Party Down: Starz TV Show Cancelled; No Season Three

Party DownThough critics and some fans loved it, Starz has announced that they have canceled their Party Down series after two seasons and 20 episodes.

Co-created by Dan Etheridge, John Enbom, Paul Rudd, and Rob Thomas, Party Down revolves around a team of Los Angeles caterers. They’re really a group of aspiring actors, writers, and musicians who are working to pay the bills while waiting for their big break. The cast has included Adam Scott, Ken Marino, Lizzy Caplan, Martin Starr, Megan Mullally, Ryan Hansen, Jane Lynch, and Jennifer Coolidge.

Starz has been trying to differentiate itself from the other pay-for-view channels. Some attempts have been more successful than others. While Party Down did attract a cult following, it was ultimately too small a group to necessitate a third season.

The season (now series) finale of Party Down attracted a 0.0 rating (that’s not a typo) in the coveted 18-49 demographic and just 74,000 viewers. If the departure of Scott (and Lynch before him) didn’t seal the show’s fate, numbers like these certainly did.

Should Party Down have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

When the series was renewed for season two, Stephan Shelanski, EVP of Starz programming, said, “Starz aims to give our audience fresh, original and enormously entertaining originals to accompany our lineup of hit feature films, and Party Down certainly fit that bill its first season… The comedic pedigree of the cast not only complements the incredible writing, but cements the show as one of a handful of truly original comedies on the air today.”

Today, Shelanski’s statement sung a different tune. It said, “After careful consideration, we’ve decided not to continue on with subsequent seasons of Party Down and Gravity. We’re grateful to everyone involved in the shows, and are proud to have had them on the channel. Starz remains committed to aggressively expanding our original programming lineup.”

What do you think? Are you sorry to see Party Down go? How would you have ended the series?

gr8fulgirl-not so gr8ful anymore August 2, 2010 at 7:59 pm

DUH!!! What were they thinking? This show is/was just starting to generate a buzzzzzz! Think of they $ they could have made on previous season dvds when its went big!
Starz not the right venue for this kind of raw edge comedy! HBO or Showtime next time.

Anonymous July 18, 2010 at 12:24 am

the world just got less funny

Party Downer July 13, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Nooooo this is officially my new favorite show and now I find out it’s cancelled? This is as big a travesty as Fox canceling arrested development. This show is seriously comedically on par with that show and killed off too soon. This kills me.

Please let some network bring it back in the future.

Mick July 11, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Party Down belonged on a channel that’d take the time with it like an FX. Paired with “Always Sunny” it would of killed! Hell, even HBO would of given it time to develop…

It’s not the only shows canceled before their time this year:

Kelley July 11, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I love the show so much, but canceled my Starz subscription after Season One because times got tough and I couldn’t justify the expense. Like a lot of people, I watched Season 2 on Netflix.com. I hope someone was tracking those hits, because if not, why bother putting the show on that platform? And it is too bad that there is no way to count illegal downloads without sending people to jail. I know many many fans got their PD fix that way.I don’t know if those viewers would have been enough to constitute renewal, but they certainly add up to more than 0.0.

It’s really too bad that the show kept losing its actors to other (better paying) series and that the network just didn’t trust in it enough to give it another chance. Name recognition was just starting to pick up steam with “regular people” who don’t read the trades and the blogs and I know more than a few casual viewers who were on the verge on becoming fans. Shame.

errrr July 10, 2010 at 12:28 am

How can they cancel this show, it was so great….this is only being canceld because of bad promotion. There is absolutly no promotion for this show at all, and now they taken it off netflix instant streaming, FU!!! starz!!!!!!

Greg Page July 5, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Aw no! I love that show! It is so hilarious! The writing was so fresh and i just could not stop laughing. It was a pure genius piece of work.

Dom July 4, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Ordinary f****** people…

Jeff H July 4, 2010 at 11:05 am

This show was up there with such shows as Curb your enthusiasm. The cameos in each episode were awesome and hilarious. I was so disappointed when someone told me the other day that it was canceled. I originally heard about the show from a friend and the first episode I watched was the “Jackall Onassis” episode which almost made me pee myself. Great show, bring it back!!!!!

Jason Reeves July 2, 2010 at 5:17 am

I love Party Down. It took me awhile to see where they were going but by the end of season 2 it suped me up to see where they were going to take the cast in season3. I read that the finale got a 0.0 rating,my question is this….does ondemand count if u watch an episode on there? Cause Starz put the finale on demand 2 weeks before it aired! I watched it before ep#9 aired. So if I can dvr it or watch it ondemand why would I sit in front of my tv at 10pm on a fri if I don’t have to. Now I’m wondering if the networks are going to put the blame on people like me by saying were killing the shows cause we don’t watch them when they air. that’s if ondemand doesn’t count as ratings. I love Party Down. Please give it another chance Starz. If not please sell the show to HBO or another network that’s willing to give it life again.

Brian Newlon July 1, 2010 at 8:01 pm

NOO AMAZING SHOW!!!!!

Trav July 1, 2010 at 10:32 am

I can’t believe it’s ratings were THAT bad! Especially with such a phenomenal cast. Then again, you only saw ads for Party Down immediately before or immediately after the episode.

Hard Sci Fi July 1, 2010 at 9:42 am

Martin Starr is the curse. In another exemplary show cut down before it could truly stretch its wings. Somebody do your network a favor and pick up this show.

Kelly June 30, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I loved this show and now i am devastated

Ryan June 30, 2010 at 3:26 pm

honestly this show was hilarious and should be on a network like HBO with more viewers. Problem with the show…NO PROMOTION.