My Name Is Earl: FOX Passes, Sitcom Cancelled for Good?

My Name Is EarlIf you’ve been following the ratings and cancellation predictions, you’ve known that the Jason Lee sitcom had been “on the bubble” for a few months.

Last week, NBC announced that they weren’t going to pick up My Name Is Earl for a fifth year. Interestingly, the show’s creator found out about the cancellation just 30 minutes before the network released its schedule.

Greg Garcia told the LA Times, “They woke me up at 7:30 to let me know. I e-mailed Jeff Zucker [president and chief executive of NBC Universal] on Sunday, and I never got a response. But this is show business. The writing was on the wall. When you go to bed the night before the schedule is out, and no one has spoken to you, you know what’s happening. You get somewhat frustrated with how it’s being handled, but that’s the business we work in. I’ve never fooled myself that it’s a fair or friendly business.”

To add insult to injury, during a conference call with reporters, Ben Silverman dissed both Earl and also-cancelled Medium. The co-chairman of NBC Entertainment and Universal Media Studios said that the network decided to cancel the series because neither the fans nor the advertisers had waged a campaign to save them — unlike the outpouring of support for Chuck.

Should an ending for Earl be filmed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Garcia took it in stride, responding, “If that’s how they’re running their network, good luck to them… I don’t believe that for one second, but if that’s true, if that’s how they’re deciding what shows to pick up, wow.” Garcia also noted, “It’s hard to be too upset about being thrown off the Titanic,” referring to NBC’s ongoing ratings struggles.

Though NBC cancelled it, Lee has said that he’d like to continue doing the show. Garcia and the show’s studio, 20th Century Fox Television, agreed to try to sell Earl to another network. Both FOX and ABC have been interested in the past and TBS, who airs the show in syndication, also expressed said they’d be open to picking it up (presumably with a lower budget).

Having already sold the show into syndication, finding a way to add to the episode count makes sense financially. Garcia notes, “There’s a lot of reasons the show would work well on another network, and I think we’d do very well with some promotion. We certainly feel like we have more stories to tell. That’s why we left the show on season four on a cliffhanger. And I know we’ve got at least another season in us and a lot of great ideas. So if another network wants to put us on, fantastic. Nothing that would make me happier.”

Since 20th Century Fox Television produces the show, it was assumed that FOX would most likely pick it up. Still, the odds of one network taking another network’s cast-offs are never very good and FOX execs downplayed the possibility. After all, the network has already committed other sitcoms, including the low-rated ‘Til Death.

The possibility of the show continuing was apparently put to rest over the weekend. Ethan Suplee, the actor who plays Randy on the show, broke the cancellation news to fans via Twitter last week. On Saturday, he communicated that the show was indeed over.

He wrote, “Thanks for the effort guys, we appreciate it. It seems that Earl is actually dead. Fox has passed. The mustache will live on in our hearts.”

There’s no word on the state of other prospects for the sitcom but it sounds like the show is over.

Are you disappointed or had Earl already overstayed his welcome? Should an ending be filmed to wrap everything up?

Scott August 14, 2011 at 3:45 am

Wow… My wife and I fell in love from the first episode we seen. As for it ending like that, is poor buisness. I know the actors wouldnt have wanted their time wasted for four seasons of a great show with no ending. A fifth season would be a good idea, but a little over twelve hundred votes isnt going to get anyones attention. Also, let us not forget about Futurama coming back after being cancelled. As long as there is a reasonable amount of people to watch the show there is money in it. So some network reading these comments and blogs should take up the possibility of this potental money maker.

vincent June 21, 2011 at 8:45 pm

i must say, i learn quite a lot from earl, his friends and his list. And as far as I believe. it is the sitcom which has more sense than any other “do good things and good things happen”. I think it does have a really nice meaning. it is good for me to know that there is something about tv that is not bollocks!!!
i know that some people do not believe in karma. Anyone can: i’ve heard people telling me it’s just bollocks and they come up with the same sad example which cannot be explain otherwise. it’s just to let people who believe in it to act mute. “oh yeah? do good things and good things happen!? right!?is it? and what about babies that die just soon after they’re born? and why should karma punish me for something i’ve done in an another live? I’m ok now, infact i’m another life ? if karma is real then we shouldn’t grow of population every year! because we should be the same people over centuries!!” despite all of these questions which bring to nothing let’s think about something which does: doing Bad things turn into bad things. you kill? you end up in jail(waste years of your life closed up in a room) you help who knows in future you may also get some and feel more satisfied than anything you ever have done. the thing is that some people cannot think in different ways. they just can’t believe anything else except for how bad has been done to themselves from others but never think how good can they do for others and themsevels aswell! karma could be a really powerful thing if you know how to use it. call it whatever you want it i don’t have any religion. i believe in none. everything can be ok only if you make it possible. or even try. when t watch my name is earl i always think about this stuff any other tv sitcom could not be possible… for me. i really hope if we could all know more about earl’s voyage through karma and life or even people around him i can imagine. but i also would like to know other people’s point of view and the making of the 5th season could mean a lot to me… thanks also for letting this sitcom happen in the first place. Good thinking, I’ve been never bored watching it!

mayra June 2, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Bring back earl!! I love that show!! They need to have a season 5! I want to know who earl jrs dad is!

Anonymous August 9, 2012 at 1:52 pm

i know right

Lisa April 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I want to see more My Name is Earl! That is just wrong how they left it. Earl is amazing! This show is hilarious!! I have watched all the episodes. Everyday when I come home from school I always tune in to watch great entertainment. The characters are perfect. What great talent. I would love to see this show back on Television or at least in DVD or Netflix something anything I just want this show back please!! I hope all those people who agreed to cancel this show read all these comments and realize that they should bring back the show

marianne January 13, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I love my name is earl, I would love it to come back on,that was one of the greatest showes ever. I could not beleave they cancelled it. JUST SO YOU KNOW YOU RUINT MY FAMILY’S WEEK AND WE MISS ALL OF YOU ON THE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thomas m October 13, 2010 at 12:01 pm

i want it back to i LOVE the show and it nees to end somehow if it is with a movie or with a new season i need an end

thomas September 3, 2010 at 2:44 pm

give us back my name earl

Janelle August 18, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I know many mnay people and families that would love more Earl, I know I would!!!

barack obama August 17, 2010 at 9:59 am

i just watched all 4 seasons to find out it’s never going to never have an ending!@ wtf seriously can they atlesat end it somehow? they just left us on a cliffhanger and never came back to get us! and thats just wrong!

jason August 8, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Earl can make a few more seasons. I understand the ratings went down every season but another network could increase the ratings. I would like to see a few more seasons instead of a quick wrap up of the show. The show can be on any network. It is just up to the fans to write, email and call the networks. If TBS took off there ” The Office Tuesday” Than I am sure there would be room for My name is Earl. Even though Earl moved on in a new shoe does not mean there gone for good. Most new shows do 1 season and move on. Sometime 2 is pulled. The New Andy Griffith show did 1 season before they moved on. After that is over Earl may get another chance to return to his show. Family guy has been cancelled 3 times and return. futurama has been off over 5 years and came back, It is all about the fans.

felipe July 29, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I really like my name is earl… and i want to know if there is gonna be another season or end of the season four, i just want know the story of how it ends… if some one have some information of this pls, make me know

sorry about the english im from chile

enaira July 14, 2010 at 3:19 am

please bring My Name is Earl back! Please please!

mk June 25, 2010 at 10:41 am

So is there a chance for season 5?

Liam Paul June 8, 2010 at 7:19 am

So they are making a 5th season? That would be AMAZING! They way they have left it I thought they would make a movie to wrap things up. But if there going to be a fifth season that’s way better. Keep the show coming. Karma is a great thing.

rachel May 17, 2010 at 7:59 am

Admin- They hav’nt publicly announced the 5th season yet, because they wanna go out with a bang. I don’t know where you get your resources, but somebody on your side is slacking. I’ll let everyone know when My Name Is Earl is being aired, and Earls new girlfiend, hottie Amber Hampton, will be starring this season. Thankyou and Goodnight!!