Outsourced

OutsourcedNetwork: NBC
Episodes: 22 (half-hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: September 23, 2010 – May 12, 2011
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Ben Rappaport, Anisha Nagarajan, Diedrich Bader, Parvesh Cheena, Pippa Black, Rebecca Hazelwood, Rizwan Manji, and Sacha Dhawan.

outsourced past TV show

TV show description:
This workplace sitcom revolves around a catalog-based company that sells American novelty goods (including whoopee cushions, foam fingers, and wallets made of bacon) and whose call center has suddenly been outsourced to India.

After completing Mid America Novelties’ manager training program, top salesman Todd Dempsy (Ben Rappaport) is reassigned to India to act as the manager of the company’s call center. Having never ventured out of the country, Todd is unprepared for the culture shock. Overwhelmed, he discovers that his new staff needs a crash course in how to think, speak, and breathe American. He wants them to fully understand the unique product line so they can ramp up sales from halfway around the world.

Todd inherits a sales team that includes socially-awkward Gupta (Parvesh Cheena); Manmeet (Sacha Dhawan), a young romantic who is enamored with America; Asha (Rebecca Hazlewood), a smart and striking woman who’s intrigued by Todd; Madhuri (Anisha Nagarajan), who’s extremely shy but finds her voice through her work; and Rajiv Gidwani (Rizwan Manji), the assistant manager who wants Todd’s job.

Todd also discovers that there are other transplants who work in his office building. Charlie Davies (Diedrich Bader) runs the All-American Hunter call center and has no interest in assimilating. He even has junk food shipped from home. Tonya (Pippa Black) is a beautiful Australian who runs the call center for Koala Air and catches Todd’s eye.
space

Series Finale

Episode 22 — Rajiv Ties the Baraat, Part 2
Rajiv’s bachelor party is starting to get interesting: a transvestite stripper is dancing, Charlie’s serving breast-shaped Jell-O shots, Rajiv is tied to his chair and Pinky has just arrived with a blow-up doll wearing pasties. But suddenly Vimi and her father burst in, appalled by what they see. Rajiv tries to explain that it’s just a silly American custom, but they storm off. Rajiv is a wreck, but his pals refuse to slow down. Manmeet shows up and announces he’s had a wild night of sex and is now in love with Ashlynn.

Madhuri and Ajeet walk on the beach at night. Madhuri tells Ajeet that she read his note and reveals she has feelings for him too. Ajeet wants to pursue her, but Madhuri must discuss the matter with her family.

The next morning, the wedding preparations are in full swing. A smitten Manmeet brings Ashlynn to one of the wedding tents where the ladies are being pampered in preparation for the festivities ahead. After he leaves, Ashlynn shares some girl talk with Asha and Madhuri. Ashlynn explains that she’s been having fun with Manmeet, but now she’s ready to see the countryside – without Manmeet. Apparently, he was only part of her itinerary.

The father of the bride argues with the proprietor of the wedding facility. Given Rajiv’s reckless pre-wedding behavior, Vimi’s father wants to call the wedding off; he insists that the meal and everything else be cancelled. Todd intervenes. He explains to Vimi’s father that the bachelor party was his idea and that the wedding should continue.

A very hungover Gupta stumbles down the beach with Charlie. They encounter a brilliant white horse; it’s the steed that Rajiv is to make his wedding entrance upon. They serenade the horse – which promptly bolts off down the beach.

Rajiv finds a contemplative Vimi on the beach. He apologizes profusely and implores her to continue with their wedding plans. She forgives him, explaining that they’ve both done things they’re not proud of. Rajiv’s mind begins to race: is his Vimi not quite as pure as he thought? She skirts the question. Distraught, Rajiv seeks out Todd. Should he go through with the ceremony? Todd counsels him that he should.

Manmeet excitedly shows Asha and Madhuri a family heirloom necklace he intends to give to Ashlynn. The girls look at each other with concern. Asha disappears, leaving it to Madhuri to break the news to their coworker that Ashlynn may not be quite as in love with him as Manmeet is with her.

A perturbed Asha complains to Todd about her betrothed: he’s not going to show up to the wedding. She wonders if she’s being taken for granted even before she’s married. Todd explains that any man who would take her for granted is a fool. She smiles.

Gupta and Charlie can’t find the bridal horse that they spooked. They pursue the next best option: coaxing an elephant into the job.

Rajiv still has doubts. Todd tries to console him and points out that even though she may not be a virgin, Vimi has many fine qualities. Rajiv comes around. The wedding is on!

Astride the elephant, Rajiv rides down the beach, followed by a dancing procession of friends and family. He and his beloved Vimi complete the various ceremonies; the wedding is traditional, joyous and beautiful. A raucous reception follows. A dejected Manmeet realizes that Ashlynn is not the one, and there’s a hint that perhaps Asha may be feeling the same way about her betrothed — much to Todd’s delight.

First aired: May 12, 2011.

space

Ryan April 9, 2011 at 12:25 am

Just last fall, I had to go to India on business for a few weeks. I love this show. Before the show aired, I watched the movie it was based on. That movie was surprisingly well done and I suggest you guys watch it. I think it gives a more accurate picture of India than this show, but this show is still good. The best episode was the one about the headbob. Like Ian above, I’m a shade darker than pure white. While I was there, I felt very welcome and would very much enjoy going back.

Speakmymind March 30, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Outsourced needs to be cancelled ASAP! This show is insulting and bothers the crap out of me.

U.S. corporate scumbags don’t want to pay American workers a wage. Fine. But, how is this good customer service when I cannot understand a f*cking word these people are saying? How about I don’t use your products or services anymore? Maybe that’s the only way the morons who are running these companies will learn.

Ian March 24, 2011 at 9:25 pm

People, if you like the show then look about what this site says which is that it’s NOT been cancelled and even though I can’t find evidence that it’s been picked up for a second season at least it’s still going for now. Me and my wife LOVE this show especially since some of the other “comedies” on this channel seem to have substituted awkward moments for actual humor and most other shows on this and other channels are a variety of reality shows.
I actually work in a call center in Texas and kinda wish that they had a little more around that too, but I really love the whole cultural fish out of water kind of theme.

I’m a conservative guy who’s about a shade away from albino so trust me when I say that my love of this show has nothing to do with nationality or feelings about actual outsourcing (my thoughts may surprise you).
So far I love this sitcom but I do hope that they have more character development as it goes on since I think characters like Rajiv, Manmeet, and Madhuri could be SO much better than how they’re written now, even though they are pretty great so far.

I really hope they keep show going because right now, to me and my wife at least, this is one of the best sitcoms on network TV right now and still has the potential to get even better.

Nielsen such a BS March 23, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Another show I liked, cancel.I will miss outsource! But I see a pattern Networks don’t seem to want these series type of show anymore.The Networks draw me in, as the spider did the fly. Networks, tease me, with few episode. The Networks,Wine and Dine me without no happy ending..The Networks, played with my emotion. Killed cupid. They breaking my heart again and again. The Networks has no respect for their viewers. Nielsen boxes??? Oh plz! Its Ridiculous… Yet the Networks rating and entire TV productions are being determined by a few percent of the households with a Nielsen box. Between Dish Network, Direct TV, Comcast and Time Warner etc… There’s probably a millions homes with DVR’s technology now r they being counted by Nielsen? I never knew anyone with one box. Its like a poll. More you call the more the poll changes from State to State. Just like voting. More the people vote, the more it shift. Am I being counted? I dont think they care to know. Television become air wave for cheaper production shows. So Networks pushing the Reality shows, Adult Cartoons, Game & Talk Shows down our throats. Keeping garbage, cancel series show.

iamurmstr March 17, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Honestly guys, Outsourced is funny even if a couple of people get mad along the way
this show can go on and on
NBC originally never expected Outsourced to last 1 episode!
now that it did they are putting it on at 10:30 so that no one has time to watch it
i am starting a petition to keep Outsourced on the air so sign up
(Petition dates TBA)

Wacky March 14, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Dori and carolyn has their own points. They’ re exactly right, John youre so insensitive to other cultures, if they feel bad about you remember they are the second biggest population in the world and you just dont know how Hindus get mad when it comes to their culture. Also be knowlegeable enough to know that if nobody will outsource do you think all technical will have a combo, or freebies, not anymore everything will soar from toilet spray to PC to technical gadgets and even TECHNICAL assistance will cost a lot…so John dont be too DUMB… Indians are intelligent guys.

Wacky Duran March 14, 2011 at 8:47 pm

The show is very entertaining, Gupta and Rajivs characters bring life to the sitcom. Pippa is hot and resembles the Nicole Kidman, and Ben was just so natural. The show should be extended and me working as a call center agent in the Philppines cant stop laughing watching every episode. Just by Rajiv’s mischievous character and Gupta’s dumb, dumber look. God it’s a relief to everyday stress….So more of Outsourced…more power to you guys, you give life to all outsourced call centers all over the world.

Alexia March 12, 2011 at 2:57 am

I love Outsourced. I don’t think this show was being insensitive to the jobs here. Is no difference than to shows that are making comedies out of fat people, nerds, and gays. I see this show as an American working overseas, and he is trying to learn their culture as they are trying to learn his. Sometime humor is the best way to learn about ourselves and other cultures.

someone stole my TV, PLZ!!! if u find it February 24, 2011 at 11:55 am

PLZ bring back my TV!!! The cancelation r driving nuz.It seems i have 2 fight 4 so many of my shows we are watching. I’m glad they put OUTSOURCED on Thurs. instead of Monday nites.Why do the Networks shovel so many shows on Monday nites. My DVR want let me tape them all. Very frustrating , some many shows r getting the axe’s. They keep The RealityTV and mindless dysfunctional shows on for years.First time in all my years I have 2 rent movies r play on the net for entertainment.RealityTV>It is CHEAP Entertainment with redneck writters .WHILE More and more Brilliant Witters & actors are out of Jobs. If this keep going at this rate brilliant rate, witters and actor be thing of the past like MOM & POP, stores. RealityTV They have redneck writters with dysfunctional plot, they r rehearsed and edited for drama “The Bachelor”Its a show for naive people who believe, he is looking for love..He is not, really looking for, a bride. That its, just a scripted show too. I think If The Bachelor really wanted to find dysfunctional bride he should do it the old fashion way, in a bar.If it was left up 2 me Kim Kardashians would have 2 find a real job They leave mindless dysfunctional shows on for years.Why are these network’s pushing stupid on us?. Why do we have to fight so hard for shows that have real writters?
GIVE ME A BREAK

kevinj February 10, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Let’s get real- enough with the phony comments. “Outsourced” is not funny. The jokes are old, tired, and lame. The writing in general sucks. Who actually thinks this “joke” of a show provides a window into Indian culture or the reality of outsourcing?! This has nothing to do with political correctness- everyone today is politically incorrect anyway. The jokes just are not funny. Indian stock accents, sacred cows, spicy food…blah blah blah. They ran out of jokes by the second episode. If NBC doesn’t cancel this abortion of a sitcom (with the cheapest set on the network by the way), the execs shouldn’t be wondering why viewers are leaving network tv in droves. I’ll take “the Office” and “30 Rock” any day over an insipid comedy about the negative trend of outsourcing- whose dumb idea was this show anyway?

Melissa February 7, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I don’t think the show is any more offensive than any of the other comedies I watch, but it is just not that funny. Sure it has its’ moments, like every one that features Diedrich Bader, but I have been waiting for word of its’ cancellation for months. There is just something about Ben Rappaport that is unrelatable, and I feel no connection with his character at all.

Anonymous January 20, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Dori is a dumbass

John sabo January 3, 2011 at 1:29 pm

This show will be cancled. Nevermind the fact that it is insensitive to jobs leaving the US, it isnt a funny show. It just isnt good. The jokes are lame and seem old. Who gives a crap about india’s culture anyway.
I know I sound very ignorant right now but I think the whole idea behind this show is unfunny.

Dori January 20, 2011 at 8:42 am

The reason you do not like the show is because you know it is a direct attack on your own character. The show is hilarious. It makes fun of both American culture and Indian culture without offending anyone, unless they are the ones who are at the ‘extreme’ end of how they act.

Outsourcing is not an attack against Americans, it is a part of globalization. It is a very real fact and the longer Americans try to ignore it, the harder it is going to get. When will people realize that shows like Outsourced are trying to make us one world, instead of turning our backs on everyone else? It has already been proven that we cannot do it without the help of other nations.

My third point is that if it were not for outsourcing, do you honestly think you would be sitting at your (foreign made) computer and posting your comment? Look at every single thing you use on a daily basis. There is no way that you can do it without at least half of it being produced along other shores.

Wake up and learn to laugh at yourself, instead of getting defensive. I am sad that Outsourced is gone. It has been a long time since a sit-com made me laugh out loud.

carolyn smith January 21, 2011 at 5:16 am

Wow, really?
Who gives a crap about Indian culture?
John Sabo, i cannot even believe you said that. not only is it rude and insensitive but it is completely uncalled for.
I agree with Dori, the world is gobalizing, we are ALL mixing so we should all, as you so eloquently put it, “give a crap” about each other’s cultures

Jim November 15, 2010 at 1:22 pm

My office is in the Indian-Pakistani section of Chicago (along Devon Avenue ) and, having been active in our local Chamber of Commerce, I have to say that the cultural confusions on both sides are right on! This is one of our favorite programs of the season.
Oh, yes, a Happy Diwali to you all.

Anonymous November 12, 2010 at 12:44 pm

People who are afraid that jobs are going oversseas shoulsd know that how much overseas workers make as compared to americans if working the same job may be 1/4 or lesss than that. It is a nice comedy show.