Pan Am: (Finally) Cancelled; No Season Two

cancelled Pan Am by ABCLike the airline that inspired the TV show, Pan Am has been grounded. ABC has cancelled the drama after one season of 14 episodes.

Taking place in the 1960s, Pan Am tells the tale of a group of men and women who work for the Pan Am airline. The large cast includes Christina Ricci, Mike Vogel, Michael Mosley, Kelli Garner, Margot Robbie, and Karine Vanasse.

The drama debuted last September to a solid 3.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 11.06 million total viewers. It was second in its timeslot but there was no shame in being beaten by football on NBC.

Are you upset that Pan Am has been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In week two, Pan Am dropped a reasonable 16% but then dropped a whopping 27% in week three. Over the course of the season, the ratings dwindled down further. Pan Am ended up averaging a 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.39 million viewers but the last few episodes were in the 1.2 demo range.

On our ABC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative success of shows’s demo numbers on the network, Pan Am has a “D+” grade and is one of the worst-rated shows of the season.

There were rumors that the show was being cancelled but they were denied, despite the poor ratings. ABC ordered one additional episode that could have been used to wrap everything up but, for whatever reason, that didn’t happen.

Now, ABC has made it official; Pan Am has been cancelled. The last episode aired on February 19th and unfortunately left some storylines unresolved.

What do you think? Are you surprised that Pan Am has been cancelled? Were you hoping that there would be a second season? Where did the show go wrong?

Anonymous October 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Are you kidding?!!! This is the one show I was waiting for!

Monica August 16, 2012 at 10:32 am

Another great show not given a chance. I’m so tried of network TV, don’t bother watching or getting involved because they’ll only hook you and then cancel!

Hannah August 15, 2012 at 10:44 am

My family LOVED this show!!! I’m also a huge fan of Grey’s Anatomy and to be honest, I would not have minded if ABC cancelled grey’s instead of Pan Am. Such a great show.

Linda August 13, 2012 at 1:21 pm

ABC….this was a stupis act on your part to get rid of this show. I loooovvveee this show and got really into the stories. Just as it got really good and loved how to story was going you now once again cancel a perfect show. Hopefully another channel picks it up. I don’t ever watch shows on ABC really and I sure did watch this one. PLEASE please bring it back. Let’s have something great to watch then to have stupid shows out there that teach bad things to people. Do it for your viewers!!

Javier Lopez July 20, 2012 at 8:19 am

This show was excellent, perhaps slow, but intriguing. Great period piece depicting the 60′s where people cared about their personal appearance to travel rather than wearing flip flops and tank tops to seat next to a stranger. Perhaps society could have learn something from this show. Will be missed! Surprisingly , Skanky shows get the best rating w/o any substance! and yet influence society.

stifito July 14, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I want more!!!

JR July 6, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Another good show bites the dust and were left with crappie Football….

nina June 23, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I agree with Laura

The Cheez June 21, 2012 at 11:32 pm

This show was hooorible! Abc did a good move cancelling it. I wanted to like this show, but i had to force myself to watch the episodes. By the 4th episode..i couldnt take any more. Sooo boring. Feel bad for abc and ctv lol

Don June 19, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Well, I hope ABC is happy. The history of many (if not most) highly regarded network TV shows revovles around sticking with the show as the buzz of the critics gets around to boosting the ratings Short leash now.

Sadly, our family has been watching fewer and fewer network shows – hardly any on ABC. I loved the show (my wife, too). And the Detroit cop show cancelled last year was great too, but…

Note to ABC – we’re not going to sample your new shows this year – they’ll just wind up being cancelled anyway. Just another reason to stop watching ABC (Anything But Creative).

gabriel hasbun July 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Darn! Was a good TV Series. Hope come to air again…

Selma June 16, 2012 at 10:17 am

Why??? So, unfortunate. Pan Am was one of my families favorite shows.

Amanda Sullivan June 15, 2012 at 11:51 pm

NOO I love this show!! I can’t believe that it has been canceled.

camila June 11, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I’m so angry! I loved the show… so sad everything’s about stupid vampires and rumours.

Kristel June 9, 2012 at 7:15 am

Sad to here about this one. Thought it was one of the better show in recent years. I liked the look of the show and the actors too. Such glam-times. So what now, more CSI? Does it always have to be about cops or doctors?

Selma June 16, 2012 at 10:18 am

I’m with ya Kristel.

Yolanda June 21, 2012 at 9:05 am

Agree

Anonymous June 25, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Totally agree!

Kylie July 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I was absolutely in love with this show! As an 18 year old rebelling from the TV shows preferred by my peers (think Jersey Shore and Keeping Up With the Kardashians), I appreciated the class and sophistication that came with Pan Am. ABC was able to create a story with intrigue and drama without having its characters doing stupid things in a drunken stupor. The broadcasting network has lost a gem of a show.

Laura June 8, 2012 at 9:59 am

This was one of my favorite shows! Can’t believe they cancelled it :(