ABC Orders More Episodes of New Shows; Are They Safe?

No Ordinary FamilyABC hasn’t exactly been having the best luck with their new shows this season. They’ve cancelled two of them already (The Whole Truth and My Generation) and none of the others have made much of a splash. Of the new crop, No Ordinary Family has been getting the best ratings but it could hardly be called a success, averaging a mediocre 2.6 in the demo.

The network is in a bit of a pickle. They still have some very successful programs but some of them have been on the air for several years and they need to find new blood. This new crop has been a disappointment so far but it looks like they really want to make them work.

The network has now given full season orders to two new series — No Ordinary Family and Better with You — and ordered a handful of more installments from Detroit 1-8-7 and Brothers & Sisters. Are they safe?

Four episodes of No Ordinary Family have aired so far. The series debuted to a 3.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 10.69 million total viewers. Those numbers are positive. Unfortunately, the show’s ratings have sunk every week. Last week’s episode hit a 2.2 in the demo and 7.41 million viewers. If the ratings don’t even off, this show will certainly be on the chopping block.

Which is the best new ABC show?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Better with You hasn’t been dropping like No Ordinary Family but didn’t get as good a start either. The sitcom debuted to a 2.5 in the demo and 7.86 million total viewers. It now seems to have leveled off at a 2.1 in the demo. Though sandwiched between The Middle (averaging a 2.6) and ABC’s highly successful Modern Family (averaging a 4.8), Better with You has averaged just a 2.2 rating. It seems a percentage of viewers are making a conscious effort to skip the freshman comedy. ABC has several other sitcom possibilities waiting in the wings and they’ll surely try them.

Detroit 1-8-7 is doing even worse in the ratings and as a result didn’t get a full season. ABC has just ordered five additional installments, bringing the first season total to 18 episodes. Now that My Generation and The Whole Truth have been dumped (though the latter isn’t off the air yet), Detroit 1-8-7 is the lowest-rated not-cancelled scripted show on the network. It’s averaging a 1.9 rating in the demo and is consistently in third place for the timeslot. Unless the numbers turnaround, it doesn’t have a future and will surely be cancelled in the spring.

On the positive side, as previously reported, Brothers & Sisters has received an order for four more episodes, bringing the season total to 22 installments. When the network only ordered 18 episodes in the spring, many speculated that the show was on its way out. The ratings have been good this season and, luckily for the cast and crew, they’re better than any of the new shows. For now, Brothers & Sisters looks to be on track for season six.

What do you think? Are any of ABC’s new shows worth watching? Are you surprised that any were given orders for additional episodes? Will any survive to see a second season?

jeanine white March 8, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I love to watch the show every week. I think if the show was aired at a early time like 8 or 9 on tuesday or wednesday instead of just cancelling it, it would get better ratings, just a suggestion.

Darlane March 8, 2011 at 6:50 am

I LOVE THIS SHOW, SO VERY UNHAPPY WHEN IT WAS PRE-EMPTED TWICE IN A ROW. IT IS GRITTY, REALISTIC & GRAT ACTING. CAN’T SAY ENOUGH , BIG TIME HOPE FOR RENEWAL.

gerry kelly March 7, 2011 at 4:42 pm

187 is great great acting and good stories give it a chance

Benman March 2, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I think Detroit 187 is a good show. It’s just taking a while to get started. The characters are slow in developing. Its also up against stiff competition.

Connie March 2, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I really like Detroit 187. Pls bring it back. It is a good show and so down to earth and believeable.

Waynewright March 1, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Started to watch Detroit 187 tonight and was saddened to see it had once again been preempted with 2020. More crap on charlie sheen and his latest antics. Hard to believe i really liked that guy at one time. In my opinion Detroit 187 is the best new drama on tv this season. All one has to do is watch the people choice awards to see why theres so much crud on primetime tv.

Marsa March 1, 2011 at 6:55 am

Detroit 187 should be renewed. It is a great show — No more soap operas at night and no more reality shows — PLEASE!

Keep Detroit 1 8 7 alive.

Diana February 23, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I find DWTS is too long to watch, Yawn…………! Hawai Five-o is not like the original and is awful. Detroit 187 & Blue Bloods are excellent, Mike & Molly are ok, My dad Says kinda sweet,Harry’s Law is very good, Two and a half men great as well Big Bang Theory.

Enough with the reality shows and give us family dramas.

Thank you.

urila February 17, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I watch 2 shows and these 2 are it. PLEASE keep them on the air. both are good and fun to watch, There is so little on tv that really I enjoy but these 2 are the best. please don’t cancel either one or at least give them closer. thanks urila

Rob February 3, 2011 at 8:37 am

Better wtih you is poorly written and all of the jokes are either pushed WAY to hard, or just not funny. There’s not even 1 likeable charactor on the show, and I hate laugh tracks so, this one stinks to high heaven, PLEASE put something on between The Middle and Modern family good enough so I don’t have to change the channel for that half hour.

Jack January 30, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I agree detriot 187 is a well written Show !! Hope ABC doesn,t cancel !! They cancelled ( The Outlaw ) earliery in the Year and I think part of the Problem was they Started it on a Friday Night Slot !! Average Canadians and I think US people watch more from Monday to Thursday so it really didn,t have a chance !! They Switched it to Late after they announced Cancelling it !! Most people go out Friday Nights and its Sports on Saturday and Sunday!!

sam January 27, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Why is it that great shows, like Detroit 187 , are canceled but the stupid “reality shows” like the batchlor stay.

Our country I feel is begining to raise “idiots” who live in a polyanna world.

If abc does cancel this I hope that cable will be smart enough to pick it up

trishlee January 26, 2011 at 10:52 am

I am really disappointed to see Detroit 187 cancelled. This show was quality and I looked forward to it each week.

April January 25, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I agree with everyone here….why do the awful shows remain? I am so sick and tired of has-been starts singing, dancing, or whatever the heck they do. I never watch those! With Law and Order now L.A. it seems like soo many shows are out of touch. I like Detroit 187 because its NOT in New York or LA…its in a city that actually has gang problems, crime because of jobloss….you know REAL people problems.
Cast is great, nothing is over the top, and story lines make sense! AH! Only reason I watch ABC on Tuesdays is because of Detroit 187.

Susan Barstow January 20, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I think Detroil 187 is a great show. The acting is great and all the characters are very interesting. Because of this, the plots take care of themselves.

I would hate to see this show cancelled. I agree with Cindy that it keeps getting better.