The New Adventures of Old Christine: Cancelled Because of Sexism?

IMAGEAt the recent upfronts, it was announced that CBS was cancelling The New Adventures of Old Christine after five years on the air.

Starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus, the sitcom has been in danger of being cancelled each year and, on a few occasions, ABC expressed interest in taking it over. Though it’s looking doubtful that the alphabet network will indeed save it, discussions are still ongoing.

Kari Lizer, Old Chrisine’s creator, says that the cancellation didn’t surprise her, especially considering the fact that the show was taken out of the Monday night block of sitcoms and has been put on hiatus many times during its run.

She recently told TV Guide, “As far as what happened at CBS, we’ve suffered from a serious lack of support from them since the beginning… I hate to say it, but I’m afraid they don’t care much for the female-of-a-certain-age point of view over there. How else do you explain them squandering the talents of Julia [Louis-Dreyfus] and Wanda [Sykes]?”

The cancellation news came at a particularly bad time for Sykes. Her Saturday night talk series, The Wanda Sykes Show, was also cancelled by FOX. Lizer expects Sykes to bounce back though, noting, “She’s never funnier than when she’s pissed off.”

What do you think? Is CBS’ treatment of Old Christine some kind of sexism or just due to poor ratings?

Cecelia M Budd October 23, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I am so disappointed with the cancellation of this show. I have stated to watch very little of television, it’s just not entertaining any more.
Enough of the reality shows, I live one everyday and don’t want to come home and watch one. I don’t want to watch another talent show either.
Please enough with the CSI”s shows. Do we need one from every state?(CSI Miami, Vegas, New York)

sumi October 21, 2011 at 3:05 pm

What were the ratings? Why exactly was it cancelled? This is such a great show…someone made a poor decision cancelling it.

kelli October 20, 2011 at 11:17 am

This was the BEST show on TV!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring it back. PPPPllllleeeeasseee (as Old Christine would say). It should not have been canceled. I never could figure out what day it was on, it was always moving around. Stupid CBS. ABC should pick it up, it’d be great after Modern Family.

Paula October 7, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I am another person that was waiting for the show to return in the fall. I never realized it was cancelled. It was the funniest show and WHY in the devil was it cancelled?

The REALITY shows need to be cancelled, not this FUNNY sitcom.

WHERE ARE YOUR BRAINS? BRING THE SHOW BACK!

Martha October 6, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Love this show! I’m not big into watching sitcoms but the whole cast and the writing is so funny! I wish it would be brought back! Julia is hilarious…she’s so believable as a crazy, lonely, self absorbed mother!

Susanne October 4, 2011 at 10:24 pm

PLEASE BRING THE NEW ADV. OF OLD CHRISTINE BACK ON THE AIR!!!! I HAVEN’T SEEN ANY SHOW THAT COMPARES TO IT. REALITY SHOWS ARE FOR PEOPLE WITH OUT A LIFE. I HAVE A LIFE AND WOULD THIS SHOW TO BE A PART OF IT. I HAVE STOPPED WATCHING ANYTHING ON CBS BECAUSE YOU PEOPLE DON’T KNOW A GOOD SHOW WHEN YOU HAVE IT RIGHT IN YOUR HANDS.
ITS LIKE CANCELLING BREAKFAST!! YOU JUST CAN’T DO IT!!
idiots.

kathie lundine October 4, 2011 at 9:31 am

I dont watch much T.V. but got hooked on this when I was living in Sedona. It is sooo
funny. I love this show please bring it back it is Great!!!

Mimi September 26, 2011 at 6:04 pm

The best show ever!! I can’t believe they cancelled it!!

Patty September 25, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I can’t believe they’ve cancellled this show. Hubby and I watch it every chance we get – even if it’s an episode we’ve seen before. The powers that be at CBS need to have their heads examined!

Judy September 23, 2011 at 1:11 pm

This was one of my favorite shows, so much better then those stupid reality shows. Julia was so funny, and she could be selfish, and likeable at the same time. There are a lot of woman her age, and mine that loved this show, and even my boyfriend thought it was a riot. It might be too late, but someone should pick up this winner!

Rhonda September 20, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I watch to this show in syndication every day! I laugh my fanny off even though I have seen every episode. Every member of that cast is hilarious…especially Hamish Linklater! Some of his lines are awesome and his delivery is perfect…my friends laugh at me for using some of his zings in everyday conversation (“you’re one lipstick-covered menthol away from being Mom”)! And every time Wanda Sykes says “you’re nasty” to Julia I crack up. I so enjoy this show and this group of actors…I am really disappointed that it was cancelled!

SJ TH September 18, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Loved this show, will there be a brave enough network to pick up such a wonderfully written show and work with talented actors:) LPG-S I agree

Amy Dingler September 15, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!! PLEASE BRING IT BACK ON TV!!!!! So funny it makes me laugh out loud!

janice williams August 26, 2011 at 9:48 am

Please please someone or some network bring back or pick up New adv. of old Christine. This show is so funny. We have have been watching the reruns on lifetime but seen them all ):

LPG~S August 22, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I was looking for a place to voice my disapointment in the cancellation of The New Adventures of Old Cristine. Finally a well-written and creative show that took talent to write, and it get’s cancelled. This is why I watch so many movies on-line rather than to try and watch TV. I cannot stand another dance show, stupid night time game show, and especially not another reality show… If I wanted reality, I wouldn’t watch TV. I thought that every character was great, I love some of the looks on little Richie’s face when he got left or was trying to sleep. Great show all the way around. NBC – ABC let’s cut the crap and give your audience some creative writting and humor rather than another stupid reality tv show.