Party Down: Starz TV Show Cancelled; No Season Three

Party DownThough critics and some fans loved it, Starz has announced that they have canceled their Party Down series after two seasons and 20 episodes.

Co-created by Dan Etheridge, John Enbom, Paul Rudd, and Rob Thomas, Party Down revolves around a team of Los Angeles caterers. They’re really a group of aspiring actors, writers, and musicians who are working to pay the bills while waiting for their big break. The cast has included Adam Scott, Ken Marino, Lizzy Caplan, Martin Starr, Megan Mullally, Ryan Hansen, Jane Lynch, and Jennifer Coolidge.

Starz has been trying to differentiate itself from the other pay-for-view channels. Some attempts have been more successful than others. While Party Down did attract a cult following, it was ultimately too small a group to necessitate a third season.

The season (now series) finale of Party Down attracted a 0.0 rating (that’s not a typo) in the coveted 18-49 demographic and just 74,000 viewers. If the departure of Scott (and Lynch before him) didn’t seal the show’s fate, numbers like these certainly did.

Should Party Down have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

When the series was renewed for season two, Stephan Shelanski, EVP of Starz programming, said, “Starz aims to give our audience fresh, original and enormously entertaining originals to accompany our lineup of hit feature films, and Party Down certainly fit that bill its first season… The comedic pedigree of the cast not only complements the incredible writing, but cements the show as one of a handful of truly original comedies on the air today.”

Today, Shelanski’s statement sung a different tune. It said, “After careful consideration, we’ve decided not to continue on with subsequent seasons of Party Down and Gravity. We’re grateful to everyone involved in the shows, and are proud to have had them on the channel. Starz remains committed to aggressively expanding our original programming lineup.”

What do you think? Are you sorry to see Party Down go? How would you have ended the series?

Tommy Gustaveson February 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Yeah my roommate and I just finished the 2 seasoms and were bummed to find online that the third had been canceled. So funny, so original and in the same realm to us as Arrested Development I think the ending of Party Down was planned to be followed up with a 3rd season so its really unfortunate

A Fan Too Late February 3, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in… While I never watched the show on Starz. I just finished watching it on Netflix… Both seasons in a week. Fist “Better of Ted” was canceled by ABC and now this.

Every show we find to watch and really enjoy gets canceled.

I never knew this show existed. They should have advertised it like HBO did with “Boardwalk Empire”.

Considering we ordered HBO just to watch the show, I am sure that if people knew that Starz was going to have such a great show they might have ordered as well. I always thought that Stars was just an “Old Movie Channel” and never bothered to order a channel that did nothing but play movies I had already seen.

Sucks for them… this was an awesome show…

Matt

enzo January 27, 2011 at 11:26 am

awful decision… one of the smartest and funniest shows on television. Too bad – will miss it. Starz – you have to learn to market

joe January 27, 2011 at 12:09 am

wow never watching starz again> wtf best show u had

Holly January 22, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Oh yes. Please cancel this show because now I will have the time to watch the Kardashians, the Jersey Shore, grotesque Housewifes from wherever, Glenn Beck and all of his peace and love touting buddies………..please don’t make me go on. BRING IT BACK!

J Mac January 21, 2011 at 12:14 pm

This is a BIG MISTAKE…. Party Down was so Unique. Terrifically written, well executed, great cast. Great idea for a show….I hope that it gets picked up by another network. Best of luck to Adam Scott, Lizzy Caplan and all the producers/directors/writers.

Holly January 21, 2011 at 1:07 am

They should make a Party Down movie!

Kelly January 20, 2011 at 2:39 pm

That sucks! I really started to get into this show after watching a marathon on Netflix instant play! I hope another network picks it up!

Trish January 5, 2011 at 12:42 am

Loved the characters and the wonderful actors that portrayed them. The chemistry they all had together made the show work. Season One was as a now Seperated 42 year old I can laugh at over at over and over – the great Jane Lynch really made that first season special. But, so did Adam Scott and Lizzy Caplan, Martin Starr, Ken Marino, Ryan Hansen, the awesome Jennifer Coolidge, and Megan and her “Escapade”. Starz please if you are going to rely on trash like Spartacus just blood spewing and decapitated head flying around than your attempts to create your own series like HBO and Showtime have will “CRASH” yes pun intented.

Josh M December 31, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Was my favortie show. :( this sucks

Renee December 28, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Very Very disappointed the show was cancelled. I thought it was well written and superbly acted. Adding Megan M. was a wonderful decision. So sorry to see such a witty show go.

Anonymous December 18, 2010 at 2:46 am

well maybe it this wasnt on at like 9 or 10 on a friday night it would have panned out differently… starz get ur act together man… ur about to be canceled from my comcast bill.. the only thing you have going for you is playing step brothers on repeat… i really like this show.. my only hope is hbo picks it up.. they hit u w the adds and then ur in love

Dan November 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I miss them already. This was a good show, but all good things come to an end, 3 of the main charatcers left the show for other projects. Constance went to Glee, The other went to Parks and recreation, and Kyle went to Friends with Benefits. Attrition I would say killed the show.

Barnaby James October 16, 2010 at 12:59 am

This blows. Such great writing and characters. I’m sad now.

paul beckwith September 3, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Amazing that this show was cancelled. Just hilarious…. on Air Canada in flight and watch it all. So funny, a little crude but really fresh. Definitely as good as modern family, cougartown, gary unmarried. Really too bad…