Parenthood: Season Four Ratings

NBC parenthood ratingsUnfortunately, Parenthood has never been a hit TV show in the ratings. Fortunately, the numbers have been good enough to keep it from being cancelled each year. Will the Braverman family’s luck hold out? Time will tell.

An ensemble family drama, the cast includes Bonnie Bedelia, Craig T. Nelson, Dax Shepard, Erika Christensen, Joy Bryant, Lauren Graham, Mae Whitman, Max Burkholder, Miles Heizer, Monica Potter, Peter Krause, Sam Jaeger, Sarah Ramos, Savannah Paige Rae, and Tyree Brown.

Season four of Parenthood typically airs on Tuesdays nights at 10pm on the NBC network. They’ve ordered 15 episodes.

These are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if Parenthood is going to be cancelled or renewed for season five.

The figures will be updated as the weeks progress so be sure to bookmark and return to this page:

UPDATE: NBC has renewed this show for 2013-14 and has ordered 22 episodes.

Final season averages: 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.98 million total viewers.

Episode 04-15: Tuesday, 01/22/13 (season finale)
1.8 in the demo (-5% change) with 4.87 million (-2% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 4.98 million.

Episode 04-14: Tuesday, 01/15/13
1.9 in the demo (0% change) with 4.96 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 4.99 million.

NBC TV show ratingsEpisode 04-13: Tuesday, 01/08/13
1.9 in the demo (+6% change) with 5.30 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 4.99 million.

Episode 04-12: Tuesday, 01/01/13
1.8 in the demo (-10% change) with 5.37 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 4.96 million.

Episode 04-11: Tuesday, 12/11/12
2.0 in the demo (+11% change) with 5.73 million (+15% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 4.93 million.

Episode 04-10: Tuesday, 12/04/12
1.8 in the demo (0% change) with 4.98 million (+11% change).
Season averages: 1.82 in the demo with 4.85 million.

Episode 04-09: Tuesday, 11/27/12
1.8 in the demo (+6% change) with 4.49 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 1.82 in the demo with 4.83 million.

Episode 04-08: Tuesday, 11/20/12
1.7 in the demo (-11% change) with 4.62 million (-4% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 4.88 million.

Episode 04-07: Tuesday, 11/13/12
1.9 in the demo (0% change) with 4.82 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 4.91 million.

Episode 04-06: Tuesday, 10/23/12
1.9 in the demo (-5% change) with 4.85 million (-2% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 4.93 million.

Episode 04-05: Tuesday, 10/09/12
2.0 in the demo (+25% change) with 4.95 million (+11% change).
Season averages: 1.82 in the demo with 4.94 million.

Episode 04-04: Tuesday, 10/02/12
1.6 in the demo (-11% change) with 4.45 million (-8% change).
Season averages: 1.77 in the demo with 4.94 million.

Episode 04-03: Tuesday, 09/25/12
1.8 in the demo (0% change) with 4.85 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 5.10 million.

Episode 04-02: Tuesday, 9/18/12
1.8 in the demo (-5% change) with 4.98 million (-9% change).
Season averages: 1.85 in the demo with 5.23 million.

Episode 04-01: Tuesday, 9/11/12
1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.48 million total viewers.
Season averages: 1.90 in the demo with 5.48 million.

It wasn’t a great start of the season. Though Parenthood won its timeslot (opposite reruns), it was down year-to-year by 14% in the coveted demo (vs a 2.2 rating) and down by 13% in total viewers (vs 6.29 million). This isn’t a big surprise however since each season opener has been lower than the one before it.

Reference point: The 2011-12 season of Parenthood averaged a 1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 5.13 million viewers.

Note: These ratings are collected by the Nielsen company and are the final national numbers. These are different from the fast affiliate numbers which are just estimates of the actual ratings and are reported by most other outlets. The final nationals are typically released within 24 hours of the programming or, in the case of weekends and holidays, a couple days later.

What do you think? Do you like the Parenthood TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a fifth season?

Amazon.com Widgets

M. Ring January 22, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Please do not cancel this show!! I will be so sad and will cry for a long, long time!! I have been watching since the first episode. My husband has started watching past episodes on Netflix and is a fan. He only watches reality shows and sporting events!! We are huge fans of the show. Please DO NOT CANCEL!!!!

Margaret January 22, 2013 at 12:32 am

I love this beautifully written and acted show. I am so sorry this season is so short, wake up America! This is you!

BAKER GAL January 21, 2013 at 10:54 pm

PARENTHOOD is inspiring and deals with real like issues of family and parenting. I am moved every episode as it makes me laugh and cry. My husband and I watch it together and sometimes re-watch episodes. Please do not cancel our favourite show, the cast and story line is remarkable.

Jessica January 21, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I LOVE Parenthood & I look forward to watching the Bravermans every week. They are such a loving, caring & “real” family that shows us what family is all about. It would be a shame to see it go. Please keep my favorite family going & growing with my family.

Amy January 21, 2013 at 10:42 am

This show is my favorite! I would be so bummed if it was cancelled!

susan January 21, 2013 at 12:09 pm

This is such a good show. No murders. No back stabbing. No dirty jokes. Just an honest look at a great family who love each other. Please renew it for another season.

sarah January 20, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Parenthood is my & my husbands favorite show! We can hardly wait to watch it, to laugh together, to cry together. I cannot imagine having a connection with another “family” like The Braverman’s. Please do not cancel this show. We’ve been fans from the very first episode and will continue to support every upcoming episode of Parenthood.

Anonymous January 20, 2013 at 11:26 am

Love the show and its relevant topics.

Lisa January 19, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Don’t you dare cancel this show. It is one of a handful of truly good shows on TV. What would you look to replace it with??? Another (so-called) reality TV show??? Spare us… This show is great… moving… and more real than most.

K Herbert January 18, 2013 at 10:20 pm

My husband and I NEVER miss an episode and every week say that it is the BEST show on television! I am so sad the the season is already ending. The acting is fantastic, the writing is great, and it so nice to watch a high quality show that doesn’t rely on violence or sex to get ratings. This show should definitely continue! Please do not cancel!!

GV January 18, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Parenthood is my husband and my favorite tv show. We have never missed an episode and record it on Tivo each week. I really, really hope that they do not cancel it. I’m surprised about the ratings because people that I know who have recently started watching the show love it too.

Debra January 18, 2013 at 1:01 am

I love this show. Never missed and episode. This family is so interesting to watch. I live being involved in their life’s each week.
Please please keep it on TV.
My favorite show!!

Pat January 17, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Parenthood is by far my favorite show on TV. The characters are so relatable, the issues are so interresting and current – each episode leaves me wanting more! It’s hard to believe a quality show like this could be cancelled. I’m really hoping it continues . . . I would miss it terribly!

Ed January 17, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Just checked the ratings for last night: Parenthood led its time slot among network shows!

Ed January 17, 2013 at 2:16 pm

It is rare that a network TV show will take on serious, and sometimes unpleasant, issues, and do it as well as it does (I suppose something that is typical of a show that Ron Howard is associated with). It would be a shame to cancel it.

D. Hawkins January 17, 2013 at 1:45 pm

PLease, PLEASE DON”T CANCEL this show !!!!! Being able to watch this show is getting me through one of the darkest times of my life. It might be a small thing to some people, but I’m holding on by very fine threads right now. Please…

Anonymous January 23, 2013 at 2:10 am

A great show! I would like to see it renewed. Themes are relevant to today’s families.