Off the Map: Will the ABC Drama Be Cancelled or Renewed?

Off the MapABC’s mid-season medical drama, Off the Map, recently concluded its first season on the air. The alphabet network’s been looking for a new hit drama and this one was produced by veteran producers of Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice. How does Off the Map stack up? Will it be cancelled or renewed for season two?

Off the Map revolves around six doctors who have “lost their way” and travel to a remote South American jungle to help those in need and to try to rediscover the reasons why they wanted to become physicians. The series features the talents of Caroline Dhavernas, Jason George, Jonathan Castellanos, Mamie Gummer, Martin Henderson, Rachelle Lefevre, Valerie Cruz, and Zach Gilford.

The medical drama premiered with a mediocre 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 7.57 million viewers. The TV series won its timeslot but was disrupted in some parts of the country by coverage of the Tucson Memorial. ABC decided to give Off the Map another chance to attract viewers by rerunning the first episode the following night, in place of a Private Practice rerun, and it retained much of the Grey’s Anatomy lead-in audience.

TV show supportUnfortunately, that’s still not a great start and subsequent episodes of Off the Map essentially drew fewer and fewer viewers each week. The final episode of the season hit a series low and attracted a very poor 1.3 rating in the demo with only 3.80 million viewers.

Off the Map is the second-lowest scripted series on ABC that hasn’t already been officially cancelled, averaging a 1.7 in the demo and 4.96 million viewers. It ranks below doomed No Ordinary Family and just above doomed Detroit 1-8-7. In short, unless ABC really needs to keep Shonda Rhimes happy, there is no reason why the network would bring Off the Map back next year for season two.

What do you think? Do you think there’s any hope for Off the Map? Do you think it will be cancelled or renewed? Are you okay with the way the TV series ended?

summer November 23, 2011 at 10:17 pm

why cancelled??? o’please bring it back!!!

Kim K. November 20, 2011 at 7:41 am

They really should bring this show back to give it another shot. It really needs to run a couple of seasons to know if it will make it or not. So, please bring it back.

Kim K. November 20, 2011 at 7:39 am

I really enjoyed watching Off the Map. Totally different place than any other programs I have watched. I wish they would really reconsider putting it back on the air. I am sure I have missed a couple of episodes. This show actually made you think of what happens in other countries especially in medical fields.

Sherry November 16, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I really wish they would bring off the map back on. I love watching every week, instead of having a good show on, they insist on keeping garbage on the screen. Just need to make us happy and bring it back on.

Kat November 8, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Please bring Off the Map back! It’s very frustrating to start watching a show, get hooked and then it never comes back. This is a great show and one season isn’t enough to see if it will be a hit. Bring it back!

teresa November 8, 2011 at 7:45 pm

i love this show please bring it back i will make sure all my friends and family watch it to keep it on thank you …

Anonymous November 8, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I will be really upset if they don’t bring it back for another season! I really liked this show, looked forward to it every week

Myrtle October 26, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Love this show, that is why I was looking to see when the new season would return. I was shocked when I saw it was going to be cancelled. Please let us see another season to see if the show can get a better rating. I think if it will go over big. It so crazy that all the good shows get taken off and such stupid ones take there place.

Anonymous October 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I WILL BE SO MAD I AM SO SICK TO DEATH OF SHOWS GOING OFF AFTER ONE SEASON, THIS IS A TERRIFIC SHOW WITH EXCELLENT ACTING, AND SHOULD BE GIVEN A CHANCE FOR PEOPLE TO GET TO SEE IT, WHY NOT PUT IT ON WEDNESDAY OR SATURDAY WHEN THERE IS NOTHING ON TO WATCH.

Suzie October 14, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I also loved Off The Map. It had a good story line and I looked forward to seeing itv every week. Hope they bring it back.

heather September 20, 2011 at 1:11 am

I loved this show.I watched every episode.ABC needs 2 bring it back 4 a 2nd season.I loved rachelle lefreve and jothan castellanos.

Rkayic September 12, 2011 at 9:33 pm

how sad they cancel an interesting show with great scenery and leave such crap like desperate housewives, glee and cougar town. What a useless was of space and time. Shows that as usual exploit women, who are stupid enough allow it. GREAT Role model for demoralized society. Reruns are the way to cause their is not true creativity left in TV land or hollywood all the can do revive the old masters and class act work of days gone by.

How profoundly sad!
Ho

Ann September 11, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I love that show. I watch Grey’s anatomy and I love doctor shows. Off the map should be renewed and not cancelled. Abc can’t do that to the viewers . They should have a second season and soon. You can’t leave us with that finale it’s not fair. I hope you take it onto consideration and put it back on the air with new episodes. I think having a show about doctors in the jungle is great and it’s about time someone came up with something
Like that. I’ve been waiting for months to watch off the map. So PLEASE put it back on the air for the fans.

jodi gulling September 19, 2011 at 10:26 pm

off the map gave me something to look forward to not much on tv makes me feel that way anymore please give it a second chance

LINDA D PISTER August 27, 2011 at 11:49 pm

ABC, IS OFF THE MAP GOING TO BE CONTINUED FOR A SECOND SEASON? I DID NOT GET TO SEE THE FINAL BECAUSE OF TORNADO WEATHER IN MS THAT NIGHT.
I STILL MISS OFF THE MAP. WONDERING WHAT THOSE YOUNG DOCTORS ARE UP TO.

admin August 28, 2011 at 4:01 am

LINDA D PISTER » It’s been cancelled but you can watch the last episode on abc.com

renea August 21, 2011 at 1:13 pm

sister got me hooded on this show it became our girls night and I even got my husband started in on or and all wives out there know how hard it is to fond a serious u can both look forward to watching together