No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency: TV Show Cancelled But May Return as Movies

No. 1 Ladies' Detective AgencyAt the TCA press tour, Michael Lombardo, HBO’s president of programming, spoke about the future of No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency. Though it won’t be continuing as a TV series, there are plans to continue the story in the form of two movies.

No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency ran for seven episodes on HBO, from March until May in 2009. The comedy-drama was filmed on location in Botswana and follows Mma Ramotswe as she operates a detective agency. The cast includes Jill Scott, Anika Noni Rose, Lucian Msamati, and Desmond Dube.

This weekend, Lombardo said, “We’re talking to our friends at the Weinstein Company about the possibility of, and actually developing two scripts, possibly to do two movies. And if we can get the cast together and if everything can come together we’ve love to do it. So it’s alive.”

If they get the final go-ahead, the two HBO movies would likely be shot back-to-back. It seems they won’t be filmed completely in Botswana however.

It was reported last month that the show’s producers had relocated from Botswana to Cape Town. The Botswana government, hard hit by the recession, balked at the idea of subsidizing film production while South Africa doubled their rebate offer.

If the movies are actually made, they’ll be filmed mostly in Cape Town with occasional lensing in Botswana, the locale where the story is set.

What do you think? Are you a fan of No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency? Would you like to see it return as a pair of movies?

Jennifer Phillips March 3, 2014 at 9:50 am

I would love to see the shows back on TV. I read the books. It’s so refreshing to see that type on show. I don’t like a lot of things on the television, such as talk shows and reality shows which seems to be taking over.

Anonymous March 2, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Please make more seasons of this great series. Absolutely loved it!!!!

Joe March 1, 2014 at 10:54 am

The writing and acting are first-rate. The story is rich with depth and subtle humor and intelligence and tender moments.

I am hoping to see more of this series, in whatever form it can take.

I was wondering who was behind this brilliant work and noticed that there were several Jews behind the project. I was surprised that Oprah did not have her hands in this work but now that I think about it, she supports the Tyler Perry projects so I am not surprised that she is not involved in this type of work. Oh well.

John February 25, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Please make a whole second season of this serie. Great actors, loved every episode.

mk February 22, 2014 at 11:03 pm

I would love to see the series continue… It is so hard to find decent programming. (I never got into vampires, reality & can only watch so many zombies!) Please bring this show back!!

XtraP February 18, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Please, please, please bring The Number One Ladies Detective Agency back. I would rather see the series continue but will settle for feature films if necessary. I echo the other fans in that you must keep the cast in place.

Lets have it ASAP!

lavon February 18, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I love the show and my family enjoyed watching it together . I purchased the DVD complete series as soon as they came out. We enjoy watching them when guess come over to visit with us. Pls revive this series again, something old can be made new.

Marlene Abrams February 16, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Hi,
I stumbled upon this series at my library in Montreal and was delighted, having read all of the books in the series. I never tire of them and Alexander McCall Smith is one of the best storytellers ever. The books, and as shown in the tv series is all about morality and it never gets boring. The cast chosen to play the characters are excellent. Mme Ramotswe played by Jill Scott is just perfect, what a knockout smile. And Grace Makutsi, her secretary playes the character masterfully – she’s amazing and you really have to love her – she has such aspirations and honesty. And the two flunkies who work for J L B Matekoni are hilarious. I don’t think they’ll ever smarten up. And he himself was also well chosen. Everyone in it is perfect, even the hair dresser. Yes, I would defintely like to see the life of these characters continue on screen. The last episode really leaves us hanging!

Marcia Floyd February 16, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Please, please, please! ! YOU MUST BRING. BACK ‘THE NO.1 LADIES DETECTIVE AGENCY’ AND WITH THE SAME CAST. I have only just stumbled on it and there is nothing like it. I am going out to find the books.

Amanda James February 12, 2014 at 9:08 pm

HBO please keep your word! We have been waiting for the movies
The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency!!!!
It’s time, same cast. Make the movie already!

Teresa Alvarino February 12, 2014 at 9:41 am

Please, Please, Please bring back No.l Ladies Detective Agency, PLEASE, HBO!!!!! This was one of the best shows and I have been watching all seven of the first season, over and over on HBO on Demand; I don’t want to see it in the movies, I want to have it shown in my home every week so that I know when all else fails, I have Ladies Detective show to truly enjoy!!! Why is it when a network has something great, they decide to end it? This show is so different and original that it has such a warm, calming effect even though it is drama and, the acting is superb!! PLEASE, CAN SOMEONE HEAR THE PLEAS OF THOSE OF US WHO LOVE THE NO. l LADIES DETECTIVE AGENCY SHOW AND BRING IT BACK?

Teresa Alvarino February 12, 2014 at 9:34 am

PLEASE, PLEASE SOMEONE HEAR MY PLEA AND BRING BACK TO HBO , NO.

Sarai February 11, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Loved that show! I still watch reruns on HBO on demand. Can’t get enough of it. Please please please bring the show back!

Annabelle Comer February 10, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Love the books as well as the first season of this wonderful story. I would love to see it finished up and not leave the fans hanging. Thanks for all the fabulous work you have done! Can’t wait for the next installment.
Thanks

Juanita February 6, 2014 at 2:34 am

Loved the series..very disappointed it wasn’t renewed for a second season..would love to see the final movies!

Cyndi February 8, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I loved the first season and would absolutely watch the movies if they make them.