One Life to Live: Characters Move to General Hospital — But, For How Long?

One Life to Live characters move to General HospitalThough One Life to Live is poised to sign off tomorrow, four of the characters from the cancelled soap will live on. They’re moving to General Hospital, the network’s sole-surviving soap opera.

Kristen Alderson (Starr), Michael Easton (John), Kassie DePaiva (Blair) and Roger Howarth (Todd) will begin shooting their first General Hospital scenes at the end of this month when production resumes. General Hospital kicks off its 49th season on April 1st. It’s the longest-running network soap still on the air.

Of the news, executive producer Frank Valenti said, “We have a very exciting story planned for the citizens of Port Charles, with Sonny Corinthos at the center of it… Incorporating characters from One Life to Live continues the legacy of the show as we weave them into General Hospital.” Valenti and head writer Ron Carlivati moved to General Hospital last month after One Life to Live wrapped. They replaced Jill Farren Phelps and Garin Wolf.

For the time being, General Hospital will continue on ABC. However, there’s no guarantee of how long it will keep going. General Hospital, like all of the network soaps, aren’t cheap to produce and have seen their viewer numbers dwindle.

This week, ABC Entertainment President Paul Lee noted, “I am a fan of General Hospital, but we have not made a decision on its future and don’t really have a time frame for it either.”

In the fall, Katie Couric starts her own daytime talk show on the network and there has been much speculation that her new series will end up taking General Hospital’s place on the schedule.

What do you think? Do you like that OLTL characters are coming to General Hospital? Do you think General Hospital will be cancelled before the end of the year?

Evelyn May 4, 2012 at 1:35 am

I’m too loyal to soaps. Not interested in the Chew or the Revolution. Whether AbC brings back AMC or OLTL, I just don’t watch TV at all now.

Anonymous April 28, 2012 at 4:22 pm

General Hospital is the best show on tv period. I have been watching GH 35 yrs. Please let us no what we can do to save /:

Kathleen March 19, 2012 at 1:09 am

I know for a fact that if you take GH off the air just when you are bring such awesome actors from oltl you will have many more devoted watchers never watch daytime again. Katie is for a night time show not daytime.

Diane Brown March 16, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I have been watching GH for over 40 yrs, when most of my veiwing habits have changed GH has been a constant. Please don’t remove it, I know many others feel the same, and want to continue to enjoy the talented acting, stories, and that special hour of the day.
I will not watch a replacement, in this day of overweight americans, and over chatty gossip, there is no need of another cooking show, or chit-chat celebrity show. I’ll hang up my TV and save it only for the news and weather. Save General Hospital !!

deann March 13, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I have watched all my children, one life to live, and general hospital since I was a teen with my aunt and grandma, I’m almost 50 now, I’m sad that the shows are going off the air one by one, don’t they have a cooking station for the shows that are taking over, I’m glad you are at least combining two of my programs together, I understand money is hard, but watching them makes my downs be put aside e end for just a he or so, please don’t take away one thing that gives me joy in watching,

DIANA EDSALL February 26, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I HAVE WATCH OLTL AND GH FOR SO MANY YEARS ,AND I AM HEART BROKEN TO HAVE OLTL OFF. I SURE HOPE GH WILL STAY ON AND ADD MORE OF OLTL CAST TO IT. IT WILL BE FUN TO SEE WHAT JOHN AND SONNY GET INTO PLUS WITH JASON. AND IT WOULD BE A GOOD SHOW IF THEY GET BLAIR AND CARLEE TOGETHER. LOOK OUT.

therailer February 25, 2012 at 2:07 am

For the record, I’ve turned off my television service, until the broadcasters return good television back to us. I watch movies now and find television shows on CD that were good shows. I miss the old formats…the Seinfeld…..Friends….X-Files…..those sorts of shows….and all the soaps, because they are our surrogate family.

Thanks for listening to your viewers!
Santa Barbara viewer

therailer February 25, 2012 at 2:03 am

I think it’s fantastic that they are coming. I just told my room mate, “Vicki is coming, Mona, she’s coming to our neighborhood to be with us!” Well, I see that indeed the Mistress of Land Faire is NOT coming, but has sent her representatives and that is just fine with me! I’d be happy if most of them did come over-not take over, but come over to ABC.
It should be nice to have a bit larger cast again, like the old days. We could use Dorian and David, for sure! We need the antics. Wish I could help write for you. After working in a public school for over 20 years, I know what high school kids are into. And since I’m old, I know what the old watchers want to see, too. Good luck with everything!

Diane Duda February 23, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I just now found this place to coment. I watched both soaps that are no more since they
first came on TV. When I wasn’t at home I taped them on a VCR then recorded them on teh TV. Please bring back daytime shows. The two replacement shows are not worth the
time to watch. They are both awful. I’ve been trying to catch the people from OLTL on
Genl. Hosp. but haven’t seen them yet.

Heather February 22, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Dear ABC,
I have watched AMC and OLTL regularly for 20 years. I WILL NEVER watch the showes you replaced them with! So happy to see some of my fav characters on GH, which I have never watched. So I will tune in to see my OLTL characters. Please bring on some more!

Sharon Hayworth February 20, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Please don’t cancel the soaps, there is a large audience that looks forward to watching them everyday. We have ENOUGH reality shows and talk shows, please NO MORE…..leave the soaps on. Wish you could bring back One Life to Live!

Terru February 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm

The Chew and The Revolution are awful. I never watche All My Children but I started watching OLTL a year ago and I am amazed at the stupidity of network execs. Ok, crap like the Chew and the Revolution is cheap to make but they garner NO loyalty. I have been watching Days of Our Lives since I was 10 when it went on the air! even when the plot get’s rediculous or just plain bad, I still tune in. Maybe not every day but enough. I was watching OLTL on the internet every night. You will never get that with the reality crap. You will not get people turning friends and their kids on to a show. Soaps allow you to be part of an ongoing story. No one is going to care about what fashion advice Tim Gunn may give next week.

So I am sitting here, working, with the sound off, waiting for GH to come on because there is nothing else worth changing the channel for. All the stations have followed like lemings this cheap craze, spend less money on the bodies (you can’t call them talent) make extra money from Macy’s and anyone else who will pay to promote their stuff and write off daytime.

A comment was made that cancelling the Revolution won’t bring OLTL back…why not! Among other things, they would get a TON of free publicity and with the story lines that were running at the end of the show, ratings would sky rocket.

wilma February 17, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I am so sick of these reality shows. Why must General Hospital,
Be on the probable chopping block. We want to keep GH.
And im sure i wont watch a talk show with Katie couric.
Please start listening to your viewers. A lot of people
Will stop watching or even taping daytime. Again,enough
With the reality shows & we sure dont want katie couric.

trissia price February 10, 2012 at 9:11 pm

i thank yall need to bring the soaps back i take all the tv out of the house because that all me and my grandmother watch please bring the soaps back she looks forware to watch her soaps please

Becky February 10, 2012 at 8:13 pm

ABC I am so sad that you made this decision to take off AMC and OLTL. I am so tired of all these reality eat dress get in shape shows. Enough !!!! Listen to your viewers