Parenthood: Lauren Graham Takes Over for Maura Tierney; Good Choice?

Lauren GrahamNBC’s new Parenthood series is a new take on Ron Howard’s 1989 light-hearted drama. It revolves around four adult siblings and their parents and the pilot stars Peter Krause, Maura Tierney, Erika Christensen, Dax Shepard, Bonnie Bedelia, and Craig T. Nelson.

The show was supposed to debut in September but a couple months ago, it was reported that production on Parenthood was being delayed. Tierney was diagnosed with breast cancer and a decision was made to wait while she recuperated from surgery. A month ago, Tierney dropped out of the project completely because she needs ongoing treatments.

That news sent casting directors scrambling to find a suitable replacement for the pivotal role. Mad About You’s Helen Hunt was initially approached for the part but ultimately a deal couldn’t be made with Academy Award-winning actress.

Now, another TV show veteran has been tapped to join the cast — Lauren Graham. Of course, the actress has plenty of experience playing a single parent on the small screen. Graham spent seven years playing young mother Lorelai Gilmore on The WB and CW networks’ Gilmore Girls.

Production on the new Parenthood series is expected to begin next month. Episodes are expected to debut in 2010, following NBC’s coverage of the Winter Olympics.

What do you think? Does Lauren Graham sound like a good choice for this drama?

eastsidematt February 22, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Judging by the trailers, this is the most predictable, unoriginal, dull tv crap that exists. Ron Howard hasn’t done anything worth watching for years.

Brandi February 11, 2010 at 2:05 am

Lauren Graham is awesome!!! Will make the show worth watching! Hoping for a gilmore girls movie!!! I miss the witty banter of the Gilmore Girls!

Vicki February 9, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Yeah! So glad that Ms Graham will be back in our living rooms! STILL miss my Gilmore Girls! She is vibrant, funny, and is a great pick for this role! I will definitely be watching now!

Craig February 8, 2010 at 7:38 pm

We’re HUGE fans of Lauren Graham and we too would not have even had any interest in this show until she came on board. She has been so underutilized in movies like Flash of Genius and Evean Almighty, being only cast as the long-suffering wife. She’s much more talented than that, as her time on GG showed. Only difficultly will be accepting her as the parent of anyone but Rory!

laura January 31, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Laurence Graham is the best. She has got to be the greatest actress Hollywood has seen in many many years. I’m biest because she happens to be my absolute favorite actress of all time.

Craig January 19, 2010 at 12:35 pm

She is a great choice for any role! She is an incredible actress with rare timing that is spot on -not seen since Helen Hunt & Paul Reiser in Mad About You! Her delivery, expressions & or course, beauty,makes here to me, the best actress Hollywood has seen in some time!

Wanda Burt January 18, 2010 at 7:38 am

What a great choice I love Lauren Graham this will now be added to my list of shows I have to watch. I have the full seven years of Gilmore Girls and pull it out at least twice a year to watch all the way thru. I miss that show so much hopefully this will help fill that empty space.

lan January 16, 2010 at 12:46 pm

im definitely looking forward to this sow bwecause of lauren graham!

Lisa January 15, 2010 at 12:28 pm

When I heard they were attempting another tv spinoff of Parenthood, I had lukewarm feelings. It is awful that Maura Tierney has been diagnosed with cancer, and I wish her health and happiness in this new year. That being said, I had no plans to watch this show, even with Peter Krause (I too miss the Fishers), but with Lauren Graham in it now I am definitely going to be DVRing the show to see if I like it. I hope so. I so miss the Gilmore Girls…

Chris January 10, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I am really excited that Lauren Graham is going to be in another show. I would not have been interested except that I saw the ad for the show with Lauren Graham and knew it was a must see!

Margie January 9, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I had not heard of this show and when I saw a promo and her face appeared, I had to do research. I will definitly be watching because I love Lauren and will watch anything she is in!

Stefanie January 2, 2010 at 3:00 pm

i didnt know that this show was happening until i searched recent news on Lauren Graham. i was really excited to hear that she will be on t.v. again! sad that she’s not going to be playing the role of Lorelei Gilmore on Gilmore Girls (still hope for a reunion show/movie) anymore but its going to be fun to watch her in action on t.v. again!

molly December 17, 2009 at 11:10 pm

p.s….. as long as peter krause is in, so am i !!!! i miss nate fisher!!!

molly December 17, 2009 at 11:09 pm

not too thrilled with the choice of lauren. wish the deal with helen hunt worked out. would have been nice to see her back on tv. many prayers for maura.

Kathryn December 15, 2009 at 12:29 am

I had heard some things about this show, but now I will be for sure tune-ing in for Lauren! Gilmore Girls is one of my absolute most favorite shows so yeah, I can’t wait to see this show now!