Pan Am: (Finally) Cancelled; No Season Two

cancelled Pan Am by ABCLike the airline that inspired the TV show, Pan Am has been grounded. ABC has cancelled the drama after one season of 14 episodes.

Taking place in the 1960s, Pan Am tells the tale of a group of men and women who work for the Pan Am airline. The large cast includes Christina Ricci, Mike Vogel, Michael Mosley, Kelli Garner, Margot Robbie, and Karine Vanasse.

The drama debuted last September to a solid 3.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 11.06 million total viewers. It was second in its timeslot but there was no shame in being beaten by football on NBC.

Are you upset that Pan Am has been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In week two, Pan Am dropped a reasonable 16% but then dropped a whopping 27% in week three. Over the course of the season, the ratings dwindled down further. Pan Am ended up averaging a 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.39 million viewers but the last few episodes were in the 1.2 demo range.

On our ABC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative success of shows’s demo numbers on the network, Pan Am has a “D+” grade and is one of the worst-rated shows of the season.

There were rumors that the show was being cancelled but they were denied, despite the poor ratings. ABC ordered one additional episode that could have been used to wrap everything up but, for whatever reason, that didn’t happen.

Now, ABC has made it official; Pan Am has been cancelled. The last episode aired on February 19th and unfortunately left some storylines unresolved.

What do you think? Are you surprised that Pan Am has been cancelled? Were you hoping that there would be a second season? Where did the show go wrong?

Sebastián Andrés Segura May 13, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I think the series failed in beeing continuos in a story. Each episode was something different from the last one, there wasn’t a solid storyline to tell. In fact when you try to explain the series the only thing you can say is that ‘it’s the story of the pan am crew’ and that’s it. Besides the fact that ABC kicked chapters as a football ball with their pleasure, so the few fans had to wait, for example those silly ‘mini- hiatus’ of 3 weeks for watching how kate shot the agent in London, and then 3 weeks more to see what happened later AND the cut of one the episodes in the middle. Then they replaced as #13 the episode that had to be in the 7th episode. There were a serie of unfortunate decissions. Anyway, I thought the series was abput to be renewed because of the plot of the last episode, wich let the stories of all the character in stand by. I really hope the cable channel takes Pan Am and give it a new take off :)

Shaun May 13, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Such a shame, I don’t follow many TV shows as I find them long winded etc. Pan Am caught my attention and was my weekly guilty pleasure. Even if the cast have moved onto other projects Im sure a “sensible” network could re-commision it with some, none or all of the original cast and explore all the open endings that were left behind. I think its a disgrace that ABC claimed not to have cancelled it when they clearly did at the end of the first series. It makes no sense to say they were waiting till May to make a decision when they had their minds made up. They have had 6 months to read all the positive feedback that this show created and they still cancelled it?? It just defies all logic!

Marie May 13, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I think this is ridiculous! Bring the show back!!! I mean really

Sophie May 13, 2012 at 6:52 pm

The cancellation of this amazing show had nothing to do with the plot line, acting, or really the show itself. It had to do with the awful job ABC did at promoting it. Sunday nights were a weird time slot. Then it would be on some weeks and off others. It was so inconsistent.
This show was great.
WTF ABC!
It was the only decent show on televison.

sally Ure May 13, 2012 at 6:07 pm

shame . it was well acted, the continuity was excellent, great storylines, and it was wonderful for today’s girls to see what an uphill struggle it was for women to get taken seriously just those few decades ago. Sometimes I wish networks had “loss leaders” …. shows that they spent money on because they were important, not because they were watched by the masses. Shame on you, ABC

mikey May 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm

That TOTALLY stinks. There is so much “faux-reality” crap on TV and then Pan Am comes along and is funny to watch and interesting to see how far fashion and culture has come… and how far we have left to go- and they cancel it? UGH! I’m sure they will replace with it another more crap tv that highlights scheming-back stabbing- alliance building crap. Better start downloading more on my Kindle cause I feel my tv will be off a lot more now.

Trish May 13, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I’m devastated! I loved this show and I’m not ready for there not to be a second series. It was on at a really really bad time slot here in the UK but I also managed to watch it while I was over in the USA. Please reconsider!!!!!!

patrick May 13, 2012 at 11:08 am

I cannot believe that after investing so much time and interest in this shwow Then you cancel it…WTF ??? This was a great show with years of interesting plots and story ideas.
Finally a show all of us airline personnel enjoyed and appreciated…So, Was it canceled due to a Mechanical or weather ?
Bring the show back !!!

Lesley May 13, 2012 at 10:27 am

Loved this series. It did not help that some weeks it was on & other weeks it was not scheduled to air. Hard to keep track when it was on or off.

Marie May 13, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Totally agree!!

Abhimanyu Bose May 13, 2012 at 10:18 am

Pan Am was a marvelous new feel to the field on daily soap… every episode felt like a movie , with groundbreaking special effects, thrilling mysteries which always led to an excellent exciting situation and the inspiring characters. How unfortunate it is that in this world nothing good stays for long. I really wish for it to come back and fill our virtual lives with wondrous excitement AGAIN!!!

Jet May 13, 2012 at 3:35 am

I am sad that Pan Am is cancelled. I looked forward to watching this entertaining show. It had action, humor, drama, and romance. The cast was one of the best I have seen in a long time. Each charactor was interesting. The last episode left such a cliffhanger. I want more.

Jet May 13, 2012 at 2:57 am

I am very upset that Pan Am is cancelled. I liked the characters, the story lines, the action, humor, drama, and romance. You couldn’t have picked a better cast! Each one is fantastic! A lot of the events were true. AND the last episode left a huge cliffhanger. I want to know what 1964 has in store for the characters

thomas daly May 13, 2012 at 2:47 am

yes loved it rumour is there hoping to sell it to cable

Kat May 12, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Okay, seriously, ABC: everyone but you saw the writing on the wall. What point was there in giving us hope that you’d renew it if you weren’t going to. At least ABC aired all episodes, though.

Jason May 12, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I think the problem started when it was ordered to series.