The New Adventures of Old Christine: Cancelled Because of Sexism?

IMAGEAt the recent upfronts, it was announced that CBS was cancelling The New Adventures of Old Christine after five years on the air.

Starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus, the sitcom has been in danger of being cancelled each year and, on a few occasions, ABC expressed interest in taking it over. Though it’s looking doubtful that the alphabet network will indeed save it, discussions are still ongoing.

Kari Lizer, Old Chrisine’s creator, says that the cancellation didn’t surprise her, especially considering the fact that the show was taken out of the Monday night block of sitcoms and has been put on hiatus many times during its run.

She recently told TV Guide, “As far as what happened at CBS, we’ve suffered from a serious lack of support from them since the beginning… I hate to say it, but I’m afraid they don’t care much for the female-of-a-certain-age point of view over there. How else do you explain them squandering the talents of Julia [Louis-Dreyfus] and Wanda [Sykes]?”

The cancellation news came at a particularly bad time for Sykes. Her Saturday night talk series, The Wanda Sykes Show, was also cancelled by FOX. Lizer expects Sykes to bounce back though, noting, “She’s never funnier than when she’s pissed off.”

What do you think? Is CBS’ treatment of Old Christine some kind of sexism or just due to poor ratings?

Kayla March 14, 2012 at 9:21 am

i don’t understand how shows like Jersey Shore and Half the other reality shows are on tv but CBS cancels The New Adventures of Old Christine. It was such a great funny show and i watch the reruns on Lifetime all the time but it just doesn’t make since. Whats wrong with the people who work at CBS.

Mary March 6, 2012 at 6:51 pm

You should bring this show back. A true classic, excellent humor for these times. I watch the reruns over and over on the channel and each time I enjoy them. I am not sure if it is sexism, the TV viewers; or maybe advertisers don’t realize they could do very well. Oh well, as Kristine would say, srew .

Allie February 28, 2012 at 1:57 pm

i hated the main character. i really didnt think she was funny at all i thought she was pathetic. she gave women a bad name. i hope i never meet anyone remotely like that. but the rest of the cast made the show worth watching from time to time. Wanda Sykes is wonderful, new christine, richard, matthew (i dont know the actors) all great talents even the meanie moms and richie were fun to watch but christine was just terrible. i’m not suprised the show got canceled. if people want to watch adults being self asorbed and childish then watch half the shows on fox sunday night.

allee February 27, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I LOVE THE SHOW!!! BRING IT BACK!!!

Anonymous February 27, 2012 at 9:37 am

Can’t believe this show was cancelled. Sooooooo funny. I wish some network would bring it back.

Terri Welch February 22, 2012 at 5:48 pm

This is one of the best sitcoms that has been on in a long time and I don’t for the life of me understand why they would cancelle it !! I’ve waited for so long for them to get it together and put this show back on and if possible with the same actors …

Margie February 18, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I ran across this show on demand and think this show is hilarious! Excellent writing and acting and the actors really click with each other ! I cannot imagine why CBS would cancel it. WHAT IDIOTS!!
I too would love to see it make a return.

Anonymous January 27, 2012 at 10:22 am

This was one of the funniest shows on tv and clearly sexism. Although its probably way to late to bring it back now, a lot of people would love to see it male a return. These execs really need to get in touch with what the people really want!

Michelle January 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm

What is wrong with you people! I am so sick of seeing suspense shows, I want this show back!!! It was soooo funny!!! I still watch it everyday on lifetime. At least someone still shows the re-runs! CNX How I Met Your Mother already and put The Old Adventures of New Christine back on Mon nights!!!

ginger l December 8, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I am sooo very sad to see this hilarious sitcom cancelled! I watch at least 2 reruns every single night and laugh myself to sleep! Lucy would be proud!! Bring it back! PLEASE!

AJ November 27, 2011 at 11:30 pm

COULDN’T YOU JUST START WHERE IT LEFT OFF? THAT WOULD BE GREAT, IT WOULD BE LIKE IT NEVER WENT AWAY. I KNOW THAT WOULD BE SILLY, BUT COM-ON, PLEASE, BRING IT BACK!!! THERE ARE FAR TO MANNY REALITY SHOWS !!AMERICA NEEDS COMEDY SITCOMS TO BRING LAUGHTER AND BALANCE INTO OUR LIVES!!! WE HAVE ENOUGH DRAMA IN OUR EVERY DAY TO DAY LIVES!!

AJ November 27, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I never watched the show when it was running, it was because I worked odd hours and caught up on sleep every chance I had! However, I do watch the reruns and I have to say, this is my favorite show ever!!!! I cant believe it was cancelled!!! You would think the network would keep it on! I mean isn’t there a show called men of a certain age?

L. Alexander November 24, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I agree!! Im actually disappointed at myself for not watching it was on the air. I watch the re-runs every single day & LOVE every episode…how could they cancrl that great of a show???

karen November 10, 2011 at 3:15 pm

it was the best show ever. Julia and Wanda were so funny and so was Matthew and Richard. I can’t believe they could take off a funnier show then this. I am very disappointed.

Amy McCallister November 8, 2011 at 7:54 am

OK, TV execs!!!!! Are you reading these posts? Christine has a strong following that WANTS THE SHOW BACK!!!!! Come on, with all of the mindless and stupid shows on today how can this one be cancelled? The entire cast was hilarious in their own way, and worked soooo well together! Please!!!!!!

Mitch February 1, 2012 at 10:31 am

This is a really late post if it does, but I discovered this show too late. I am a 50 something year old black guy. I have almost wet myself every episode laughing. My family and friends now watch re-runs. The show is sexist? It’s a comedy. Each ism is equally in the arsenal to make for humor. I hope the show producers and cast make a billion on non network tv like the one with The Walking Dead and He’ll on Wheels!