October Road: TV Show Costar Says Series Finale Date Set

October RoadAfter an all-too-brief two season run on ABC, the network cancelled October Road. Viewers were left hanging with lots of unanswered questions. Will Hannah end up with “Big Cat” or Nick? Who is young Sam’s father?

October Road follows Nick Garrett (Bryan Greenberg), an acclaimed writer who hits it big after writing a novel about his small town. When he develops writers block, he returns to face the family and friends he’d left behind. The ABC show also stars Laura Prepon, Brad William Henke, Geoff Stults, Tom Berenger, Jay Paulson, Evan Jones, Warren Christie, Slade Pearce, Odette Yustman, Rebecca Field, Jonathan Murphy, Lindy Booth, Elizabeth Bogush, and Penny Johnson.

Immediately after hearing of the show’s cancellation, the show’s creators — Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec and Scott Rosenberg — sat down and wrote a brief ending for Road. Appelbaum said, “It’s sort of like therapy for us, but the most important thing is that it means closure for the fans.” Soonafter, the cast of the show signed on to do the mini-episode that would wrap up the show and answer most of viewers’ long-running questions. Appelbaum continued, “Whether the show went two years or seven years, there’s always been a particular moment and piece of closure that we wanted and we’re going to be able to get to that intended end.”

Who should Hannah end up with?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Though the piece was written, the team of writers had already committed to Life on Mars and many in the cast were booked on other projects. As time went on, though all continued to express a commitment to the project, fans couldn’t help but feel a little uneasy that the finale might not ever be shot.

Well, it seems that “Don’t Look Back: An Epilogue for an Epic Love” is finally being made. According to a post from Murphy (Ronnie Garrett on Road), the tentative plan is to film the finale next weekend, on January 24th in Los Angeles. The actor doesn’t offer any story details but promises that fans’ questions will finally be answered.

Murphy notes that the finale is still planned to be released as part of the Road season two DVD set. There’s no word about when that actually will be made available but it seems almost certain that it will happen eventually.

A division of Disney-ABC released Road’s first season set and it sold well. In August 2008, Lionsgate announced that it had made a deal to release a number of DVD sets of Disney-ABC series. Road was mentioned specifically as being part of that deal. We haven’t seen it yet but Lionsgate has likely been waiting for this finale to be shot so that it could be included.

Hopefully “roadies” won’t have to wait too much longer to see how their favorite story end. Any thoughts on how the tale will end?

Canceled and renewed TV show

80 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. xoxo says

UGH! I love October Road. Why do all the good shows get cancelled. I’m tired of all the same ole same ole rich life shows. PLUS i wanted to see what happen with Eddie. Last i saw he was in hospital.. and was cheated on. Please Please hurry up for us die hard fans of October Road!

p.s. I posted because I’m hoping who over will read and say.. hey.. October Road had a good size fan base!

2. amerie says

ABC is so far behind CBS in tv shows because they always cancel the gret ones and keep the bad ones. October Road, Life on Mars, Traveler and What about Brian are just examples of the poor judgement ABC exec’s have about good tv. I just keep watching good tv on CBS. By ABC. Tired of the crap ABC keeps on tv.

3. Laura says

I feel the same way. It was a Great Show with a Great Cast! Why would they cancel it!! I think they had to be wrong about the ratings, everyone I knew has watched the show and loved it!! I would love for another network to pick it up!!!! We Can at least HOPE:)

4. C R In Wyoming says

I loved this show and it’s cancelled!!! How?? This always happens, a good show comes on and then someone decides to get rid of it. I would love to see it come back on the air!

5. loyal fan says

It’s stupid to cancel new season!!!!! I really like October Road.
    I wish we could get another season some way, not just finale!!!!!!!

6. 23 says

Darn I just got really attached to this show over the past week this really stinks that I just figured out there are no new episodes!!!!That was stupid to cancel this show plus I love Bryan Greenberg, especially when he was in one tree hill, but he was good here too. Hey maybe he’ll come back to one tree hill!!That would be awesome!

7. Tracey says

It was very stupid for cancelling this show. It was one of the best. Gee now we have nothingh to look forward to. These “reality” shows are the ones that need to go, NOT the good shows.
    TNT please pick up the show.

8. monalisa says

This is a enormous shame to network TV. This was a wonderful ensemble of a cast and a well-acted television show. My husband and I very much looked forward to watching this show. You should be enormously embarrassed with this decision and sadly when you look back you’ll realize that this was a poor decision made on the part of your network. You discarded away good programming and for what? I’m not entirely clear what could have possibly been the reasoning behind it. Ratings should not be a major determining factor for this because we all know from past shows that were on the verge of being cancelled that it takes some time for viewers to catch on and honestly popularity of television shows is more about word of mouth. Your network made a big mistake. Hopefully another network that sees the potential of this show will snatch them up.

9. Abby says

This was a great show and I am so upset that it was cancelled. When it comes to ratings, the people that record shows on a DVR are not taken into consideration. I have a busy schedule and I don’t even know the last time I watched live television. Maybe some cable station will come along and pick it up. I mean, they brought back Jericho…..every show has hope

10. rlm says

really want to know….please give us an ending and some closure! great show and now we are stuck with another reality show…thanks ABC!

11. BT says

This is sooo dissapointing that this show was cancelled!! Life on mars does not EVEN compare to OR! That was one of the shows I looked forward to watching every week, this is sooo very stupid of ABC!!