No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency: TV Show Cancelled But May Return as Movies

No. 1 Ladies' Detective AgencyAt the TCA press tour, Michael Lombardo, HBO’s president of programming, spoke about the future of No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency. Though it won’t be continuing as a TV series, there are plans to continue the story in the form of two movies.

No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency ran for seven episodes on HBO, from March until May in 2009. The comedy-drama was filmed on location in Botswana and follows Mma Ramotswe as she operates a detective agency. The cast includes Jill Scott, Anika Noni Rose, Lucian Msamati, and Desmond Dube.

This weekend, Lombardo said, “We’re talking to our friends at the Weinstein Company about the possibility of, and actually developing two scripts, possibly to do two movies. And if we can get the cast together and if everything can come together we’ve love to do it. So it’s alive.”

If they get the final go-ahead, the two HBO movies would likely be shot back-to-back. It seems they won’t be filmed completely in Botswana however.

It was reported last month that the show’s producers had relocated from Botswana to Cape Town. The Botswana government, hard hit by the recession, balked at the idea of subsidizing film production while South Africa doubled their rebate offer.

If the movies are actually made, they’ll be filmed mostly in Cape Town with occasional lensing in Botswana, the locale where the story is set.

What do you think? Are you a fan of No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency? Would you like to see it return as a pair of movies?

Canceled and renewed TV show

515 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Mickie Fisk says

Love, love and loved this show of The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. I look forward to seeing more episodes. This show was so captivating and yet innocent to watch, I didn’t even want to take a potty break. Sad to hear that there was never even a season 2, 3 or 4 or more. My girlfriend purchased the whole 1st season and now I am going to buy my own.

2. Monlita says

I love the show and truly looked forward for future series and I’m so disappointed that it cancelled. I hope they would bring it back, both in series and movies. I never get tired watching them.

3. Toni says

I was glancing at the different series HBO presents, and came across this series No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency and I enjoyed it very much. I was wondering what happened to the next series when I discovered it has been cancelled. The series was refresheing, humorous and Jill Scott was amazing. They really need to bring back this show.

4. C. Girl says

I just finished the last episode of the series. I am heart broken to learn this series was cancelled. I feel that I have lost new and exciting friends! I loved the location!
    I loved the opening and closing graphic designs. I loved everything about this series! I even helped my mom find it on her computer so she could watch something worthwhile for a change. Each show left me with a good feeling to carry with me through my day or night. Two movies would be wonderful. But a continued series would be better. I understand government red tape…so shoot it in Cape Town! Just bring it back to HBO!! PLEEEASE!

5. Wendy says

I loved the first series so disappointed there wasn’t a second series, let’s hope the film gets made!

6. janet herbruck says

How could this series not be continued???? I just watched the whole first season and now feel like all the next pieces are missing– the following seasons. This is a wonderfully crafted story unlike anything else on TV, a true breath of fresh air. The characters in this series are so special and totally “make” the story a real joy to watch.

I hate almost every show that does get renewed — most of which are based on violence and trashiness in modern life. Why do these shows get rewarded for their classlessness but not the ONE show that emphasizes doing good in life and being a good person?? It appears to me that whoever decided not to make the next seasons of this series is exactly the low class type of person that promotes the other trash on TV. I am totally disgusted.

7. Richard says

This is a great series. Easy to watch, entertaining and wonderful plots and cast. Would love to have it continued.

8. Doreen Baylus says

Why was the tv series not continued? It was a refreshing and entertaining show. Please tell me why it was cancelled.

9. Jo Anna Holmes says

Where is the season 2 of Ladies Detect. Agency???? This is an funny and engrossing series. What made HBO stop producing it, and is the BBC still funding it so we have to wait for Masterpiece Theater to put it on??? Another example of why I no longer pay the extra for HBO.
    Jo A

10. gary says

The series is refreshing, humorous, with colourful characters and a beautiful setting in Botswana. I purchased the Series One for Christmas for my family and all have enjoyed watching the first five episodes, the second time for me. It is a very welcome change from the violence, cursing and poor scripts that are now coming out of Hollywood.
    I would like to see a second series and possibly more, shot in Botswana again with the same charming cast. I now would like to visit the country.
    Gary. Canada.