When we’re young, we have high hopes about where life will take us. Network execs feel the same way about their new shows. My Generations certainly isn’t living up to expectations though. It’s gotten some terrible ratings and will surely be cancelled.
What can you do? Remember, the ideal scenario for ABC is for many millions of people to watch the show on their television sets, while it’s being broadcast. Unfortunately, ratings are put together based on a sampling of viewers. If you’re a “Nielsen household,” your viewing is being counted. If not, it’s not.
However, if you like My Generation and want to see it continue, there are a few things you can do to help.
- If you’re a Nielsen family, watch the show whenever it’s on. If not, watch it on ABC.com or purchase episodes online so your viewing will be directly counted. Encourage others to watch the show. You might know a Nielsen family and not be aware of it.
- Talk about the show with others; at school, at work, online, or wherever. Creating a buzz about a show that you’re invested in gets other people interested and might help bring former viewers back.
- Sign the petition below and encourage others to do the same.
- Write to the network. Be respectful. Everyone responds better to courtesy. Tell them how much you enjoy the show, that you’ve signed the petition, and that you want to see it continue. You can use this form or, even better, write via “snail-mail” to: Mr. Paul Lee, President, ABC, 500 S. Buena Vista Street, Burbank, CA 91521, RE: My Generation
- Call the network at (818) 460-7477 and leave a comment. Be polite and tell them how much you like the show.
- Take note of the products that are advertised during the show. Write the advertisers and tell them that you appreciate their sponsoring the show and that you buy their products (if you do).
To ABC, ABC Studios, and Stockholm-Copenhagen Productions:
We, the undersigned, enjoy watching My Generation on the ABC network. It has a diverse bunch of characters and storylines that you can relate to.
Please find a way to keep My Generation on the air. We are devoted viewers who will continue to watch the program, encourage others to do the same, and will support the series’ advertisers as well. Please keep it going, either on ABC or, if necessary, on another Disney-owned channel.
Thank you for your consideration.
Image courtesy ABC.