October Road: TV Show Costar Says Series Finale Date Set

October RoadAfter an all-too-brief two season run on ABC, the network cancelled October Road. Viewers were left hanging with lots of unanswered questions. Will Hannah end up with “Big Cat” or Nick? Who is young Sam’s father?

October Road follows Nick Garrett (Bryan Greenberg), an acclaimed writer who hits it big after writing a novel about his small town. When he develops writers block, he returns to face the family and friends he’d left behind. The ABC show also stars Laura Prepon, Brad William Henke, Geoff Stults, Tom Berenger, Jay Paulson, Evan Jones, Warren Christie, Slade Pearce, Odette Yustman, Rebecca Field, Jonathan Murphy, Lindy Booth, Elizabeth Bogush, and Penny Johnson.

Immediately after hearing of the show’s cancellation, the show’s creators — Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec and Scott Rosenberg — sat down and wrote a brief ending for Road. Appelbaum said, “It’s sort of like therapy for us, but the most important thing is that it means closure for the fans.” Soonafter, the cast of the show signed on to do the mini-episode that would wrap up the show and answer most of viewers’ long-running questions. Appelbaum continued, “Whether the show went two years or seven years, there’s always been a particular moment and piece of closure that we wanted and we’re going to be able to get to that intended end.”

Who should Hannah end up with?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Though the piece was written, the team of writers had already committed to Life on Mars and many in the cast were booked on other projects. As time went on, though all continued to express a commitment to the project, fans couldn’t help but feel a little uneasy that the finale might not ever be shot.

Well, it seems that “Don’t Look Back: An Epilogue for an Epic Love” is finally being made. According to a post from Murphy (Ronnie Garrett on Road), the tentative plan is to film the finale next weekend, on January 24th in Los Angeles. The actor doesn’t offer any story details but promises that fans’ questions will finally be answered.

Murphy notes that the finale is still planned to be released as part of the Road season two DVD set. There’s no word about when that actually will be made available but it seems almost certain that it will happen eventually.

A division of Disney-ABC released Road’s first season set and it sold well. In August 2008, Lionsgate announced that it had made a deal to release a number of DVD sets of Disney-ABC series. Road was mentioned specifically as being part of that deal. We haven’t seen it yet but Lionsgate has likely been waiting for this finale to be shot so that it could be included.

Hopefully “roadies” won’t have to wait too much longer to see how their favorite story end. Any thoughts on how the tale will end?

c0po January 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I don’t want to watch the 15min conclusion. I want to watch this series end as it’s supposed to. It’s a shame that todays series either don’t have endings, or in other caseses are draged on for indefenetly just so some punk ass company could earn a 1$ more.

And sorry for my bad english, I’m writting this from sunny Croatia, so english isn’t my native language. Cya all :(

Joelle January 6, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Definitely a great show and i never got to see the ending!!!!

dds October 18, 2010 at 2:14 pm

this was a good show and different from all the others.

Mary-Ann September 11, 2010 at 8:02 am

What a loss!! I loved this show and it’s realistic approach to life.
so hollywood to take it away ,let’s put half naked woman and reality bull on intead!!
Pffff ,what a joke!!
C’mon abc we want our show back!!!

Lisa April 29, 2010 at 9:51 am

Please bring back October Road

dnsk - Hungary January 7, 2010 at 12:59 pm

my favourite series, I look at it once more ;-)

dnsk - Hungary January 7, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I miss you Monk, please, do not stop it!

Donna Riley November 28, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Please don”t take the best show off the air. I WANT MONK!!!!! Thanks for listening. God bless. The Rileys.

Marie November 3, 2009 at 1:31 pm

We are in November 2009 and still I wonder if this show is coming back. Some posters have noted that this show was better than reality tv. Well, guess what it was. The new line ups this year just don’t compare to the great writing and chemistry between characters that October Road had. I will also add that I would like to see this show return. It is sad to see the actors from October Road on other shows that just don’t give them enough air time. So, once again…. please bring this show back. Thanks.

Charlotte September 24, 2009 at 10:55 am

Me and my bestfriend watched the show every week, often together with a good cup of coffee. Please, please bring it back. Take half the reality shows off and put this “feel good” series back on. I miss the day when there was a good series to watch and we didn’t have to watch some sorry reality bull crap. ch

Heidi September 20, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Wow…it’s September 2009, something about the fall gives me the urge to watch October Road…still waiting for a decent finale…not a 10 minute throw down!!

amy schlorff September 14, 2009 at 6:11 pm

please plese bring it back!!

Jessica July 30, 2009 at 8:50 pm

I love this show I came from a small town and see all the people I grew up with … PLEASE PLEASE bring it back…

Stacy June 17, 2009 at 3:46 pm

October Road was one of the most captivating dramas to hit network television in a long overdue time. With the obsession with mindless reality tv, it was a breath of fresh air to someone who had nearly lost hope in network television. The show was truly amazing: everything from storyline, intrigue, to the cast, and deperately needs to be brought back. The network ruined one of the best shows they have displayed in quite a while with their writer’s strike, lack of clear broadcast time and advertisement, etc, and that is a shame. I would be happy to see this show comeback in any capacity-whether it picks up close to where it left off, or if it comes back a few years in advance-much like One Tree Hill. Regardless, ABS owes it to it’s loyal viewers to revive October Road.

Dawn June 14, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Please bring it back! The show was great and I have already bought season 2, but would love to see what happins 7 years from now…bring it back!!!