Parenthood: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Four?

Parenthood canceled renewedTonight marks the season finale of NBC’s Parenthood. The ratings are down so will it end up being the series finale as well? Will the show be cancelled or return for a fourth season?

Parenthood debuted back in March of 2009 as a mid-season replacement series. The first season’s 13 episodes ended up averaging a 2.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.38 million total viewers. The show was on the bubble but ended up getting renewed.

NBC didnt wait until mid-season to bring it back and season two kicked off in September 2010. With a full 22 episode season, the show’s averages dropped to a 2.1 in the demo and 5.34 million. Parenthood was on the bubble once again but, once again, it ended up being renewed.

This season, the ratings have dropped once again. The third season of Parenthood (not including tonight’s numbers) have averaged a 1.9 in the demo with 5.13 million. Based on the lower numbers at the start of the season, NBC only ordered 18 installments this time around.

Should Parenthood get a fourth season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ordinarily, one would expect that Parenthood would be on the verge of cancellation once again. However, because the rest of NBC’s schedule is in such sorry shape, Parenthood’s ratings actually look pretty good by comparison.

Out of the 17 scripted programs that have aired on NBC this season, Parenthood has the sixth highest demo ratings, beating out shows like Community, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, and Grimm. On our NBC ratings report card, Parenthood registers a firm “B.”

Based on the season numbers and the fact that Parenthood is co-produced by Universal Television, NBC’s own production company, it’s almost guaranteed to be back for a fourth season.

But, what do you think? Do you think Parenthood should be renewed or cancelled? How long should the series reasonably continue?

stacy February 7, 2013 at 2:38 am

I hope they keep on making the show it is so good. Not like others shows on t.v. I like heartland to. My boyfriend said they where on there way of making season 5 for next year

Garland February 6, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Parenthood is one of the few scripted gems on network television, and it is certainly the ONLY reason I tune in to NBC these days (although I have come to develop a belated appreciation for “Whitney” if I have nothing else to do and can remember what night it’s on). The show dares to credible tackle pretty difficult subjects, and the characters are imperfect and perfectly relatable–every single one of them. I hope they don’t cancel the show because it’s one only two shows I plan my evenings around (the other being CBS’s “The Good Wife”).

Dinah Montoya February 5, 2013 at 5:52 pm

This is a very good show. Please do nt cancel it.

J. DeVoe February 5, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Since when are the only viewers that matter in tv show ratings age 49 and under? ?This is disgusting! That was the on DECENT show left to watch and it angers me that all viewers opinions do not count. Really? NBC You need to do better than that!!!!!

Anonymous February 5, 2013 at 1:04 am

Would love the show to be continued. However, did not like the last show of this season.

J. DeVoe February 5, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Because they tried to wrap up the show so quickly. If you are over 49 your opinion doesn’t seem to matter either!!!! Disgusted!

Sharry Pilgrim February 4, 2013 at 10:45 pm

This is a wonderful realistic show that definitely should NOT be cancelled. This is one of the few shows that I watch and I look forward to watching it.

Lynn February 4, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Please do not cancel Parenthood, a fabulous show, have watched from the very
beginning. I have many friend who feel the same way I do, plus this show is the
topic of conversation with my nail tech.

Sherry February 2, 2013 at 11:01 am

Love the show Parenthood how could it make it its always being taken off for some other tv special!! Keep it on regular so people can find out what a great show and cast it has .

Anonymous February 2, 2013 at 10:57 am

KEEP IT!!!!

Ron Barrett February 1, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I love the show and I know others do too. It’s really the best thing on TV now. It gives the network prestige that it they will lose in part if they cancel it.

Mk February 1, 2013 at 4:52 pm

This is the only show on TV that deals with real day to day issues. Please don’ t take away the only “real” storyline on tv

mary lee January 31, 2013 at 3:34 pm

plse dont cancel my one and only program

Stephanie January 30, 2013 at 11:39 am

Hey – it’s the only TV show I watch besides Downton Abbey! Please don’t cancel it.

shirley January 30, 2013 at 10:33 am

Please don’t cancel this show. We look forward to this great family series.

linda January 29, 2013 at 4:24 pm