Orange Is the New Black: Season Two for Netflix TV Series

orange is the new black season twoNetflix has a lot of faith in Orange Is the New Black, their newest original TV series. They’ve renewed the show for a second season, weeks before they’ve unveiled the first.

Season one of Orange Is the New Black will be released on Thursday, July 11th and all 13 episodes will be available at once. Season two will be released next year.

NETFLIX RENEWS ORIGINAL SERIES “ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK” FOR SECOND SEASON

Comedic Drama from Jenji Kohan to Return with All New Episodes in 2014

Season 1 Premieres Thursday, July 11th on Netflix

(Beverly Hills, CA – June 27, 2013) – The Netflix Original Series, “Orange is the New Black,” the comedic drama set in a women’s prison from creator and executive producer Jenji Kohan (“Weeds”) will return with a second season on Netflix in 2014.

Produced by Lionsgate Television, the hour-long series starring Taylor Schilling, and based on the popular memoir of the same name by Piper Kerman, is set to debut its first 13-episode season on Thursday, July 11 at 12:01 AM PDT in all territories where Netflix is available – U.S., Canada, the U.K., Ireland, Latin America, Brazil and the Nordics.

“Jenji and her team have produced a phenomenal series and we’re eager to get a second season to our viewers,” said Cindy Holland, Vice President of Original Content at Netflix.”

“I am thrilled that Netflix has extended my sentence,” said series creator and executive producer Jenji Kohan.

“We’re enormously proud of the brilliant work of Jenji, the cast and the entire production team,” said Kevin Beggs, president, Lionsgate Television Group, “and we’re delighted about this early second season renewal. Netflix has been a great partner on this series and we look forward to our continuing collaboration.”

“Orange is the New Black” follows engaged Brooklynite Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling), whose decade-old relationship with drug-runner Alex (Laura Prepon) results in her arrest and 15-month long detention in a federal penitentiary. To pay her debt to society, Piper must trade her comfortable New York life with fiancĂ© Larry (Jason Biggs) for an orange prison jumpsuit and a baffling prison culture where she is forced to question everything she believes and form unexpected new alliances with a group of eccentric and outspoken inmates. The series’ diverse ensemble also includes Kate Mulgrew, Natasha Lyonne, Pablo Schreiber, Danielle Brooks, Laverne Cox and Taryn Manning.

The second season of “Orange is the New Black” is set to begin production later this summer.

“Orange is the New Black” is executive produced by Kohan. The series is produced by Lionsgate Television for Netflix.

About Netflix, Inc.

Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with more than 36 million members in 40 countries enjoying more than one billion hours of TV shows and movies per month, including original series. For one low monthly price, Netflix members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments. Learn more about how Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) is pioneering Internet television at www.netflix.com or follow Netflix on Facebook and Twitter. Netflix’s original series include the political drama “House of Cards,” which stars Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright; “Hemlock Grove,” Eli Roth’s murder mystery series based on Brian McGreevy’s gripping novel of the same name; the fourth season of the critically-acclaimed comedy “Arrested Development;” Ricky Gervais’s bittersweet 30-minute comedy drama, “Derek,” about a group of outsiders living on society’s margins; the second season of “Lilyhammer,” which stars Steven Van Zandt; and “Sense8″ the upcoming global tale of minds linked and souls hunted from the Wachowskis and J. Michael Straczynski.

What do you think? Does this show sound interesting? Do you plan on watching?

B Miklos July 20, 2013 at 2:10 pm

You’re telling me that I have to wait until next year to see the next season? I can’t wait. I watched all 13 episodes in one night. So what if I had to go to work the next day. The writing for this show is superb. These characters are not the trite two-dimensional characters of other shows. They are very real. I love the flashbacks of characters showing each one’s history and reason they are in prison. I also love how the characters grow and change with time in prison. My hats off to the writers, director, and producer. You’ve created a winner. I hope Netflix creates more series of this quality. This is a great way to expand business.

amber c August 31, 2013 at 3:46 am

omg i loooovvveeeddd this series i watched it all in one day. much better than almost all other hit shows on t.v and is my num one favfavorite so real and the directors did an amazing job with lettimg us get into the characters heads and lives can not wai

R.Thompson July 19, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I am hooked have a all night hangover from watching non stop all 13 episodes within 2 days……can not believe they haven’t already written season 2. Absolutely the best show I have watched in over a decade. Congrats!

Lori July 19, 2013 at 11:40 am

I watched all 13 episodes and loved every one! I am now going through Orange is the new black withdrawl! I don’t know if I will be able to wait until next year for season 2. Keep up the good work ! Jenji Kohan is extremely talented !!

valare July 19, 2013 at 11:00 pm

me too! it needs to hurry back lol

Mark July 19, 2013 at 5:20 am

Wow… 13 great shows! Watched them all within a week. Pretty gritty and real. I felt for nearly all the characters and the acting… FIRST RATE! She’s really gets to her wits end and the ending of the last episode is, well, somewhat expected but still great. I look forward to next season. On my radar for sure.

CVicente July 19, 2013 at 2:19 am

Me and my husband watch this show and we can’t wait for the next season. This is tge only show we actually sit and watch together. We love the show!

Billy July 18, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I watched the entire season in one day. That is saying a lot because I am one that is easily bored. Can’t wait for season 2. Lets get it done!!

Kate Fredericks July 18, 2013 at 6:00 pm

OITNB is one of the most intelligent shows I have seen. It is honest, gritty, funny, sad, loving, hateful, pretty much the best presentation of the human race in any media. If you watch first four or so episodes, you should not make any judgments. Watch all 13 episodes before you say or think about this show. I went through so many emotions watching the brilliance of character development unfold, it became almost real to me. Best show on any media today. I can see why Netflix gave it a second year before airing the first. And……what an ending! I cannot wait to see what happens next!

Amanda July 18, 2013 at 3:58 am

I loved this show. I finished it quickly. I’m sure ill watch it again. So glad it renewed for another year! It’s my favorite show right now. It’s gonna be had to wait a year. The characters are great! They are tackling some good issues. Prison reflects the general population. This does too , and should continue. Thanks creators. I laugh , I cry, I judge, amazing show.

Anonymous July 18, 2013 at 3:15 am

Yes I loved loved loved …..can’t wait to see what happens next

Anonymous July 18, 2013 at 2:07 am

Amazing show absolutely love it!! Season two needs to be out like now!! The ending of episode 13 was just do twisting and real!

taylor July 17, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Amazing series!!! I don’t think I can wait a whole year for the next season.

Yvette July 17, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I love it, it’s very real and I didn’t realize there was only one season and watched it in one day. Now I have to wait…I have never heard of it. The best entertainment I’ve seen in a while, I laughed, cried, wanted to slap people, go o d job….

Erin July 17, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I love this show! Watched all the episodes on one day off… intriging! Cannot wait for the new season.

breanne July 16, 2013 at 11:52 pm

LOVE THIS SHOW. Cant wait for it to continue. I’m hooked!

M. Culver July 16, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Watched all 13 episodes in 3 days. I cannot wait for Season 2!

Anonymous August 12, 2013 at 9:26 pm

This great can’t wait to next season