My Name Is Earl: TBS in Talks for Season Five of Cancelled Sitcom

My Name Is EarlThe once popular My Name Is Earl sitcom was cancelled last month. After four seasons on NBC, the show’s executive producer, Greg Garcia, was informed early in the morning, just 30 minutes before the news was given to the press.

While being dumped by the peacock network didn’t come as a huge surprise, Garcia wasn’t ready for the show to end. He told the LA Times, “There’s a lot of reasons the show would work well on another network, and I think we’d do very well with some promotion. We certainly feel like we have more stories to tell. That’s why we left the show on season four on a cliffhanger. And I know we’ve got at least another season in us and a lot of great ideas. So if another network wants to put us on, fantastic. Nothing that would make me happier.”

It was largely presumed that the FOX network would take on Earl since the sitcom’s produced by a sister company, 20th Century Fox Television. Execs at the network apparently downplayed the possibility and, when the time came, decided to pass.

Would you like to see Earl saved?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ethan Suplee, “Randy” on the show, broke the news to fans, writing, “Thanks for the effort guys, we appreciate it. It seems that Earl is actually dead. Fox has passed. The mustache will live on in our hearts.”

Now, TBS is apparently interested in keeping Earl going. The cable channel has been airing the show in syndication and expressed some interest in picking up the show at the May upfronts.

Steve Koonin, president of Turner Entertainment Networks, told Company Town that the network likes to develop original programming but that new episodes of an established show like Earl would be an asset in drawing viewers to sample them. At the time, Koonin hadn’t been approached by 20th Century Fox but said, “Tell them to give me a call. We’re in the book.”

The discussions for 13 new episodes of Earl are still in the early stages and there are a some major hurdles that would need to be overcome before they could become a reality. The actors and writers have all been released from their contracts and they’d have to be renegotiated. Also, the show is an expensive single-camera comedy and the overall budget would be an issue as well.

On the positive side however, the show is already in syndication and more episodes would mean additional rerun money for years to come. With that in mind, the studio and participating talent will likely want to make the deal work if at all possible.

While Earl’s return is still considered a longshot, the fact that there are discussions to revive the series is certainly a good sign. What do you think?

Anonymous June 6, 2012 at 7:12 pm

bring back EARL,bring back Earl

Shantal June 5, 2012 at 2:05 pm

So what my understanding of the situation is is that the main obstacle preventing Earl from continuing on is budget cost. Is there ANY way that we, as fans, could help raise the funds needed? I know that there are many loyal, dedicated fans that would gladly do whatever’s needed in order to see the show continue on. After the giant cliff hanger in season 4 finale, it would be morally cruel and unusual punishment to leave the fans hanging, don’t you think? I absolutely love the show, and was heart broken when I heard the dismal news about cancelling. I own every single episode, and can’t imagine not being able to add on the my collection. As silly as this might sound, My Name is Earl has helped me through many tough and tumultuous times. The show has helped me as a mother, as a recovering addict, and as a person in general. I’m not one easily given to begging, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE even if you are unable to continue with an entire season, or even unable to afford to get anything on air, at the very least release a ‘summation’ dvd that clears things up from the cliffhanger. Otherwise, us loyal fans will never have closure and will be forced to endure the loss of a wonderful, inspiring, hilarious show…… Please, if there is ANYTHING that we can do to assist in continuing the show, let us know!!!

Jennifer June 3, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Please bring back My Name Is Earl! At least one more season to finish it out!

Tammy May 30, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I love the show My name is earl i would love to see season 5 and more it’s a great show so please bring it back.

Rachel May 29, 2012 at 8:19 am

This is bullshit your even considering cancelling the show. My name is Earl has got to be one of the funniest TV shows ever created.

Caity Perry May 28, 2012 at 3:05 am

This is so awesome — I just recently finished watching all four seasons, and I’m so happy to see this!! As I watched and laughed at hilarious Catalina and the amazing Jason Lee, I wished more people watched the show so I could laugh at it with others… Simply love this show.

Jmtz78 May 27, 2012 at 12:59 am

Bring it back it is better than all them stupid reality shows.
My name is earl, the walking dead, and lost the best shows ever made.

Tank May 24, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I love this show… Plz just put it on it was one of those show that come along ones in a lifetime.

Cobra king May 22, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Plz bring back my name is earl it is by far one of the greatest shows of all time most likely will always be one of my favorites

kaylee May 21, 2012 at 5:18 pm

son of a bitch!! bring back my name is earl i just finished the fourth season and I NEED MORE!!!

Tom May 19, 2012 at 10:56 am

Please bring My name is Earl back!
That is my favorite show of all time.
Why would anyone even consider cancelling this show? IDIOTS!

If it aint broke don’t try and fix it by pushing lesser shows on us that we clearly don’t like.
We like Earl. Bring the show back. We never got to see the second part of the two part episode that ended the season. What a ripoff.

Vanessa May 14, 2012 at 12:26 pm

My name is Earl is by far one of the greatest shows ever created! I don’t understand how shows like Family Guy or South Park can stand a candle to Earl. While those shows are out to purposely offend and downgrade people, Earl is out to make the world a better place…with the help of Karma ;)
It obvious that there are tons of fans who are let down by the cancellation. I hope that I will see my favorite cast of people back and at it soon!

nicholas haislip May 6, 2012 at 10:44 pm

o.k. then……..if? turner telivision or FOX dosen’t have a F’N spine nor a set of brass….how about MY NAME IS EARL on SPIKE TV!?…………….nothing more manley than earl hickey & spike t.v. ………………..

Nicholas haislip May 6, 2012 at 10:33 pm

the t.v. show MY NAME IS EARL kicked sooo much ass!!,i can not go a single day with out watching EARL on t.v & on my dvd’s.i wanna see earl come back,also see randy comeback with joy & MY MAN! darnell”CRABMAN”turner i DEFINANTLY! cant get enough of crabman….dont for get ralph tooo buddy’s ROCK & ROLL BUDDIES!!!!!! so long story short HELL YEAH SEASON 5!!! soooo come on! TBS BRING BACK EARL,BRING BACK EARL,BRING….BACK…..EARL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott Wooten May 6, 2012 at 2:33 pm

PLEASE bring back “My Name Is Earl”. This is one of the greatest shows to come out ever – easily comparable with “Friends” – as far as cast and easily matches it for guest appearances, IN JUST 4 SEASONS!! It’s just dense not to think that after the amount of time it’s had to gather a much bigger following now that s new season wouldn’t be bigger than the comeback of “Family Guy” to say the least. BRING BACK EARL!!!!