Parenthood: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Four?

Parenthood canceled renewedTonight marks the season finale of NBC’s Parenthood. The ratings are down so will it end up being the series finale as well? Will the show be cancelled or return for a fourth season?

Parenthood debuted back in March of 2009 as a mid-season replacement series. The first season’s 13 episodes ended up averaging a 2.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.38 million total viewers. The show was on the bubble but ended up getting renewed.

NBC didnt wait until mid-season to bring it back and season two kicked off in September 2010. With a full 22 episode season, the show’s averages dropped to a 2.1 in the demo and 5.34 million. Parenthood was on the bubble once again but, once again, it ended up being renewed.

This season, the ratings have dropped once again. The third season of Parenthood (not including tonight’s numbers) have averaged a 1.9 in the demo with 5.13 million. Based on the lower numbers at the start of the season, NBC only ordered 18 installments this time around.

Should Parenthood get a fourth season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ordinarily, one would expect that Parenthood would be on the verge of cancellation once again. However, because the rest of NBC’s schedule is in such sorry shape, Parenthood’s ratings actually look pretty good by comparison.

Out of the 17 scripted programs that have aired on NBC this season, Parenthood has the sixth highest demo ratings, beating out shows like Community, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, and Grimm. On our NBC ratings report card, Parenthood registers a firm “B.”

Based on the season numbers and the fact that Parenthood is co-produced by Universal Television, NBC’s own production company, it’s almost guaranteed to be back for a fourth season.

But, what do you think? Do you think Parenthood should be renewed or cancelled? How long should the series reasonably continue?

Canceled and renewed TV show

752 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Pam Williams says

This is one of the best shows on television. It covers so many “real life” issues and the acting is terrific. Just got a new DVR and have been trying to program Parenthood into it and could not locate the program, hence I looked it up on line only to find that it is or was scheduled for cancelation; still can’t figure out which. Have to keep checking to find out!!!

2. Tina says

Best show NBC has. Do not cancel , PLEASE. Really like this family drama so good brings important things to public view like Asbergers!!!

3. Casey says

Do not cancel this show!! Pretty please with sugar on top. This show has such great stories that so many people can relate to. Crazy family, problems with marriage, kids, difficulty of autism, teenagers, fighting cancer, problems with teens ….the list goes on and on. I’m usually watching this show on my iPad in the comfort of my room so the rest of my family doesn’t think I’m crazy for displaying so many motions just from watching a TV show. I love the show….if you couldn’t tell!!

4. Marie says

I love this show! I hope it gets renewed. So many of the stories are so true to life. I love it and can totally relate.

5. Paula says

I DVR this program every week and was very disappointed when it disappeared. So many things were left up in the air and I want the show back!! PLEASE!!!

6. says

Absolutely love this show and agree with other comments about the reality and life situations faced by the Bravermen’s. This show makes me laugh, and cry and empathize. Let this show go one for many seasons. So sick and tired off stupid reality shows and mindless sitcoms. Good actors/actresses and writing for the characters.

7. Celeste says

Love the characters, the plots, and everything about “Parenthood”! My mother who is 80 years old loves the show as well. We enjoy our Wednesday chats about each new episode! Don’t cancel – the last real show remaining on network television………

8. Phyllis says

This is one of the best shows on TV. Perhaps because it has timely, relevant material to dramatize, those who need the unrealistic fixes of “reality shows” or the mindlessness of some of the sitcoms don’t want to bother with true reality that is supurbly written.

9. Chelsea says

When should it end… Never! This show is great, I look forward to catching the next episode every Tuesday. Please don’t cancel this show!

10. Patrice says

The characters and story lines are relatable and thought provoking. One of my favorite shows. Please don’t cancel.

11. Sandy says

Didn’t begin watching until the second year and was completely hooked. Each week I would look forward to the next issue that would be dealt with. I appreciated how the show took on real life issues and handle them so intelligently.