Painkiller Jane: Sci-Fi Cancels Kristanna Loken Series

Painkiller JaneJane can heal herself but apparently not her ailing series. The Sci Fi Channel has decided to cancel their original program Painkiller Jane after 22 episodes.

Painkiller Jane told the story of DEA Agent Jane Vasco (Kristanna Loken) who discovers that she has the ability to heal quickly from any injury. As a result of this special power, she is recruited by a secret government agency that tracks down “Neuros” – mutant humans with supernormal mental powers. The cast also included Noah Danby, Rob Stewart, Alaina Huffman and Sean Owen Roberts.

Painkiller Jane began as a comic book and was loosely adapted for a 2005 TV movie for Sci Fi. The movie was a success and spawned the television series which debuted on April 13, 2007. Unfortunately, the series premiere attracted a disappointing 1.55 million and viewership has declined from there. As a result, Sci Fi has opted not to renew the series for a second year.

The last episode of Painkiller Jane is still scheduled to air on September 21, 2007. “Endgame” will focus on several powerful Neuros launching a prison break. It’s unknown at this point if the series finale will tie up any loose storylines but a DVD release is expected at some point in the near future. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Neil Sayer July 18, 2010 at 10:50 am

This series just finished airing on UK SCi FI channel. I have to say I agree with WolvenSpectre as I found all the characters stiffer than boards & the acting was as wooden as a forest, but that’s just my opinion. I’d never heard of the comic or saw the TV movie this cam from but I know I won’t miss it.

rubberman December 11, 2008 at 4:11 pm

I just found this series recently (late 2008) and after a few episodes, really started to appreciate the development of the series and got into it altogether. It is really too bad that it was canceled, as I thought it was one of those series that would get better over time and have enough “legs” to generate 4 or 5 seasons of exceptional TV.

marcia richard September 25, 2007 at 3:32 pm

I happen to like pjk also
and thought it had great
future for another season.
Scifi channel keeps shows
like ecw etc. in which I
don’t watch.
Before PainKiller Jane came
on I hardley ever watched the
Scifi channel.
I might watch Eureka but
until they reverse the
decision to cancel PJK I
doubt if I’ll watch the
channel very much.

thornnnn September 21, 2007 at 9:42 pm

well at least now i can delete sci fi channel off my tv guide listings I happened to like that show.. and now i am just too mad at sci fi.. there was a lot worse on sci fi programming than pkj to kill.. pkj was the last thing i would have dropped. as well as being the only thing i watched.

marcia richard September 13, 2007 at 8:40 am

I also want to know if all
Painkiller Jane espisodes are
going to be on DVD. I did
miss some and would like to
watch them as well as rewatch
the others.

marcia richard September 13, 2007 at 8:26 am

I was really getting interested in the show and couldn’t wait for the next
one. I really enjoy Rob Stewart as a lead.
I have watch his acting in a number of shows and tv movies.
Is he going to appear in any
other shows. I hope Scifi
reconsiders and puts PainKiller Jane back on for
another season with the same
cast and give it another chance.
It won’t be the same unless the same cast is in it.

Keen September 7, 2007 at 5:26 am

I had also noticed the name from the comic book and now am remembering some of the tv film. I had done reverse what WolvenSpectre did, found the first few episodes kind of boreing, didn’t watch it for 6 or 10 episodes.

Now half way through the season I started watching again, because i thought it had gotten a lot better, with plot twists and changing up the major characters so to speak.

So I am disappointed they are not going to give it another shot even though half the season wasn’t even over when they canned it, I was really starting to like this show.

Anonymous September 5, 2007 at 6:55 am

The show didn’t live to its full potential, however sci-fi has a knack of killing shows that don’t have a chance to prove themselves. What will their line up be now? Wrestling and Doctor Who?

Joe August 16, 2007 at 8:04 am

I hope they put the TV movie on the box set.

WolvenSpectre August 15, 2007 at 4:09 pm

I don’t know about the “successful movie” as I didn’t see it or even hear of it until now.

When I heard about the pilot I recognized the title from my days in comics and I decided to check it out for several episodes.

I gave it a real chance, but part way into the fourth episode it had become too painful for me to watch.

Much of the supporting cast was stiff and allot of the dialogue was bad. Character’s reactions to situations were often wrong and not the way people would really react in these situations.

I was surprised it made 6 episodes given the current climate networks give to shows, and I hope for anyone who liked it it got much better after I stopped watching.

There was much possibility and genuine push to do honour to its origin in comic books, but where will was willing, the follow through of what I saw was week.