Numb3rs: CBS Cuts Season Order; Will it be Cancelled?

Numbers to be cancelled?While some shows are getting orders for additional episodes, Numb3rs has just had its number cut by CBS. How does this bode for the drama’s chances for a seventh season?

As Friday night viewers know, Numb3rs revolves around an FBI agent (Rob Morrow) and his genius brother (David Krumholtz) who helps solve cases with mathematics. The cast also features Judd Hirsch (as their father), Alimi Ballard, Dylan Bruno, Navi Rawat, Aya Sumika, and Peter MacNicol.

The series is currently in its sixth season, having debuted in January 2005. For the show’s entire run, it’s been a staple of CBS’ Friday night schedule in the 10pm position.

In its first season, Numb3rs averaged a 3.2 rating in the demo and 11.1 million viewers. In season two, the show’s ratings rose to an average rating of 3.3 and 11.7 million viewers. Overall viewership has dropped since then. Last season was watched by an average of 9.75 million and the demo was 2.2.

Should Numb3rs be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

This season however has been a different story. Numb3rs’ numbers are way down. It’s fallen all the way down to a 1.7 rating in the all-important demo. Overall viewership has also dropped to an average of 7.9 million viewers.

If you look at these figures, it’s not hard to understand why CBS has decided to cut this season’s order from 22 to 16 episodes. In addition, the network already has a couple other dramas that can take its place, including Flashpoint — a show that’s cheaper and already proven to work on Friday nights.

TV show supportWhat does this mean for Numb3rs’ future and its chances for a seventh season? The episode cut doesn’t mean anything in itself but the ratings that caused it certainly do. The show is already in syndication and, now in its sixth year, the show is quite difficult to produce. Unless the ratings return to their previous level, the show will surely be cancelled.

What do you think? Would you be sorry to see the show cancelled or would you like to watch a seventh season?

Anne September 24, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Yes, I love this show….already lost without it. Its Friday and finished watching Medium and then no Numbers….what in the world is happening. Please don’t cancel the show.

Anonymous September 22, 2010 at 9:00 pm

This show allows the average person to understand how math can work in law enforcement and so on by showing examples throughout the episodes. And the relationships in the show are realistic. It is terribly frustrating when one of your favorite shows is cancelled without a series finale, like with “Without a Trace”. If unfortunately it does get cancelled I hope CBS gives the viewers the respect they deserve by wrapping it up appropriately.

Anonymous September 22, 2010 at 7:53 pm

cbs sucks!

Tammy September 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I will be lost on Friday nights without Numbers so CBS best get on the ball and start listening to the fans of the show because I know I am not alone in this one…. at the very least it would be quite helpful if they are cancelling to at-least do a farewell ending of the show as so many are just stopped without notice leaving people hanging for a finish… a good example was “Jericho” … it’s just frustrating when they do that!

Randal Carey September 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm

My wife and I really like the show. We would miss it if it was cancelled.

Tiffany September 14, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I cant believe they cancelled Numbers. I love that show . Im sad to see it go

Leila September 8, 2010 at 6:42 pm

I wait all week for the next episode of Numbers-How can you cancel this intelligent show. There is enough garbage on TV- reality shows are a bad joke-they offer nothing. Shame on you CBS!

Marsha Begeman September 7, 2010 at 8:54 pm

This show has fascinated me with its mathmetics -characters and storylines–I can’t stand Flashpoint and have turned to PBS on Friday nights–BRING BACK NUMBERS–Please?

Cynthia Erickson September 7, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Numb3rs is one of the best shows on TV. I seen every episode. I have watched Flashpoint but it doesn’t even run a close second. CBS would be foolish to cancel a show that appeals to those who can’t stand the thought of another “Survivor” or reality TV show.

ameena September 7, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Numb3rs is intelligent, thought provoking, both character and plot driven, and entertaining programs on television. It doesn’t seem to me that they have run out of stories. What a statement that this show may not survive while so many others do.

Marcia September 7, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Please don’t cancel numbers!

Teacher August 22, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Which does CBS want more:
A) A tv show that shows the youth how math affects the real world
B) A tv show that just makes people laugh and does nothing to educate the youth

Answer: CBS likes stupid people. They choose B.

Debbie August 19, 2010 at 3:25 am

Are you crazy take number off the air it is one of the best show around. Why is it all the good show get taken off the air while stupid show are left come on CBS please do not take Numbers away from us. Looks like if they keep taking all the good show off I will have to go to another network to watch TV now

nicole August 8, 2010 at 10:11 pm

I think the show is cancelled the the actor who plays Don is going to be in a new drama about a court room

Dorien August 8, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I love this show. I watch every one. I am sorry to hear it’s being cancelled. It was different than the run of the mill cop shows. Bring it back, CBS.