Numb3rs: TV Show Cancelled by CBS; No Season Seven

Numb3rsAs expected, CBS has pulled the plug on their long-running drama, Numb3rs. A mainstay of the Friday night schedule, brothers Charlie and Don Eppes won’t be back next fall with a seventh season.

Numb3rs revolves around an FBI agent (Rob Morrow) and his genius brother (David Krumholtz) who helps solve cases with mathematics. The cast also features Judd Hirsch (as their father), Alimi Ballard, Dylan Bruno, Navi Rawat, Aya Sumika, and Peter MacNicol.

The cancellation doesn’t come as much of a surprise, especially when you look at the figures.

The ratings have dropped quite a bit in recent years. Last season fell to an average of a 2.2 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 10.2 million total viewers. This season, the ratings dropped further still, to a 1.8 rating and 8.26 million viewers. CBS cut the show’s episode order from 22 to 16 installments last fall. While the official word was that CBS had an overflow of original programming, networks don’t usually cut the orders of successful shows.

Should Numb3rs have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The cast and crew filmed what could serve as a series finale and Morrow and Krumholtz signed on for new TV show pilots. While the actors would be contractually obligated to return to Numb3rs if CBS decided to renew it, ABC and FOX were confident that they wouldn’t.

Last week, it was confirmed that the show’s sets were being dismantled, another sign that Numb3rs was finished. CBS has now made the cancellation official.

On the positive side, Morrow will return next fall in a new series for ABC called The Whole Truth. He’ll play an attorney opposite Joely Richardson. Unfortunately, Krumholtz’s comedy pilot, Tax Man, was not picked up by FOX for the 2010-11 season.

What do you think? Are you satisfied with the way that Numb3rs ended? What will you miss about the show? Will you give The Whole Truth a try?

Abigail September 16, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I miss Numb3rs so much! I have so many great memories of watching that show with my family. I will always love and watch Num3rs! and maybe one day if their smart CBS will bring it back.

Rambo August 25, 2011 at 11:15 pm

One of my favorite shows gone. I guess they will make room for more junk reality TV. It is cheap and draws young viewers. It really goes to show the state of America and the ignorance. We need more shows that show Math and Science are “cool.” I’m beginning to lose hope. Maybe there is a reason for the rich-poor divide growing in America? Kids and young adults want mindless tv series, they don’t want to think. Well, good luck with flipping burgers and watching people compete for a companion… What a joke.

marilyn mikkelsen August 18, 2011 at 11:05 am

i will really miss this show, after viewing all 6 seasons. while the ending did, at least, resolve the series in a positive way, it was still disheartening. everyone needs heroes and role models, and the cast totally exemplified both!

jess August 7, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Im so pissed that they stopped it what am i going to do not knowing the rest of their lives! They were my family i felt like i knew them all personally, it frustrates me to here this

Nor August 6, 2011 at 7:53 am

This what happens when suits decide they can make more money replacing the show with a new one even though the series is a hi with the viewers. In other words, we really don’t count, the advertisers do. We just get jerked around as they swap dollars.

Giuliana July 12, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I see these series on italy chanel tv. I think about it’s very funny, smart and intelligent. I’ m very sorry about these notice, i hope the cbs changed idea and let it on air!

Tyler June 29, 2011 at 12:07 am

i could not believe it when i heard that numb3rs was canceled i can not understand how the rating or viewings were the reason there are far worse shows out there with horrible ratings and viewings that are on, ridiculous if you ask me. numb3rs is one of the only crime/drama shows that is appropriate and appealing to children in their early teens. there is romance in a way that an adult on the couch watching it does not have to send their 8 year old son/daughter to there rooms. i cant say that for many other TV shows these days and the way that math plays a part in this show is amazing. to think that there are anomalies or algorithms that can solve rapes, murders etc… i didn’t even know those existed until i got hooked on numb3rs. i now understand that math has do to with everything in this world im sure someone could predict how much your losing by canceling this show. that can be a factor in what kids these days want to do with there life’s. these family values and struggles of this show are real life occurrences charlie and don having brother hood struggle, amida and charlies love game, professor flynns own life struggles i mean not to mention don always having trouble finding himself or his problems opening up to people how could anyone not love this show. look cbs if you read these then you will decide to bring the show back because there are other sites and blogs just like this all the fans out there love this show and would love to see the show back on the air!!!

Lori June 27, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I am very sorry to hear that “Numbers” was canceled. there only seems to be an incessant stream of CSI……(Pick a city), shows on. Same stuff, all the same. I like a crime show that has something different. like for instance, Blue Bloods, Hawaii 50 and Psych for a little comic edge. All there seems to be is the true to life graphic sadness that gives americans little hope for our future. At least in these other drama’s there is a good percentage of happy. All the CSI is sad and depressing criminals and the same for the cops.
PLEASE PLEASE RETHINK THE DROPPING OF THIS SHOW.
LORI HARPER

Anna June 26, 2011 at 1:57 am

Please Bring back Numbers!!!! It was my fav show!!! I didn’t watch it on TV as I don’t have Sat so instead I have all the seasons on DVD. I miss the family!!!

Mike Koval June 17, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Another great show down the tubes. Look at all the networks and see the same thing. Gideon goes from Criminal Minds, then they “kill off” a few more characters supposedly to keep costs down, then Human Target gets canned, I am waiting for NCIS, the Mentalist, and Hawaii Five-O to go too. Then we can all watch Great(by whose estimation)Race re-runs or Survivor Siberia. Where do they get their Rating Numb3rs from? Must call Beverly Hills or greater NYC because the average Joe has ever been called.

Janet June 13, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I hae been a Numb3rs fan since the beginning. One thing that really impressed me was the merger with Texas Instruments to work these episodes into the classrooms of the public schools, because I believed this would prove to be an incentive for math students.
It would truly be a good thing to continue the series and the TI Programs, esp. since Math is one of the critical areas of education. This show was good for the family as far as the language goes, but I do not approve of the “bedroom scenes” with unmarried couples. This incourages sexual promiscuity among teens, esp participating students in the TI program. I have had to take several programs off because of this and obscenities in language. My grandchildren love solving the mysteries but then I have to remind them that the “bedroom scenes with unmarried partners” is a definite NO NO. Big Bang Theory is one that has been removed from their viewing because of the “casual accepted sex scenes and language. Please keep the programming clean and entertaining without promoting the sex, but highlighting the educational, entertainment that has led so many shows to run for many years, without the language and scenes. Gunsmoke is a perfect example of a clean, very long running, and entertaining program. The exposure to sex in the soaps lead several teens to pregancy because it was “done all the time on each series”,. Numb3rs is a great show with great actors, but to the networks, PLEASE keep the shows clean for family education & entertainment. There is NEVER a time to use the F… or other 4 letter words in these shows. Please remember there are small ones in the home and the cursing, use of God’s name in vain with constant OMG! Anyone with an IQ of 10 knows what happens when a couple enters a bedroom, we should not have to watch it or have to constantly remind them that certain words are not acceptable.
I hope you will consider ALL of this as a constructive criticism from a mother and Grandmother. Too many shows talk and teach trash by their language and it is neither funny, necessary or needed. Use YOUR head, Christian families want Christian values. Also, My husband & I were both in Law Enforcement. When you are a “cop” you are an officer 24 hrs a day. When officers are portrayed as getting “off work” and go have a few beers, knowing they may get called in at any time, this is puts you going to work under the influence. ( I have seen this happen with officers, & it is disapointing and wrong for public servants of the people to be DUI becaused they were called in due to an escape or just swapping a shift. It hurts me to hear children say they want to be a cop so they can drink at bars after work, hit on women for sexual favors, or” hitting on inmates with a PR14, for the fun of it.Children should look at these as Heroes and Public protectors. WRITERS!!!Please use common sense with values when you write these scripts. Just when you get a good thing going,.. YOU BLOW IT!!! WHY on God’s green Earth would you do this knowing children watch them too. I hope you will take this seriously, for I am certainly NOT the only one Who feels this way. I vote every year, I am disgusted with the language and actions of our government officials. They should be role models, just as a teachers should be role models 24 Hourse a day. If they can’t they cannot be, they should retire.

Rusti & Bill VAn Rooy May 29, 2011 at 9:12 pm

The actors were not the main reason we watched Numbers, although each did a great job, but for 2 other reasons. No.1 was showing mathematics as such a useful tool in so many ways other than dry formulas and hopefully appealing to young people in the throws of deciding their interests.
No. 2 was it depicted a close family as well as their various issues with each other….these values are so important to be highlighted
Also, there was no “raunchyness” but still nice “romance” segments.
We think it is a very bad and sad decision that this show was cancelled. Our hope is that enough people write in that you might change your mind.

Paolo May 17, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I’ll miss this series, one of the best mind boggling police action series I have ever seen, pls put back on air!!!! We will be missing Don Epps and Charlie Epps!!!!

Alistair April 11, 2011 at 4:10 pm

This is awful news this was an amazing series, it was smart and well thought out 10.1 million is bigger than some populations here in the United Kingdom we will miss it loads. A very sad
day, RIP we will miss you loads.

Glenda Downing September 3, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I got up at 3am every morning to watch both show 3 am-4 am. I loved it. Maybe if the show was moved to a better time it would have had a chance. I really like the way the two brothers looked out for each other. I also learned alot about using math to solve a crime. Man what a lost. Please bring the show back.

Love Numb3rs April 4, 2011 at 1:47 am

I have followed this series from day one. I am absolutely the numb3r one fan. the only thing I didn’t see happening was it’s ending. The stories were fantastic and personal, and I really looked forward to Don’s wedding. I have bought all the seasons, and they should soooo sell memorabalia. I can never view cbs the same again. CSI and all those other
crime shows are . You will never come across a more respectful, family oriented show. Miss you,Don, Charlie, Alan, Amita, Larry, Colby, David, and even a lot of the bad guys that made multiple debuts! I especially miss Agent Ian Edgerton.

Alistair April 11, 2011 at 4:14 pm

You are so right, please no more CSI I’m bored bored bored, I also had know idea I kept checking Channel 5 U.K to see when it was returning and then I googled it and saw the awful truth why why why.