Parenthood: NBC Wants a Second Series Based on the Movie — Will This One Work?

ParenthoodBack in 1989, Ron Howard directed Parenthood, a charming family movie about the extended Buckman clan and the trials and tribulations of raising children. The light-hearted film was a box office success and stars a diverse cast including Steve Martin, Tom Hulce, Rick Moranis, Martha Plimpton, Keanu Reeves, Jason Robards, Mary Steenburgen, Dianne Wiest, Martha Plimpton, and Joaquin Phoenix. The movie was nominated for two Academy Awards, with Wiest being nominated for Best Supporting Actress and composer Randy Newman landing a Best Song nomination.

Based on the success of the film, NBC decided to try making a Parenthood TV show. The plot was very similar and three actors reprised their suppting roles; Ivyann Schwan, Zachary La Voy, and Max Elliott Slade. The series stars Ed Begley, Jr., Maryedith Burrell, Ken Ober, William Windom, and Jayne Atkinson. Curiously, many of the young and virtually unknown castmembers have gone on to a great amount of success over the years — David Arquette, Thora Birch, and some guy named Leonardo DiCaprio. Other castmembers include Mary Jackson, Sheila MacRae, Bess Meyer, Susan Norman.

Though the half-hour sitcom was co-written by a pre-Buffy the Vampire Slayer Joss Whedon, it wasn’t a favorite with viewers or critics. Only 12 episodes were made before Parenthood was cancelled. The last episode aired on August 11, 1991.

Will a new Parenthood be a success?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Now, 20 years after the theatrical release of the movie, NBC is developing a new Parenthood TV show. It’s being adapted by Jason Katims (Friday Night Lights) who will executive produce, along with Imagine TV’s Howard and Brian Grazier. The project supposedly will not interfere with Katim’s commitment to Lights, should it be renewed for another season.

Peter Krause (Dirty Sexy Money) and Maura Tierney (ER) have just been cast in the project and will play the roles originated by Martin and Weist in the film version. They join several other cancelled TV show veterans. Erika Christensen (Six Degrees), Mae Whitman (Arrested Development), Sarah Ramos (Runaway), are all set to co-star and Craig T. Nelson (Coach) and Dax Shepard (Punk’d) are currently in negotiations to join them.

This new version of Parenthood will be an hour-long update of the original and take into account the modern challenges of parenting in today’s fast-paced world. The network has committed to shooting a pilot but hasn’t given the series a full greenlight yet.

lINDA r. December 9, 2010 at 1:48 pm

pLEASE, PLEASE DON’T CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!!!!! iT’S WONDERFUL , DIFFERENT
CLEAN FAMILY STUFF. WHERE DO I GO SO THIS CAN BE HEARD AND ACKNOWEDGED?

LINDA KING December 6, 2010 at 8:48 am

Finally, there is a television show that holds the interest of the audience. I sit through without a cat or rat chewing on a corpse…..how refreshing. I loved the Thanksgiving program! How Great Thou Art and you let them pray! THANK YOU! My TIVO has not recorded it since Thanksgiving show…..what happened?

Angelina December 11, 2010 at 9:30 am

They took a break in December and start back up with new episodes in January apparently. Bummer though, that we don’t get to watch the Braverman’s have Christmas at Christmas time, eh? Oh, well. I was worried for a second that the show had been canceled! Not the case though. You can confirm this on the NBC Parentood Episode website.

Nicole D December 2, 2010 at 11:06 pm

PLEASE DON’T CANCEL!! i love this show! where do I rate it to keep it???! it’s the highlight of my Tuesday nights!!

Denise November 30, 2010 at 11:29 am

I Just Love this show,Thank God for a Comedy.

John June 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm

ep 13 didn’t seem like a season finale though.

John June 15, 2010 at 9:51 am

is there a season finale for this season? when does it start up again?

admin June 15, 2010 at 10:43 am

@John: Episode 13 aired on 5/25. Season two starts in the fall. There’s no exact date yet.

Steve June 7, 2010 at 7:40 am

I see that Parenthood’s time slot has been taken. Was it canceled?

admin June 7, 2010 at 8:16 am

@Steve: It’s coming back next season.

Tracey May 25, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Please don’t cancell this show! It is one of the better shows that is on tv these days!

Nicole May 6, 2010 at 11:12 am

This show is awesome, finally some real life on tv.

Alicia Dutkowska April 20, 2010 at 8:40 pm

The Parenthood show helps me stay sane through my daily struggles of parenthood. Any parent can relate to it! Well needed fun refreshing solid show.

claudia April 13, 2010 at 7:24 pm

This show makes me want to have a family that cares for each otherm now a days we are so selfcentered and only our own problems are important, in Parenthood everyone try to help each other eventhough each family member has their own problems. This show is very inspiring.

Jo Hannon April 10, 2010 at 9:13 am

This is a great show put in the worst possible time slot. Boo NBC. I would follow Peter Krause anywhere.Been a fan since Sports Night and Craig T. is always great. Please give the show a chance by moving it to 8 on a different night, opposite a stupid reality show. I watch night dramas and this is one of the best……………….

Danielle March 13, 2010 at 10:54 am

I absolutely love this show. I haven’t said that in a very long time.

Dawn March 11, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I just watched the Pilot, Loved it. I hope it will last, the show has a great refreshing story and wonderfull cast as well. My favorites are Lauren Graham, Peter Krause and Craig T. Nelson. Its a keeper.

Harold March 9, 2010 at 9:09 pm

This TV show has been a welcome and refreshing respite from the usual crap shown on network television. The writing, acting and storey lines are thoughtful and very entertaining. I fear for it’s future!