My Own Worst Enemy: NBC Cancels Christian Slater TV Show

My Own Worst EnemyThough it was promoted ad nauseum during the coverage of the Summer Olympics, NBC could find few friends for their My Own Worst Enemy series. The TV show has been cancelled after airing just four episodes.

My Own Worst Enemy follows the strange life of Henry Spivey (Christian Slater), a hum-drum suburbanite with a wife and two kids (played by Madchen Amick, Taylor Lautner, and Bella Thorne). Unknown to Henry and his loved ones, he has a dual identity as a secret operative and trained killer named Edward Albright.

Edward works for a superspy organization under supervisor Mavis Heller (Alfre Woodard) and is partnered with friend and fellow operative Tom Grady/Raymond Carter (Mike O’Malley). Others in the series include Omid Abtahi, Saffron Burrows, James Cromwell, Sarai Givaty, Mark Ivanir, Mindy Sterling, Missy Yager, Eugenia Yuan, and Louis Giambalvo.

The show debuted on October 13, 2008 on NBC. Despite a lot of high-profile promotion, the premiere attracted only 7.27 million viewers and a 3.0/8 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. The following week, the numbers dropped to 5.69 million and a 2.6/6. The most recent episode hit a low of 4.27 million and 1.8/5. Though Heroes has been struggling this season, Worst Enemy has been losing over 40% of its lead-in audience and more than that in the key demographic.

Should Enemy have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC has announced that they are cancelling the series following the completion of its ninth episode. It’s been confirmed that the network plans to continue to air the series until all of the episodes have been shown.

If Worst Enemy goes uninterrupted, the series finale should air on December 15th, the same night as Heroes’ so-called “fall finale.” Because of the abrupt cancellation, fans of Worst Enemy aren’t expected to be given any kind of conclusion to the show’s ongoing storylines. That’s enough to make even mild-mannered Henry angry. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

173 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Shes says

I don’t get broadcast TV in my house but my husband and I like to watch and purchase movies and certain TV shows. I found My Own Worst Enemy on Amazon, and we watched the entire season in one sitting, we loved it. I can’t believe it was canceled and there won’t be a season 2? It was such a great show, great premise for a show anyway.

2. JACKASS says

what da hell is wrong with u people.gimme bak mi fckin show…:::D i dont care if u dont make ani monei…..its called bad economi deal with it..u even replaced Jay…wth is wrong with nbc these days..even abc is better now and it blows

3. shaun says

Man what the hell is up with these networks, they need an erea on their website’s where they take a vote to cancel a show or not, i mean i guess if a show drops from 7 to 4 million viewers in 4 episodes you could start talking about cancelation but danm ask the viewers first!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Ryan Kitchen says

They are ******** up bad on this one, i thought this show was a great watch, and i was just getting in to it. Good acting and an even better story, I mean how do they justify putting something on the chopping block after four episodes….. I didn’t even have time to tell anyone ” hey check this show out its BA” the only show that remotely resembles this is doll house and come on that show is BAD!!!!! knight rider good riddance but to hack down a great actor like Slater is dumb that show would have gone places.. If they kill heroes im done.. PS.. different network but Fringe must go on and Dexter destroys all, thanks for reading my rant… Peace!!!!!!!!!!

5. Robin says

I gave up watching television 3 years ago because the majority of “entertainment” that Networks produce is garbage. I don’t even have rabbit ears. I found a commercial for MOWE on a DVD and checked it out on NBC. I thought, “Well, well, there is hope for the flowers! Cerebral Entertainment with meat.”
    I don’t know what to be more disappointed with, Networks who won’t stand behind their quality work for a minority of quality viewers or the mindless masses who prefer garbage. I suspect that the major networks will always cater to the “fast food” mentality because there’s more of them and that’s the one draw backs to Capitalism.

6. Avid Tv Watchers says

We LOVED My own worst enemy and were excited every week…and then it was cancelled and now FOX has Dollhouse, which is such a watered down version of My Own Worst Enemy. Dollhouse seems to be just an excuse to get more men watching a show, My Own Worst Enemy has an actual plot, and was miles better than Dollhouse!

7. diappointed says

Good show and canceled? I really enjoyed it and could actually say it was interesting, more than most. Wonder why it wasn’t a big hit. Time slot, ok or don’t have any taste any more?

8. Anonymous says

ugh so not fair i loved how this show was and it was interesting……im so tired of really getting into shows only to see them cancelled its enough to make me wonder why i bother :(

9. Anonymous says

I couldn’t have said it better myself… I had been looking forward to the rest of the season just to find it was cancelled. I thought it was pretty good, what a waste.

10. anonymous says

what the hell. this was a good show. i looked forward to watching it and you went and cancelled it? that is so off the wall idk what the hell you retards were thinking…. it was a great show.

11. says

Why would you cancel one of your best new shows??? Fox has a lot of “good”…I’m not really a fan of “Fox” but for some reason the major networks haven’t come up with many “thought provoking” fiction shows. I LOVED “My own worse enemy” , I got my daughters watching it and they love it too. The writing is off the wall….finally something for the more mature viewer…and you are going to CANCEL it????? Who is watching the helm here???? Maybe Fox should pick it up, they seem to have the edge when it comes to shows that grab you and make you think.
    Hopefully one of the networks will. We really, really enjoy this program.

12. Kevin says

Why cant you just put it at a different time!?? I don’t care what time its on this is the only show Ive ever looked forwards to watching!!

13. Kevin says

Damn that was my favorite show. I don’t usually look forwards to tv shows however for the first time EVER i had. That STINKS!!! Come on NBC obviously people liked the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!