Nip/Tuck: FX Series Cancelled But Not Ending Soon

Nip/TuckAt today’s Television Critics Association presentation in Beverly Hills, FX’s president surprised many by announcing that the popular Nip/Tuck series had been cancelled. On the positive side, there are still quite a few new episodes on the way.

Nip/Tuck premiered back on July 22, 2003 and tells the story of two plastic surgeons, Sean McNamara (Dylan Walsh) and Christian Troy (Julian McMahon). The series mixes drama with satire and irreverent humor as the doctors take on often strange cases. Nip/Tuck was initially set in Miami, Florida but the characters moved to Los Angeles at the start of the current season, the show’s fifth. The series was recently praised by the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) for its ongoing use of homosexual characters.

Today, FX president/GM John Landgraf told reporters that the network had ordered 19 episodes for the drama’s sixth, and final, season. That order’s a few less than a traditional TV season but it will bring the series’ installment total to 100 episodes. Series creator Ryan Murphy will stay on board until the end as the showrunner.

Should Nip/Tuck be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

When asked about the cancellation, Landgraf noted that he felt it was time and doubted that any FX show would surpass 100 episodes. He said, “If you tried to do 150 episodes of The Sopranos, you would begin to diminish the quality of those shows. The David Chases (The Sopranos) and Shawn Ryans (The Shield), they’re taking on social commentary and grand sweeping questions. If we want to go after that brass ring, we have to accept they have limited shelf life.”

Though the move may be a disappointment to devoted fans of the plastic surgeon series, casual fans won’t realize the show has been axed for some time. There are actually 27 new episodes yet to come. Only 14 episodes of the fifth season have aired thus far with the remaining eight scheduled to begin airing in January. The sixth season is expected to begin running in 2010 and not finish airing until early 2011. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

RT April 1, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I can’t believe this show ended!!! Own every season and sooo in love with it! It’s over and done with – I get it, but I can’t believe they seperated Sean and Christian, after watching SIX seasons of these two guy, practically BROTHERS, grow together, they decide to end it with them going seperate ways? Defffffinitely needs one more “Finale” Season with a BETTER ending!!!!

Tania December 1, 2010 at 12:33 am

I cant believe they are not going to continue because of age. Age is a never ending factor to sociaty. It is a natural way of being. I guess its true one thing they say in this show. YOU DO NEED PLASTIC SURGERY to make it past 30 in the biz. Troy and Sean or any other actor on this show needs to have plastic surgery to make this continue. I hightly doubt that viewers are going to complain on how OLD they look. We most all will have the chance to be there someday or may already be there and enjoy the company of NIP/TUCK wow. how laime can FX be…this is an all time favorite show. You so have to bring this show back. There is so much to write about in this story. Its not an ending it has a….. to be continue on the last season…BRING IT BACK.

Will August 8, 2010 at 10:20 am

Ending Nip/Tuck takes the purpose and meaning out of my life. I have no future or skills and I live through the skills of these surgeons. Without Christian I couldn’t speak to women. Without Sean I would be able to handle my emotions. Overall I feel this is a dangerous thing ending this show so soon. Aging main characters is a ridicoulous reason to end a show. Let them get old, its what they done the entire show. FX! has is the most ridicoulous network in the world. “Well we have a hit but lets stomp it out before we go for the gold”. Thats pretty much what there saying to me. Fine take away the only thing that gives me sanctum in life. Its okay, theres always the Jolly Roger cookbook.

Joe July 18, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I try to stay away from getting hooked on FX shows cause this is what happens everytime, cancelled too soon!! Just like Dirt and The Riches!! F*** FX!

melissa janesky May 24, 2010 at 11:14 pm

the only good thing about the way they ended the show is that they made it possible to start it up again. kimbers body was never found so they can bring her back as well. she could have been picked up by a fishing boat or something along that line. i really hope they consider bringing the show back. and if they do, please please do not replace the actors. fan forever

Leianna March 12, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I hated the series finale. I am 23 years old and would have kept on watching, I don’t care that the main characters are aging. Everyone ages! They could have done so much more, like have Matt marry Ramona and maybe Kimber still be alive. They could have at least made it a happier ending. FX and Ryan Murphy made a mistake. Is it possible they read all the comments and make a comeback? I would watch and am certain they would have a lot of viewers.

Rob March 11, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Wow, this show really brought me quite a way, I remember the first time I saw this show, My Ex-Gf and I used to watch this show all the time and now that I have seen the end of Niptuck. Never missed an episode, show existed all throughout college and work and most of my other life experiences. Heck, I even cancelled time to hang out with friends just so I can stay and watch the expected show premier, lol. But… Gonna miss you Niptuck, wish it could go on and on, but all things to come to an end I suppose :(

jen March 4, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Is age discrimination why they canceled it? Interesting, the finale had all their brood. All probable will be represented as hip new plastic surgeons, riding up on Harleys, in a future series; where they put too much makeup, fluffy hairstyles to make very young actors look older, like in many other series , smooth faces and flat stomachs all around and one will have to try to remember the story line for each because there aren’t many differences in the characters visually.

Dreamdragyn March 4, 2010 at 10:30 am

I hated the fact that the show was ending. This past season, they wrote it as if they no longer cared what happened…so much left on the table: Like how did Shawn meet his ‘black widow’ wife?? THAT could have been a whole season…2) Why did they just have LIZ and Christian Divorce over the summer break (when he found out he did not have cancer anymore)? They could have let the changes of their relationship develop over the season before the divorce!!!
3) Matt marrying that girl and was going to go away ‘forever’, but then they have AVA come back and he just LEAVES the girl at the alter? They could have had a season of him turning back to his old ways and having this girl dump him at the end!!
4) AVA showing up at the end?? what??

Carissa May 14, 2010 at 8:26 pm

NOT TO MENTION THE FACT OF JULIA NEVER FIGURING OUT THAT IT WAS EDEN WHO SHOT HER AND HOW OLIVA REALLY DIED…. IS BS. THEY MUST MUST MUST MAKE A NEW SEASON SOMETIME IN THE NEAR FUTURE WITH A CLOSING POINT IF THE HAVE TO END IT. THE WAY THIS ENDED LEFT WAAAYYYYY TOO MUCH OPEN!

Alex March 4, 2010 at 10:16 am

im not really gonnna kill myself, but im sooo disapointed. :(

Alex March 4, 2010 at 10:15 am

IM GONNA KILL MYSELF NOW THAT NIPTUCK ENDED. I HATE MY LIFE. I WAS OBSESSED WITH NIPTUCK. I HAVE NIPTUCK TSHIRTS A NIPTUCK LICENSE PLATE AND I MADE A NIPTUCK BROCH. IM FRICKEN PEEEVED.

anemonae March 4, 2010 at 1:09 am

I just watched what was announced as the “series finale.” Is it over? Will it come back? I have grown to love this show!

Lori March 3, 2010 at 11:18 pm

I’m so sad to see this show off the air, I looked forward to every twisted, sick, wrong, exciting episode. I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! I wish it could go on and on, I’ll miss Sean and Christian!!

kat March 3, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Cancelling because of age discrimination? They don’t want to have a show with two aging characters? Many episodes have shown this as it is focused on, Sean getting botox-Christian examining his body as it has changed with age: Isn’t it more likely that Surgeons may have enough confidence in themselves that this wouldn’t be an issue.
Unlike the writers/producers or whoever believes that the audience does not want to view older main characters. Do they realize that much more Mature audiences savor this show and watch it in greater numbers; and to this Mature generation, it will become our ‘Matock’ ‘Murder She Wrote” Cult Classic. Let Sean and Christian age. In reality, most plastic surgeons offering services don’t look great themselves. Sean and Christian can get wrinkles, grey hair, throw their glasses on: The audience won’t mind. Think of the classic shows ” Marcus Welby, MD “”Quincy”"Murder She Wrote” “Golden Girls” “Diagnosis Murder”.The older generation grew up watching main characters being older and heroic-Our Superman of the older era was a grown up- not a teenager. Our X-men were men- not teen titans: other example are parents in many show “Leave it to Beaver”; “The Partdridge Family”- mother. It can be done- good writing can make the show attractive and possible and the source of materials should be endless as Sean and Christian are characters older with money- they have the money to travel, jet ski, and pursue many things.

Jessica February 24, 2010 at 9:29 am

Ihave watched this show since it first went on the air …….I have never missed an episode or season of this show ……I am very dissapointed at the thought of it being cancelled…it is a show that I shared with my older brother when he became terminally ill and his only means of entertainment was television….I do hope it is reconsidered…..