Outsourced: NBC’s New Sitcom Angers; Cancel or Keep It?

OutsourcedIt’s not often that a new show gets some people so angry before it even airs but NBC’s new TV show, Outsourced, certainly rubs some people the wrong way. Did that hurt the ratings? Will it be quickly cancelled or become a long-term staple of NBC’s Thursday night line-up?

Outsourced follows a US sales manager, Todd Dempsey (Ben Rappaport), who’s assigned to supervise his company’s call center in India. The new sitcom also stars Anisha Nagarajan, Diedrich Bader, Parvesh Cheena, Pippa Black, Rebecca Hazelwood, Rizwan Manji, and Sacha Dhawan.

Some people have expressed resentment over the show’s theme, especially considering this country’s struggling economy and unemployment problem. Others maintain that the show’s intent is to show how offices are the same, regardless of where they’re located.

What do you think of Outsourced?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In its first week on the air, Outsourced attracted a 3.6 in the 18-49 demographic and 7.49 million total viewers. For the timeslot, it ranked in third place in total viewers but was second in the demo, where the numbers really count.

On the downside, Outsourced lost about 20% of its Office lead-in audience in the demo and 12% in total viewers. Also, about 15% of its audience tuned out midway through the episode. Those people gave it a try and probably won’t be back next week.

New shows typically lose about 15% in week two so we’ll have to wait and see how this one’s ratings hold up. For now, things look good for Outsourced.

What do you think? Did you give it a try? Were you offended by Outsourced? Was it different than you expected? Cancel or keep it?

David April 28, 2013 at 11:54 am

I love this. Please keep it!

bill October 23, 2012 at 9:13 am

bring it back please me n my wife loved it

Ada March 4, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I love this show and miss it very much. It was a well written show and it was a series that my whole family could watch together. What kill the show was the time slot. Please bring it back. We all miss Gupta, Todd, Asha, Manmeet, Rajiv,and the rest of the cast.

RLWard December 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I am “Googling” Outsourced to find it… It was my favorite show… where is it? When will it return?

admin December 18, 2011 at 5:02 pm

RLWard » It won’t. It’s been cancelled.

Meme December 1, 2011 at 8:51 pm

This was one of the best sitcoms I ever seen. Irish they would bring. It back. Each character can be related to as well as relating with the American in regards to be so naive to the beliefs of the Indians. I love those parts the best! pLEASe bRINg it back!

LLdixie October 13, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Seriously, this show pissed people off? Did they get beyond the first couple of episodes? The main character EVOLVES, people! Something that doesn’t happen in the rest of the crappy sitcoms out there. It was frickin’ hilarious, and I loved it! Is there ANY talk of it being picked up somewhere else?? Seriously, how can it get a People’s Choice Award nomination, have 5.2 million viewers and get dropped? BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!

Jack C October 12, 2011 at 7:19 pm

We really loved this show in China, and it’s the first time I got to know India. I don’t think it’s offensive. Why don’t just put aside all the racial stuff? If you always think about it, you always see it. Why don’t we take it easy?

adam October 3, 2011 at 6:14 am

I would rather have outsourced on the air over some other shows (any reality TV). But, I know I am in the minority on that. Oh well, goodbye outsourced — goodbye perfect couples–goodbye better off Ted, my wife and I will look for you in re-runs!!

Josie T September 28, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I loved the show outsourced. I am very sad that it’s no longer on.

Melody Chellino September 17, 2011 at 9:32 pm

This is one of the funniest shows I’ve seen in a while. Please bring it back!

Juliette Gardner September 5, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I can’t stand this. It was a GREAT SHOW! BRING IT BACK!!!! IT WAS HILARIUOS!!!!!

Paul Anderson October 13, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Agreed. It was a wonderful show. Do not see how it could offend anyone.