Parenthood: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Four?

Parenthood canceled renewedTonight marks the season finale of NBC’s Parenthood. The ratings are down so will it end up being the series finale as well? Will the show be cancelled or return for a fourth season?

Parenthood debuted back in March of 2009 as a mid-season replacement series. The first season’s 13 episodes ended up averaging a 2.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.38 million total viewers. The show was on the bubble but ended up getting renewed.

NBC didnt wait until mid-season to bring it back and season two kicked off in September 2010. With a full 22 episode season, the show’s averages dropped to a 2.1 in the demo and 5.34 million. Parenthood was on the bubble once again but, once again, it ended up being renewed.

This season, the ratings have dropped once again. The third season of Parenthood (not including tonight’s numbers) have averaged a 1.9 in the demo with 5.13 million. Based on the lower numbers at the start of the season, NBC only ordered 18 installments this time around.

Should Parenthood get a fourth season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ordinarily, one would expect that Parenthood would be on the verge of cancellation once again. However, because the rest of NBC’s schedule is in such sorry shape, Parenthood’s ratings actually look pretty good by comparison.

Out of the 17 scripted programs that have aired on NBC this season, Parenthood has the sixth highest demo ratings, beating out shows like Community, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, and Grimm. On our NBC ratings report card, Parenthood registers a firm “B.”

Based on the season numbers and the fact that Parenthood is co-produced by Universal Television, NBC’s own production company, it’s almost guaranteed to be back for a fourth season.

But, what do you think? Do you think Parenthood should be renewed or cancelled? How long should the series reasonably continue?

Vicki January 27, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Parenthood is one of the best shows on TV…..Please don’t cancel, it’s the best family show we have to watch!!!

Hugh January 27, 2013 at 9:38 pm

The best show ever. Do not cancel

Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 4:35 pm

DON”T CANCEL PLEASE!!!!!!! I love this show!!!!!!

Jo January 26, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Parenthood is a good show. Usually. When the young girl got pregnant, she had an abortion like nothing really happened. The couple got into their first choice colleges and life just went on. That made me sick. The abortion was just shoved under the rug like it is an everyday occurrence. Shame on you for not expanding on what really happens in a situation like that. Everything else seems to be more like real life.

Lynn January 25, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Parenthood should be renewed for a 5th season. It’s the only decent program on TV today!

Rebecca January 25, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I love Parenthood. Please do not cancel this series. It is one of the best series on TV.

Brenda January 25, 2013 at 2:33 pm

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE…DO NOT CANCEL PARENTHOOD!!! If you cancel this amazing show you (NBC) would be making a huge mistake, because it’s by far the BEST show on any of the networks. ALL the actors are fantastic and have the abilitiy to make me feel as if I am part of their large amazing family. I love that Parenthood addresses so many issues that families of today are dealing with and do it in an truthful way. As someone has already said, how could you not renew it for a 5th season and many, many more seasons beyond that. My husband and I are HUGE fans; so, please renew Parenthood and give us something to look forward to every week!!!!!

Carrie January 24, 2013 at 10:25 pm

What a disappointment that the show is ending. I’ve loved watching the show from the beginning. I watch it on hulu, not on the TV because we do not have cable at the house. Sure gonna miss the show.

christine January 24, 2013 at 11:30 am

let’s not let another friday night lights situation happen. this show is superb and a benchmark of television drama. don’t take it off the TV! i watch it on hulu– I hope you’re counting those numbers!

Jeanne McD January 24, 2013 at 10:26 am

Please DO NOT CANCEL

Jeanne McD January 24, 2013 at 10:30 am

Please DO NOT CANCEL Parenthood….I watch very little television, but this is one show I cannot wait to watch each week. My daughter and I watch it together, which is another plus for me. The show is so realistic and the characters couldn’t be any better. It has made me laugh and cry EVERY episode……This is a great family show. We need more of these, we have too many cop, fire and CSI’s….We love Parenthood!!

Spazz January 23, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Please don’t cancel Parenthood. It is a well-written show with real life family situations that relate to today’s families. The characters are excellent and as someone earlier stated, it’s one of the ‘clean’ shows on this year without any murders, violence, or raunchy jokes. It has become one of my favorite shows.

Jo January 26, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Spazz, you say no murders but did you see the finale?

Bill January 23, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Please!!! Keep this show on TV. This is a great family show that addresses real family issues that families face every day. Clearly, the best show on TV. Congrats to the producers and actors.

Susie January 23, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I have watched Parenthood since it first aired. I love it. I love the honest events that happen in this family. I have laughed and cried. Please keep this show on TV

Marcy January 23, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I Love Parenthood. My daughter and I watch it together! Please don’t cancel!

Jo January 26, 2013 at 4:19 pm

How did you handle the topic of abortion with your daughter? Mine was devastated!

Linda January 23, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I’ve watched since the beginning and hope it goes for a few more years! Family values?
WOW, what an idea ! So many shows are NOT. Showing ANY of those!
Thx for renewing and hopefully MANY more!

Krista January 24, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Please don’t cancel this show! This is one of the better television shows on TV these days.