Outlaw: New Jimmy Smits TV Show; Cancel or Keep It?

OutlawMany people first became aware of actor Jimmy Smits when he co-starred back on NBC’s LA Law in the 1990s. He’s worked on many TV shows since then — The West Wing, Cane, NYPD Blue — with varying levels of success. Now, he’s back in the courtroom again, playing a lawyer on NBC’s Outlaw. How will this new series work out for him? A big success or a quick cancellation?

Outlaw follows a Supreme Court Justice (Smits) who decides to step down and go back to being a lawyer to fight injustices. The NBC series also stars Carly Pope, David Ramsey, Jesse Bradford, and Ellen Woglom.

NBC gave Outlaw a special preview on Wednesday September 15th, in the plum spot of following the season finale of America’s Got Talent. The series premiere was reasonably sampled with a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 10.68 million viewers. Those are okay numbers on their own but it’s not a good sign that Outlaw lost a significant amount of America’s Got Talent’s lead-in audience — 42% in the demo and 35% of total viewers.

What do you think of Outlaw?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

A couple days later, in its regular Friday night timeslot on the 17th, NBC reran the pilot episode. Outlaw performed terribly but, after all, it was a repeat. The rerun attracted just a 0.9 in the demo and 3.93 million viewers. The NBC execs were surely hoping originals would perform better.

Not so much. This past Friday, episode two of Outlaw only mustered a 1.1 rating in the all-important demo ratings and 4.99 million viewers (per the overnights). It was in last place in both categories and lost a large percentage of its lead-in audience from Dateline. Last year, an episode of The Jay Leno Show even did better with a 1.6 and 5.79 million.

TV show supportWith ratings like these, it’s hard to imagine that NBC would bother ordering more episodes beyond the initial 13 installments. They may in fact decide to pull the show altogether and plug in repeats of another series. It looks like it’ll soon be back to the drawing board for Mr. Smits.

What do you think? Did you watch Outlaw? Do you like it? Is it worth saving or should it just be cancelled?

Patti November 5, 2010 at 11:15 am

I love the show, as does everyone I know. Please do not cancel it. Change the nights that it is aired. Some of these shows are never given a chance—-pulled after only a few weeks. Take a look at some of the shows you are currently airing that STINK—–pull those. Jimmy Smits is a compelling and exciting actor and deserves to be given a significant chance. Don’t do what was done to “Cane”. Another great show that was never given due time.

jennifer November 3, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I love this show.. Do not cancel it. Keep it on Friday nights and give it a chance

Darryl November 3, 2010 at 7:22 am

Show was excellent. They never give a good show a long enough time to attract an audience.
Put it in a different time slot , or even the same one, and GIVE IT A CHANCE. Advertise it so people know about it

Christy October 31, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I seen thousand ads for when Nikita was going to be on, I seen 3 four Outlaws premier and none for the reg. scheuled night. Keep Friday and let word of mouth get out.

Julia October 31, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I really liked the show, but maybe a different time slot? I love Jimmy Smits. Bring it Back.

Joanne October 30, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I love this show too, it had real content and style. Love Jimmy Smits and the cast. Hope NBC does get sued over cancelling this new show. BRING IT BACK…

Vanessa October 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm

KEEP THIS SHOW! I looked forward every Friday night to seeing this series. I can’t believe you cancelled this series. It is one of the best series on TV. I don’t understand how you can cancel this show and keep the series, “The Event.” That’s the series that should be cancelled.

Please bring this show back – love the story lines as they are real; love the characters; and the acting is superb! BRING IT BACK!

Chris October 30, 2010 at 10:23 am

I really liked the show. Please do not cancel it. I am a big fan of Jimmy Smits. I think the story lines were good, in the sense that someone was trying to help the underdog.

brandon October 29, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I like Smits, but the show was so politically slanted that it was bound to put people off. We decided we were done with it after the second episode. Trashy (the aide?), condescending, and poor script to boot. Still like Smits, though.

Bob Allen October 29, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I think this is a great show, it has a good cast. Change the time slot.

Elaine Gillingham October 29, 2010 at 11:43 am

I liked the show – why do good shows have low ratings when there is so much junk on tv that we have to watch reruns of NCIS, rent movies or stick to watching sport teams we’re not really following?

B.T. October 29, 2010 at 8:55 am

Please keep this show on. It is a great show and one of my favorites and I love Jimmy Smits. I also like the Saturday night slot. Thanks.

arline October 29, 2010 at 7:02 am

yes I liked it but it is opposite the new show with Tom Selleck which is also excellent..
I hope you not pull it..Perhaps Outlaws would do well on Monday night when there is nothing to watch…and i mean nothing unless your watching Monday night football…

Amber October 28, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I LOVE this show! Please bring it back!

joan davis October 28, 2010 at 7:56 pm

keep the show it’s great maybe a diffent time slot.