Once Upon a Time: On Track for Cancellation or Season Two?

Once Upon a Time cancellation renewalABC has tried numerous times to find a new hit drama to help replace some of their aging ones. Pan Am has been a disappointment and Revenge hasn’t been a big success but Once Upon a Time looked like a winner right out of the gate. But, how do things look now? Is the show on track to land a season two renewal or could it end up cancelled?

On Once Upon a Time, the daughter (Jennifer Morrison) of Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) and Prince Charming (Joshua Dallas) tries to help fairy-tale characters who’ve been cursed by the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla) and ended up living in a small town in Maine. The series also features the talents of Robert Carlyle, Jared Gilmore, Raphael Sbarge, Meghan Ory, Jamie Dornan, Beverley Elliott, Lee Arenberg, David Paul Grove, and Gabe Khouth.

The new drama started off with a bang and a solid 4.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 12.93 million viewers. It was second in it’s timeslot which was impressive considering that Once Upon a Time’s debut had to compete with the World Series and popular shows on cable.

New series often fall 10-20% in their second week on the air but Once Upon a Time bucked the trend and dropped a mere 3% to a 3.9 rating in the all-important demo. In week three, the numbers fell just a bit more — to a 3.8 rating — and the series got a full season pick-up.

Unfortunately, the numbers keep dropping. With the exception of the fourth week (which didn’t drop or gain), Once Upon a Time has dropped in the demo and in total viewership each week. The last episode of 2011 drew a 2.9 rating and 8.92 million viewers, a new series low. That’s a far cry from the debut and the holiday hiatus surely hasn’t helped things.

While Once Upon a Time isn’t in trouble yet, its no longer looking like a big hit and could easily be in trouble. Remember FlashForward?

That ABC series debuted with nearly the exact same ratings two years earlier. It also looked like the big hit of the season but the numbers kept eroding each week. After seven episodes, FlashForward had dropped 35% in the demo. It kept falling until it was cancelled. After seven episodes, Once Upon a Time has fallen 28%. Hopefully, it’ll have a happier ending.

What do you think? Do you think Once Upon a Time will keep falling? Will it survive and see a second season or do you think it’ll end up being cancelled?

Ricki April 22, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I

Suzanne April 21, 2012 at 6:44 am

OMG! There are some good programs on TV – Grimm and Once Upon A Time – they are different and offer the viewer something different other than sex, hospital, cops and horny housewives – TV in general is crap! We have more than enough cop shows, law programs and crap reality shows, that when something fresh comes around, it gets cancelled before giving it a chance. Please Please do not cancel this wonderful series.

Lisa April 17, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Please don’t cancel. I think the story is the best ever. I am unable to watch when it is aired but I watch online. It is so nice to have something other and cop detective law shows to watch. I don’t watch anything on TV except Once Upon a Time and Grimm.

Sam April 19, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I agree! I love this show. It is very clever, and it is also unlike anything on TV right now. So tired of Reality Shows, and there are many cop/crime scene/hospital shows that do not offer what Once Upon a Time offers! I would love to see this show renewed.

sunray April 16, 2012 at 9:15 pm

One reason in the drop could be that they shows aren’t airing consistently. There has been no new episode aired in two weeks. If fans don’t get a regural dose they may go else where

Maxine April 25, 2012 at 11:33 am

I agree sunray.. I keep watching for new episodes or even reruns, but there aren’t any. The new episodes airing are not consistent, if they don’t have a new episode at least play a rerun in it’s place. The shows will never do well if they don’t play them in their timeslots consistently. It’s also irritating to get sucked into a show and then have them cancel it completely. There isn’t any closure, people get tired of investing in shows that don’t stick around. Every week there’s a new American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, Biggest Loser, etc.. they are still on for a reason.

Nikki April 16, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I hope this show isn’t cancelled. If it is I plan to fly all the way over to California and start protesting!!!

August123 April 16, 2012 at 10:42 am

I like the show, but like they say, it will be against Sunday Night football. Sunday is not a go time for any sitecome. We have only one TV set and FootBall is one of the evey few sports my husband like’s. I go to the computer room and play game’s.

brenda shipley April 14, 2012 at 10:48 am

my absolute favorite tv show on right now!!!!!!!!!!i love the characters…lot the style of writing..love everything about it. hope it continues for a long time.

Cassandra April 14, 2012 at 9:39 am

I LOVE this show! The suspense is great, im excited for sundays so i can watch this show!!! but it got canceled???? WTF!! I know a bunch of people who watch it… Ughhhhhh!!!!

Ruby March 21, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I LOVE this show and the characters, costumes, backstories that challenge all of our preconceived ideas about the fairytale characters. I especially enjoy the depth we get to see in those backstories. BUT I can honestly only see this as a one or two season show. As much as I hate to say that, there are only so many stories that can be covered and retold in this manner, without having to dip into very exotic fairytales that many may not recognize. That said, I think the producers and writers have a chance to create something extremely special here. If they know what is coming (renewal or cancellation) they should plan for it and REALLY write up storylines and episodes that are continually powerful, beautifully done and riveting. So far so good! I just hope the show doesn’t disappear into the ether without giving us viewers the chance to see the Evil Queen defeated (since we all know Good always wins over Evil in the end…and true love reigns supreme). I am truly in love with this show!

leah Callahan March 21, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I think it would be a shame if Once Upon A Time got cancelled. I love this show so much!

Kathleen March 17, 2012 at 11:01 am

It is great to have a show the whole family can watch. We loved No Ordinary Family, that was a great family show that ABC just gave up on, it would be a shame if ABC did it again with Once Opon A Time.

Maxine April 25, 2012 at 11:36 am

We loved No Ordinary Family as well.. Agreed.. it would be a shame if ABC did it again.

Anonymous March 13, 2012 at 9:22 pm

BEST SHOW EVER!!!

Richard G. March 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I am totally captivated by Once Upon a Time. I love this show. Lana Parrilla and Robert Carlyle in particular are spectacular. Primetime Emmy winners, those two. I just started watching Stargate Universe because it stars Robert Carlyle. I never done that before – started watching a new series because of one actor.

Sunday night is the only night of the week I look forward to. at 6pm I watch 60 Minutes. 7pm I watch Once Upon a Time. 8pm I switch over to Animation Domination on FOX.

Nancy March 6, 2012 at 8:51 am

I thinl it would be a shame to cancel this series. It is very entertaining and a great show to watch on Sunday nights. I hope ABC does not cancel it. We need more TV series and less reality shows!!!!!

Kate March 4, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Actually Revenge started out as a huge success & was the most watched show at that slot. I do not know though about Once Upon a Time since ratings keep dropping even after Sunday Night Football.

Nicole Reyes April 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I Love Once upon a time….I am sooo tired of the ending show…like the River….please don’t end Once upon a time.

Anonymous May 6, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I caught up with Revenge during Spring Break, and watch it on line. It just comes on too late for me to watch it on a school night. Do they take that into consideration?