Outlaw: NBC TV Show Cancelled After Four Episodes

OutlawFirst, FOX cancelled Lone Star and then, ABC cancelled My Generation. Not wanting to be left out, NBC has now cancelled Outlaw. The Jimmy Smits series has ceased production but viewers will still be able to see the remaining episodes.

Outlaw follows a Supreme Court Justice (Smits) who decides to step down and go back to being a lawyer in order to fight injustices. The NBC series also stars Carly Pope, David Ramsey, Jesse Bradford, and Ellen Woglom.

The series debuted following the season finale of one of NBC’s biggest shows, America’s Got Talent, and could only attract moderate ratings. In its regular Friday night timeslot, Outlaw’s ratings have gone from bad to worse. This past Friday, the show hit a new low in the 18-49 demographic with a 0.9 rating and fell to just 4.10 million viewers. It was in last place in both categories.

Should Outlaw have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

As we previously reported, NBC shut down production last week, supposedly wanting to wait to see if viewership got better in later weeks. If that was actually the case, they didn’t wait very long. Outlaw has been cancelled and the cast and crew won’t be returning to production.

TV show supportFor the time being, NBC will fill the 10pm timeslot with an expanded edition of Dateline. The four remaining episodes of Outlaw will be seen on Saturday nights starting on October 16th. An episode won’t be seen on October 30th because of a previously schedule Shrek special. The last episode of Outlaw will air on November 13th.

What do you think? Are you sorry to see it go? Why do you think it didn’t attract a bigger audience?

art January 29, 2011 at 10:41 am

It was a really good show good story line

Beckey January 28, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I cannot believe they cancelled Outlaw… I loved this show, There is so much other crap on TV that is no good. Outlaw deserves another chance. Bad move NBC

Anonymous January 28, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I loved Outlaw. My mom and I were looking forward to the new season and were disappointed when we saw this.

Rachel January 27, 2011 at 7:57 pm

My husband and I loved this show! Bring it back NBC!!!

Lisa January 25, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Jimmy Smits is terrific and well worth watching.

Mario January 25, 2011 at 9:24 pm

It’s sad when there is so much garbage TV shows out there that are prevailing and good intelligent shows get cancelled. It just goes to show you how stupid the new generation has become. They prefer mindless shows vs. Intelligent, thought provoking shows, thus the ratings reflect that harsh reality.

Cathy January 25, 2011 at 10:15 am

I am very disappointed this show was cancelled. You did not even give it a chance. If it was during the week in primetime the ratings would have been better. Jimmy Smits is one of my favorite actors!!!

Lora January 24, 2011 at 11:46 am

So disappointed. There are not too many great, thought provoking, moving television shows. Outlaw has all of these characteristics. Great casting – I love this role for Jimmy Smits – he brings this character to life. Bring back some hope to excellent quality television – bring back this show – give it a second chance, I am sure that once people knew about the show and experienced the places the show takes you within your self, the ratings would tell the tale. One more try?

Teri January 23, 2011 at 10:51 am

Outlaw was not really given a chance. I am not even a big Jimmy Smits fan, but I loved this show and him in it! The show made you pay attention – it wasn’t one of those mindless shows. I am very unpleasantly surprised that it was cancelled and I hope they bring it back! I don’t like too many shows and this one was different!

Beverly January 22, 2011 at 6:34 pm

You didn’t give this show a chance, it was awesome. If you would change it to prime time on a weeknight it would be one of the number one shows. It is so had to find a good show on tv all is on is reality shows and I am sick of them.
BRING BACK OUTLAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

grc January 21, 2011 at 5:57 pm

To cancel Outlaw is a decision that absolutely flabergasts me. I have been watching this fine actor since Hill Street Blues, I go where he goes. Outlaw is outstanding. Please bring it back, at a time when we intellectuals can watch it. How ffabout Friday night ? I watched all the blues on Thursday nights, simply told my staff, had a go home had a date with a great t v show. Will miss Jimmy and his believable young attorneys. You are really not in tuned with the thinking public.
nis,

nightt

nlc January 19, 2011 at 11:18 am

I totally agree, Outlaw was a great show … intelligent, thought provoking, timely, funny, interesting, well acted. Oh … that’s why NBC cancelled it!!!!!! Gotta go see what’s on CBS.

pd January 19, 2011 at 12:07 am

NBC Sucks
Outlaw was a GREAT SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ashley wallace January 21, 2011 at 10:55 pm

i hate you all cancelled outlaw…it was a great show and im disliking your station more and more. i think i just might stop watching you all together,and tell my friends to do the same

Robin January 18, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I agree with Jeanne, Outlaw was a good drama, there is such crap on tv and they cancel a good drama, good going NBC

carole kissel January 27, 2011 at 6:21 pm

we loved the series
didn’t give it a chance
bad time slot
great show
big mistake

Jeanne January 18, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I agree, NBC is cutting their own throats by cancelling all good shows they dont give a chance. Why put such a high prifile show on a Friday night!!!! The producers should have contested this air night in the first place. Too much blame to go around and seems like no solutions were ever entertained.