My Name Is Earl: TBS in Talks for Season Five of Cancelled Sitcom

My Name Is EarlThe once popular My Name Is Earl sitcom was cancelled last month. After four seasons on NBC, the show’s executive producer, Greg Garcia, was informed early in the morning, just 30 minutes before the news was given to the press.

While being dumped by the peacock network didn’t come as a huge surprise, Garcia wasn’t ready for the show to end. He told the LA Times, “There’s a lot of reasons the show would work well on another network, and I think we’d do very well with some promotion. We certainly feel like we have more stories to tell. That’s why we left the show on season four on a cliffhanger. And I know we’ve got at least another season in us and a lot of great ideas. So if another network wants to put us on, fantastic. Nothing that would make me happier.”

It was largely presumed that the FOX network would take on Earl since the sitcom’s produced by a sister company, 20th Century Fox Television. Execs at the network apparently downplayed the possibility and, when the time came, decided to pass.

Would you like to see Earl saved?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ethan Suplee, “Randy” on the show, broke the news to fans, writing, “Thanks for the effort guys, we appreciate it. It seems that Earl is actually dead. Fox has passed. The mustache will live on in our hearts.”

Now, TBS is apparently interested in keeping Earl going. The cable channel has been airing the show in syndication and expressed some interest in picking up the show at the May upfronts.

Steve Koonin, president of Turner Entertainment Networks, told Company Town that the network likes to develop original programming but that new episodes of an established show like Earl would be an asset in drawing viewers to sample them. At the time, Koonin hadn’t been approached by 20th Century Fox but said, “Tell them to give me a call. We’re in the book.”

The discussions for 13 new episodes of Earl are still in the early stages and there are a some major hurdles that would need to be overcome before they could become a reality. The actors and writers have all been released from their contracts and they’d have to be renegotiated. Also, the show is an expensive single-camera comedy and the overall budget would be an issue as well.

On the positive side however, the show is already in syndication and more episodes would mean additional rerun money for years to come. With that in mind, the studio and participating talent will likely want to make the deal work if at all possible.

While Earl’s return is still considered a longshot, the fact that there are discussions to revive the series is certainly a good sign. What do you think?

883 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. earl hickey says

please put my name is earl back on it makes me cry that i hear they cancelled it please put it back on please please please please

2. Anonymous says

Put earl back on its the only show I watched and now I’m lost without it ever episode was amazingly funny and good put it back on !!!!!!!!!

3. Paul Davis says

Whoever was responsible for cancelling “My Name Is Earl” was probably someone who was unhappy with their own life, saw the world thru negative eyes, and had absolutely no sense of humor. They probably didn’t like “Sledge Hammer”, “Police Squad”, “Married With Childred”, or the “Airplane” and “Naked Gun” movies. If that person would bring the show back and make good on their bad decision to cancel the series, they could scratch that off their list and Karma would make their life good again! Come’on, whadda say?! Like Earl says, “It’s the right thing to do!”

4. Anonymous says

I completely agree with what everyone is saying. You left us wanting more. We will never know what happens. You could have atleast ended it with a complete episode and not a to be continued, I mean come on. Bring My Name Is Earl back PLEASE.

5. Anonymous says

I completely agree with what everyone is saying. I’m upset cause now we will never know what happens in season 5 opener. You left us wanting to see more. Please bring it back this is a funny show with great actors and actresses.

6. Jayce Buttler says

Another suggestion, when my name is earl comes to a finale close, it totally would be awesome to do my name is randy or joy, randy is my first pic due to the fact he started a list of his own but then it was just dropped like it never existed. So it’s an idea to keep this show going :)

7. Jayce Buttler says

This show has been the greatest ever. It’s funny, gets me through my difficult days at work when I can come home to a lunch break with my name is earl for some laughs. It teaches you a lot honestly plus karma is really a big role in my life. Please bring it back.

8. David Sullivan says

I don’t know how they could get rid of such a great show. Why can’t they get rid of the crappy one’s and keep the good ones like “My Name Is Earl”. This show was one of the best one’s by far! I think they should ask the public before just cancelling a great show like this. Honestly if they brought back “My Name Is Earl” it would bump their ratings greatly! Who ever decided to pull the plug on “Earl” should be fired because they obviously don’t have their networks best interest in mind. As for MILLIONS of other watchers and myself, Please bring back “My Name Is Earl”. It’s a win – win for everyone! The more viewers that are happy, the more money there is to be made. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

9. michael candelario says

Hi my name is michael and ive been wacthing the show my name is earl ive seen many shows and this show is my favorite is one of the best ive seen i come home from log hur of work and sit down and wacth the show even repeat it sometimes of how good i thinik it is and very funny unforthunatly ive found out that it was cancelled but may come back i eman i would pay to wacth this show or buy it on dvd if it was possible i think it should be put back on i may not understand how producers work or money that is involved in making a show but this is one that is worth putting in effort in the many shows ive seen some just are not worth my time but this one is awsome!!!!!! i give it 5 stars and i know many poeple who gather to wacth the episodes just sad there arent any at this time :(

10. sassy says

This show just makes me smile!!! The show should be revived not just because of the cliffhanger, but this sitcom shows alot of heart. You don’t have many shows that express the joy of doing good!!! Please bring Earl, Randy, Joy, and Crab Man back!!! Television needs this comedy back!!!