Parenthood: Season Four Ratings

NBC parenthood ratingsUnfortunately, Parenthood has never been a hit TV show in the ratings. Fortunately, the numbers have been good enough to keep it from being cancelled each year. Will the Braverman family’s luck hold out? Time will tell.

An ensemble family drama, the cast includes Bonnie Bedelia, Craig T. Nelson, Dax Shepard, Erika Christensen, Joy Bryant, Lauren Graham, Mae Whitman, Max Burkholder, Miles Heizer, Monica Potter, Peter Krause, Sam Jaeger, Sarah Ramos, Savannah Paige Rae, and Tyree Brown.

Season four of Parenthood typically airs on Tuesdays nights at 10pm on the NBC network. They’ve ordered 15 episodes.

These are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if Parenthood is going to be cancelled or renewed for season five.

The figures will be updated as the weeks progress so be sure to bookmark and return to this page:

UPDATE: NBC has renewed this show for 2013-14 and has ordered 22 episodes.

Final season averages: 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.98 million total viewers.

Episode 04-15: Tuesday, 01/22/13 (season finale)
1.8 in the demo (-5% change) with 4.87 million (-2% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 4.98 million.

Episode 04-14: Tuesday, 01/15/13
1.9 in the demo (0% change) with 4.96 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 4.99 million.

NBC TV show ratingsEpisode 04-13: Tuesday, 01/08/13
1.9 in the demo (+6% change) with 5.30 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 4.99 million.

Episode 04-12: Tuesday, 01/01/13
1.8 in the demo (-10% change) with 5.37 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 4.96 million.

Episode 04-11: Tuesday, 12/11/12
2.0 in the demo (+11% change) with 5.73 million (+15% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 4.93 million.

Episode 04-10: Tuesday, 12/04/12
1.8 in the demo (0% change) with 4.98 million (+11% change).
Season averages: 1.82 in the demo with 4.85 million.

Episode 04-09: Tuesday, 11/27/12
1.8 in the demo (+6% change) with 4.49 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 1.82 in the demo with 4.83 million.

Episode 04-08: Tuesday, 11/20/12
1.7 in the demo (-11% change) with 4.62 million (-4% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 4.88 million.

Episode 04-07: Tuesday, 11/13/12
1.9 in the demo (0% change) with 4.82 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 4.91 million.

Episode 04-06: Tuesday, 10/23/12
1.9 in the demo (-5% change) with 4.85 million (-2% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 4.93 million.

Episode 04-05: Tuesday, 10/09/12
2.0 in the demo (+25% change) with 4.95 million (+11% change).
Season averages: 1.82 in the demo with 4.94 million.

Episode 04-04: Tuesday, 10/02/12
1.6 in the demo (-11% change) with 4.45 million (-8% change).
Season averages: 1.77 in the demo with 4.94 million.

Episode 04-03: Tuesday, 09/25/12
1.8 in the demo (0% change) with 4.85 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 5.10 million.

Episode 04-02: Tuesday, 9/18/12
1.8 in the demo (-5% change) with 4.98 million (-9% change).
Season averages: 1.85 in the demo with 5.23 million.

Episode 04-01: Tuesday, 9/11/12
1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.48 million total viewers.
Season averages: 1.90 in the demo with 5.48 million.

It wasn’t a great start of the season. Though Parenthood won its timeslot (opposite reruns), it was down year-to-year by 14% in the coveted demo (vs a 2.2 rating) and down by 13% in total viewers (vs 6.29 million). This isn’t a big surprise however since each season opener has been lower than the one before it.

Reference point: The 2011-12 season of Parenthood averaged a 1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 5.13 million viewers.

Note: These ratings are collected by the Nielsen company and are the final national numbers. These are different from the fast affiliate numbers which are just estimates of the actual ratings and are reported by most other outlets. The final nationals are typically released within 24 hours of the programming or, in the case of weekends and holidays, a couple days later.

What do you think? Do you like the Parenthood TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a fifth season?

Amazon.com Widgets

Jstickell January 25, 2013 at 10:48 am

This show has changed my life. The way they see things makes me see things differently in my own life. There’s not one episode where I don’t want I cry. I’ve never been so attached to characters. There’s no show like this one and I truly hope they don’t cancel it!

B Malone January 25, 2013 at 9:27 am

Renew this show. I think its the best show on TV!! Clean cut family oriented. The only show of its kind. Best season ever!! Please renew!!

marcia January 25, 2013 at 8:52 am

Please leave parenthood on air. This show hits real life and real topics everyday. It has touched close to home so many times. It has been preparing me for when my kids leave home which will be soon and this mama isnt ready. Again please leave it on the air

Meagan January 24, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I Love parenthood! I just started watching it this year and I love all the characters! We watch it on huluplus because we don’t have cable, does that effect the ratings?

Lisa January 24, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Love this show!!! I’ve been a fan since episode one. It’s one of the best quality shows on tv. Beautifully portrayed by a fantastic ensemble cast with well-written real storylines. Definitely deserves to be re-newed!

Donna Tharp January 24, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Keep this show on the air its a very good family show, that keeps up with an average American family, without a bunch of cussing, and a show that people can relate to the people involved, they have normal family problems that we can relate to. We need more shows like this one !!

Deborah January 24, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I can’t believe this program could be cancelled. There aren’t many decent shows on tv any longer. Some of us are so tired of the reality shows. We would like to keep real entertainment on. This family is so diverse yet they are so real.

Linda January 24, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Parenthood is one of the best shows on television. It portrays realistic family situations with trials and tribulations of everyday life. It’s a fine portrayal of the middle class family. The cast is outstanding…..depicting ordinary true to life people. My husband and I look forward to each Tuesday night knowing that our favorite show, Parenthood, will be airing with a new episode. Perhaps this show should have been promoted with more enthusiasm. Hoping this wonderful show will return next season.

Stephanie January 24, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I absolutely LOVE this show!! I have been a follower since the very first episode. I would be devastated if it were cancelled. The cast is great & portray their characters extremely well. Also, the situations they face happen in real life. I will continue to be a follower as long as you keep it showing. love love love it!!!! :)

Sue January 24, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Parenthood and NCIS are my two favorite shows. Parenthood is one of the few family shows on TV.

AnnJanette Toth January 24, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I love love love the show! I am be devastated if they take it off the air!!! I think it is just a show that did not get a lot of viewers at the beginning but all of my friends are ordering it on Netflix now!!! Show that deals with all real stuff in a light-hearted way! LOVE IT!!!

Stacey January 24, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Love this show! Should be renewed!

Teri Baldridge January 24, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I LOVE PARENTHOOD. Please bring it back!!!!

Susan January 24, 2013 at 7:08 am

Great show – have been downloading Season 4 in Australia because it isnt on our tv’s yet. Deals with real life issues so well – Bring on Season 5!!

L CLark January 24, 2013 at 3:43 am

I love the show Parenthood, I watched it on Netflix, and apologize for not being a watcher week after week! They need to count viewers on Netflix, because I notified all my friends to watch it on Netflix, and they too enjoy it, How did I miss such a great show with a Fabulous Cast… Love Camille the Grandmother!!!!!