My Generation: Cancelled Show Thoughts from Jaime King and Creator Noah Hawley

My GenerationNot long after the TV ratings came in for last Thursday night’s episode of My Generation, the show was cancelled by ABC. To the dismay of many viewers, the series was pulled from the schedule immediately and ultimately replaced by repeats of Grey’s Anatomy. Will viewers ever get to see the remaining episodes? How many are there anyway?

My Generation follows a group of twenty-somethings who were part of a documentary while in high school. Ten years after graduation, the filmmaker returns to see how their lives have changed. The ABC series stars Julian Morris, Keir O’Donnell, Kelli Garner, Mehcad Brooks, Michael Stahl-David, Anne Son, Daniella Alonso, Jaime King, and Sebastian Sozzi.

With such a large ensemble cast, you would think that many would comment about the cancellation. That hasn’t happened. For the most part, the stars have all been pretty silent, perhaps by request of the network and/or the producers. The one exception has been King. Earlier this week she tweeted, “Thanks to all for supporting My Generation! I hope there will be a way for all of u to see the rest of the amazing shows we made! Xx” Responding to a comment from an upset viewer, King commiserated, “it is frustrating sometimes.”

Shortly after the cancellation news broke, Lone Star creator Kyle Killen playfully tweeted to My Generation creator Noah Hawley, “condolences. we should have a beer and compare third episodes.” A few days later, Hawley responded by simply writing, “done.”

Hawley has offered brief updates on the show. On Monday, he wrote, “Saw most of the cast last night. My understanding is we’ll be finishing the 8 existing episodes for release online or DVD.” He later added, “We would say more, but it’s not our style.” Last night, Hawley indicated that discussions about releasing the six unaired installments were ongoing.

Considering the abrupt cancellation, it’s highly unlikely that the cast and crew were able to wrap up the show’s many storylines.

What do you think? Would you like to see the remaining episodes of My Generation? Would you consider buying a DVD of the series? Would you like the producers to hear about what would have happened?

Sonya November 23, 2010 at 5:27 pm

This show was the best show ive seen in a long time! Im really sad its canceled. This show displays what life was and could have been and gives the viewers a feeling to right the wrongs they have made in the past and the hope to change their life for the better. ABC you really messed up on canceling this one. WE are the reason you are in business, we are the audience. I really hope you make a second season!

Bryana November 21, 2010 at 11:02 pm

im really upset that they cancelled the show . i loved it :( i would definitely buy the dvd ! it really sucks that its not on , if its replaced .. it should be replaced by something better .

Cory Anne Flynn November 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I am always busy working on the nights this show was on and I finally got to watch them online, after noticing that there had been no new episodes I searched and found it was cancelled. I am bummed about it, I really got into this show and would like to know what else had happened. My brother and boyfriend even got interested in the show and it is hard to get their attention away from the xbox. I hope there will be atleast a dvd that we could buy to see the entire season.

Jessica November 21, 2010 at 5:04 pm

This show was really good. I enjoyed it. They just needed to work out the kinks. The only thing that i could see would get it cancelled was how poorly advertised it was. I did a thing for it on youtube on its “featured” thing and that is how i found the show and looked it up on hulu. It was a really good show and the plot was just so interesting; however, the people were not natural in front of the camera. That was THE ONLY thing that was off about the show and in time the cast would have adjusted :) give it another shot. i would love to see the rest of the show

Talia November 22, 2010 at 2:38 pm

They aren’t natural because they are suppose to be uncomfortable around the cameras considering it was a documentary. They weren’t suppose to be actors. I think they way its filmed was completely natural and unlike anything else out there!

Tamara November 20, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I was very excited about this show when I first saw about it in theaters over the summer. I am very disappointed that is was canceled.

Talia November 20, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I saw the option to watch My Generation on hulu and gave it a try one night! watched all eight in one night…well morning considering i stayed up till 530 that morning! I love it!!! The authenticity of the show is unreal. There is nothing else like it out, and was so disappointed to see that the show has been cancelled. Is there any hope that the show will be picked back up???

Hopeful!

LynnB November 19, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Sad. I hope another network picks it up. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE … or should I say LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, it.

tab November 19, 2010 at 3:51 pm

i was so looking forward to watching these! i only got to see 2. its so like me and my friends we are all that age………..wish it would come back!

Anonymous November 19, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Amazing. Hope it comes back.

Jess November 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm

this show was by far the best new series in a llllooonnnngggg time! I am so upset that they are not going to make more. Seriously, I dont like to watch tv a lot at all, but this is one show that I really liked and actually held my interest. It was real, not phony like most everything else right now. Too bad, i guess theres only room for bad tv right now as this show was AMAZING

cole November 18, 2010 at 3:58 pm

i really like the show. abc sucks sometimes

Gabe November 18, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I just watched every episode that they have available on Hulu this week, and was really getting into it, and was starting to tell people about it, then I realized there were only 8 episodes available, when I looked for seeing the rest of them, I found the link to this… To say the least I was disappointed. I would have totally watched all of the episodes, and probably bought the DVD as I waited for the next season to air… Too bad there are so many good shows like this that don’t get publicized well enough, so they go under. Another example would be the show Kitchen Confidential (another great show that didn’t make it too long).

Whitni November 18, 2010 at 6:32 am

I watched the show when it was still on television and I loved it. I went to work talking to my co-workers about it, and when one of them got ready to watch it online she told me it was canceled! I really got into it and was pretty disappointed to hear that it was canceled. If it were to be released on DVD I would definitely purchase it.

Rachel November 18, 2010 at 3:53 am

I just found this show on hulu and watched all the episodes in one sitting (well two lol). I wish I knew about this show before!! I hope they at least finish the story line but they probably won’t :( …. maybe someone else will pick it up!? crossing my fingers :)

Danielle November 17, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I just found my generation on hulu and wish I had known about it sooner so I could have added to the ratings. This show resonates with people in their mid to late 20s – it had a realness to it. And I am very sorry to see it go.