Off the Map: New ABC Drama; Cancel or Keep It?

Off the MapABC recently unveiled a new medical drama, Off the Map, which was created by Jenna Bans and is co-executive produced by Bans, Betsy Beers, and Shondra Rimes. All three ladies have been closely involved with Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice. Will Off the Map be as successful as these other medical dramas or be cancelled after one season?

Off the Map follows six doctors who move to a tiny town in the South American jungle to help the residents and man an understaffed and under-stocked medical clinic. The cast includes Caroline Dhavernas, Jason George, Jonathan Castellanos, Mamie Gummer, Martin Henderson, Rachelle Lefevre, Valerie Cruz, and Zach Gilford.

This new TV show debuted on January 12th to a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic (the number that really matters) and 7.57 million total viewers. That was the night of the President’s speech in Tucson which caused some disjointed viewing in some areas. ABC decided to rerun the series premiere on the following night to give it more exposure, displacing Private Practice.

What do you think of Off the Map?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Despite that extra coverage, Off the Map dropped by nearly 9% in the key demo in week two. That’s not bad percentage-wise but the debut number was pretty low to begin with. The series attracted a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.79 million viewers. Last night’s episode dropped 14% to a 1.8 rating and 5.06 million viewers.

TV show supportAfter just three weeks, Off the Map is near the bottom of ABC’s demo rankings of scripted series, tying struggling No Ordinary Family. That’s not good at all and since Off the Map’s ratings haven’t stabilized yet, they may keep falling.

In the past, the alphabet network has renewed one or two struggling freshman series for a second season. Unless the ratings start going up, that looks like Off the Map’s only hope for survival. There are 13 episodes in season one and, for now, the finale is scheduled for April 6th. Time will tell if that ends up being the season or series finale.

But, what do you think? Do you like Off the Map? Should it continue or would you just cancel it now?

Joyce Davis December 21, 2011 at 4:36 am

Why in the world would anyone keep this series from running a second season? It is the best TV series I have ever watched. Before Netflix, I did not know it existed and, now, I find I cannot do without it. Characters and situations are awesome. Thanks for a great watching experience.

erdem December 17, 2011 at 3:54 am

Off the map must continue. It is the best medical series on the world. I am waiting pleaste don’t cancel

Deidre December 16, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I love this show!!! I hope they bring it back for a second season- they left way too many loose ends to just end it. I never missed an episode and would love a second season!!

Aehsam December 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Now that Netflix has made Off the Map available to view online, you may want to re-consider filming a second season. I had never heard of this show, but when my husband found it on Netflix we watched all thirteen episodes within just a couple days. I’m sure there are others who have never heard of it either, but who would love the show once viewing it. I’m guessing Netflix has made many others familiar with the show as well! I’m casting my vote for a second season!!!

annlange November 30, 2011 at 3:22 pm

please bring off the map back

Sherri Morden November 25, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I really liked Off The Map, I assumed it would be back this season, when I didn’t see it I decided to try to find it on line, I hope it is not too late to save this show.

Sujata November 19, 2011 at 4:04 am

I just discovered the show Off the Map and watch att 13 episodes n two days, Loved it and am hoping that it will continue

marvin November 16, 2011 at 1:07 am

wishing to have a season 2 great story and characters!

Damian November 12, 2011 at 11:58 pm

I’m waiting for a Off The Map. One of the best serials!

Frida November 9, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I really hope there´s gonna be a new season, this show was so freaking good. I got to sleep later than I should just so I could watch Off the map!!! It´s so good!! :D

Anonymous November 3, 2011 at 10:35 am

Love off the map its one of my favorite shows was really looking forward to a second season

Vester Gross November 2, 2011 at 9:56 am

Pls bring it back.. I love this show…

mara October 23, 2011 at 2:17 am

i’d love to see a season 2 of OFF THE MAP. it has great potential as a t.v. series whatever the ratings say. as i nurse in a third world country, we can really relate to every experience shown on the show every week.

Sabrina October 9, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I am watching it on DVD and i would absolutly love a season 2. It is amazing and the characters and actors are wonderful

Kristina M. Anderson October 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Please bring Off the Map back. I love this show. It is great. Wonderful characters and storyline. I want to see what happens next!