in the 18-49 demographic and 5.2 million total viewers. That was bad enough to land it in fourth place for both categories.

Should My Generation have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

For week two, the numbers were much worse. The show attracted a terrible 1.1 rating in the prized demo and just 3.815 million viewers. For the timeslot, it landed in fourth place in total viewers and in fifth place for the demo, behind even The CW. That’s an amazingly bad performance for a major network.

ABC has now cancelled My Generation and they’re pulling the show from the schedule immediately. Production on the series has been shut down. It’s unknown how many episodes have been completed but it doesn’t seem likely that the network will bother releasing the unaired ones.

A timeslot replacement for the cancelled series is expected to be announced on Monday.

What do you think? Should My Generation have been cancelled? What about the series didn’t work? Could it have been fixed?

Candi November 13, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I LOVED this show…. they should’ve done something to promote it better or something… I’m in my 30′s and this was my favorite new show this season and I was so upset when it was gone. :( I thought I just kept missing it and here it was canceled. They don’t know good TV.

disappointment November 11, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I looked forward to it the good shows always go off and leave us nothing to watch.

sommer November 11, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Iam so shocked they canceled this show! It was great! Bring it back ABC! That is ridiculous to get us hooked on a show and then take it away. It really was a good show. Give it another chance!

Johnny November 10, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Let’s be honest, if the show was so great more people would have watched it and would have continued to watch it the next week, which didn’t happen. I thought the characters were a bunch of stereotypes who did nothing but whine about things that occurred 20 years ago (one characters brother went missing in 1991, but he still couldn’t talk about it!). What really happened was the writers and directors had a great idea for a show and ruined it with bad characters and weak storylines. If it was still good, it would be on the air, but it sucked, so its off.

sucks November 4, 2010 at 6:38 pm

ABC is always cancelling shows before they even get a chance. This isn’t the only good show they have cancelled. In my opinion they yank shows too quickly without giving them time to gain an audience. I think it’s an insult that they don’t at least give us a complete season of a show to see if it picks up momentum.

perla October 30, 2010 at 5:53 pm

its sad that the networks had to cancel the show after only 2 episodes…..they should have given it a chance…the show had potential! so sad it was cancelled!!

CDJuno October 29, 2010 at 11:10 am

I’m sad to see such a fun and interesting show get swiped off the air. It’s odd, really, since there are so many other shows that have been on air for years that have so little substance or depth. I liked the documentary style format, the acting, the characters, the storyline and mostly, the originality of the show itself. Really looked forward to watching its entire season. How about taking stupid slapstick comedies with laugh track audiences off the air? Such garbage.

Shmoov October 28, 2010 at 4:38 am

This is one of the few times that I applaud a network for accuracy. In my opinion, after the first show foundational layout, the camera should have disappeared and allowed the story to unfold by themselves. I found the camera to be a distraction.

Depressed! October 27, 2010 at 9:50 pm

This show has such a unique charm about it, I fell in love from episode one. BOO YOU ABC!!!! Bring it back!

Scharina October 26, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I’m from the class of 2001 and I was looking forward to watching this show as I’m sure a lot of other viewers were and I think it is very im unfair to cancel a show before it even had a chance! Shame on you ABC you should have given the viwers a chance to vote on the series, I say that they should bring the series back! Or give us a chancen to buy the series so we can find out what happens in the rest of the season!

Jezebel October 26, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I can’t believe the show was cancelled! Me and my mother watch this show, and we were waiting for it to show again. This sucks, i really liked that show.

chubee October 24, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I loved the show….sad they cancelled it

Capt/fury October 24, 2010 at 8:04 am

I’m quite disappointed to hear the show is cancelled. In my opinion, it had major potential to go far and was one of a handful of shows I looked forward to watching this season!

Paige October 23, 2010 at 5:07 pm

i loved that show. Release the unaired episodes!

teri October 22, 2010 at 8:27 pm

it was great put it back on the air