Numb3rs: Will the CBS Show Be Cancelled? ABC and FOX Think So!

Numb3rsTonight, Numb3rs finishes off its sixth season with episode 118, “Cause and Effect.” Will the show be back next season? A decision hasn’t been made yet but lots of people are betting that it will be cancelled.

Numb3rs follows FBI Agent Don Eppes (Rob Morrow) and his genius brother, Charlie (David Krumholtz), who helps the authorities solve cases with mathematics. The cast also features Judd Hirsch (as their father), Alimi Ballard, Dylan Bruno, Navi Rawat, Aya Sumika, and Peter MacNicol.

The series debuted in January 2005 and has long been a successful player for CBS on Friday nights. In season one, Numb3rs averaged a 3.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic and about 11.1 million viewers. They went up in season two, with an average of a 3.3 rating and 11.7 million viewers. Viewership has fallen since then however and last season, Numb3rs scored a 2.2 and 10.2 million.

This season, Numb3rs’ ratings have dropped further still — averaging a 1.8 rating and 8.26 million viewers each week. As a result of the decline in ratings, CBS (which is having a very good season) decided to cut back on the number of episodes and reduced their season order from 22 to 16 installments.

Would you watch season seven of Numb3rs?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The official reason for the decrease is that CBS had too much programming and needed space to try out new series. Next week, Numb3rs’ timeslot will be occupied by a new show, Miami Medical.

CBS has maintained that the fate of Numb3rs hasn’t been decided yet but, considering the series’ production costs and ratings, it seems fairly certain that the show is done.

In fact, ABC and FOX are betting on it. The networks have already cast Morrow and Krumholtz in new pilots.

Morrow will star in a dramatic pilot called The Whole Truth for ABC, opposite Joely Richardson. He’ll play a fiercely competitive and successful defense attorney who is close friends with his equally talented courtroom adversary (Richardson). Whole Truth is being produced by Jerry Bruckheimer.

Meanwhile, Krumholtz has been cast in a comedy pilot for FOX called Tax Man. The project’s being produced by Ron Howard and stars Krumholtz as an IRS Agent who’s trying to find nobility in his work. Judy Greer recently joined the cast.

TV show supportIf CBS does decide to bring Numb3rs back for another season, both Morrow and Krumholtz will be obligated to return. However, the other networks wouldn’t cast them in new pilots unless they felt it was a very strong possibility that Numb3rs would indeed be cancelled.

What do you think? Would you like to see Numb3rs return for a seventh season or is it time to say goodbye to the Eppes?

petra February 24, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Thats terrible, it was my favorite show. It made math look cool. In a country where kids have little interest in science, ending this series is a great loss.

Karen February 22, 2011 at 6:23 pm

This is one of the few shows that run today that I enjoy watching. It is a breath of fresh air from all those stupid reality shows and shows like the Bad Girls Club. Give me a break give us Non-Drama tv watchers something good to watch. PUT IT BACK ON!!

Richard February 20, 2011 at 7:12 am

I agree, what a great TV show, I watch reruns at 5AM. I thing many people can not grasp the intelligence of the show.

cld February 19, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Clearly the most intelligent programing on TV. No wonder it is losing viewers in this country.

Officer Moore (0050) February 17, 2011 at 3:24 am

I am and officer that works all around the Us And some times with the FBI
I Love the show and hope it will stay runing my family loves it as well and everey time it is on we are glued to the tv

jim February 16, 2011 at 5:03 am

Numbers should definately come back for another season. This is one of the best all around shows I’ve ever seen on TV. It really does have everything from the excellent writing to a fantastic blend of cast members who you can relate to. It would be ashame to replace Numbers with another crap reality show that so many ignorant people enjoy these days. Please, please keep Numbers on TV…

Susan Tucker February 16, 2011 at 4:46 am

I actually cried. The whole cast made the show shine and you felt like you were in a true family. I very much miss them all. I watch the reruns with joy and sadness. It was like loosing a family group all at once. The writing of the scripts were terrific, the way the group grew and changed matured, lost, gain and stuck together. So sad that all things end. I suppose that is life and we do not always enjoy what it throws at us. Thanks for allowing the people who watch and don’t always agree with the……………”SUITS”………….so to speak.

jack February 15, 2011 at 6:59 pm

great show, bring it back please .

Jane Braunig February 6, 2011 at 9:11 am

Yes you should keep it…It has helpped so much in understand ing things that seem impossible….The kids even like the show cause they have to “think” about what Charlie is saying and how it will work….We love it…Keep it please

Jessie February 4, 2011 at 1:29 am

A rare show that doesn’t assume that the viewers are a bunch of brain dead idiots. Intelligent writing, great stories and great cast. Definitely bring it back.

dex February 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm

This is my favorite show its something different show not like the rest that have same story lines. I would love if they made a 7th season.

ckg January 30, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Yes, give Numbers another season. Great, Great, Great all around hour entertainment.

G S January 26, 2011 at 4:09 am

Great writing. Great cast. Great music.

Anonymous January 21, 2011 at 8:23 pm

the show was great, my math whiz kid and I loved it.

Mr. WTF? January 14, 2011 at 12:43 am

This was one of the few prime time shows for geeks to enjoy. Keep it going, I will watch it!