Off the Map: New ABC Drama; Cancel or Keep It?

Off the MapABC recently unveiled a new medical drama, Off the Map, which was created by Jenna Bans and is co-executive produced by Bans, Betsy Beers, and Shondra Rimes. All three ladies have been closely involved with Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice. Will Off the Map be as successful as these other medical dramas or be cancelled after one season?

Off the Map follows six doctors who move to a tiny town in the South American jungle to help the residents and man an understaffed and under-stocked medical clinic. The cast includes Caroline Dhavernas, Jason George, Jonathan Castellanos, Mamie Gummer, Martin Henderson, Rachelle Lefevre, Valerie Cruz, and Zach Gilford.

This new TV show debuted on January 12th to a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic (the number that really matters) and 7.57 million total viewers. That was the night of the President’s speech in Tucson which caused some disjointed viewing in some areas. ABC decided to rerun the series premiere on the following night to give it more exposure, displacing Private Practice.

What do you think of Off the Map?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Despite that extra coverage, Off the Map dropped by nearly 9% in the key demo in week two. That’s not bad percentage-wise but the debut number was pretty low to begin with. The series attracted a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.79 million viewers. Last night’s episode dropped 14% to a 1.8 rating and 5.06 million viewers.

TV show supportAfter just three weeks, Off the Map is near the bottom of ABC’s demo rankings of scripted series, tying struggling No Ordinary Family. That’s not good at all and since Off the Map’s ratings haven’t stabilized yet, they may keep falling.

In the past, the alphabet network has renewed one or two struggling freshman series for a second season. Unless the ratings start going up, that looks like Off the Map’s only hope for survival. There are 13 episodes in season one and, for now, the finale is scheduled for April 6th. Time will tell if that ends up being the season or series finale.

But, what do you think? Do you like Off the Map? Should it continue or would you just cancel it now?

brenda gross September 16, 2011 at 8:08 pm

please bring off the map back i have been wondering when it was going air only to find it may be cancelled. i love it watch all of it great show.looked forward to it and still am. i watch greys and off the map two i wouldn’t miss

Sabrina Strazzeri September 16, 2011 at 8:24 am

Gray’s is great and now it’s going off the air. Please this is the next best thing , love it as just as much as gray’s anatomy. The writers are great.

Carrie September 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Please please bring it back…. My son amd i LOVE it….. It was original and not overdone!! There are way to many reality shows and not enough good shows that you cant wait to tune into each week…. Give it more time people will catch on and wont want to miss it like we all do!!

Rick September 14, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Bring it back, I watched this show in prison every Wednesday night, it gave me somethign to look foward to in there. When that show was on I forgot where I was for a little while, and I couldnt wait till the next week!!

Josie September 14, 2011 at 7:11 pm

BRING OFF THE MAP BACK!!!!!!!! It was the first show in YEARS that I couldn’t wait to watch!!! When an episode was over, all I could think about was what would happen next! Please please bring it back!!!

LYNNE September 11, 2011 at 8:13 pm

THEY GET A GOOD ORIGINAL SHOW AND THEY CANCELL IT FOR CRAP LIKE
CHARLIES ANGELS. BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
PAN AM WONT LAST………………
BRING OFF THE MAP BACK!!!

Carol September 10, 2011 at 9:34 am

I love the show. It is one of the best on television. I can’t believe it is on the chopping block with all the other terrible shows and reality junk that is taking over. I might have to quit watching tv. Please keep it. My daughter and I love it.

Stephanie September 8, 2011 at 2:57 pm

This is the only show I could not wait to watch every week!!! Please put it back on the air, there is nothing to watch any more.

laura September 6, 2011 at 4:42 am

i like the show !!!!!!!!!

Deborah September 2, 2011 at 7:35 pm

PLEASE KEEP IT. Its an amazing show.I never missed one episode.

Rachelle Santos September 1, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Keep it! Love it and what is going to happen with Lilly and her gorgeous Mateo ??

Deborah September 2, 2011 at 7:37 pm

LOL..I would love to lick Mateo like an ice cream cone. YUMMY!!!..lol

Diny forster September 1, 2011 at 9:29 am

please KEEP IT, love it

Christine Potter August 31, 2011 at 7:17 am

I love this show. The first thing to get my whole family in the same room!!!! Please bring it back . 7 to 38 year olds . You got us all. We all want to know if Clarke survives? What will happen next we are on the edge of our seats. Come on we all need some excitement.

kathy August 30, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I absolutely love this show! Please do not cancel this show. If I know I can’t watch it on wednesday night, I will record it and watch it the next day. Love It!

heather August 28, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I love off the map. My mom and I watched it all the time together! It was a great bonding time. We love the show. One of our favs. KEEP IT!