Party Down: Starz TV Show Cancelled; No Season Three

Party DownThough critics and some fans loved it, Starz has announced that they have canceled their Party Down series after two seasons and 20 episodes.

Co-created by Dan Etheridge, John Enbom, Paul Rudd, and Rob Thomas, Party Down revolves around a team of Los Angeles caterers. They’re really a group of aspiring actors, writers, and musicians who are working to pay the bills while waiting for their big break. The cast has included Adam Scott, Ken Marino, Lizzy Caplan, Martin Starr, Megan Mullally, Ryan Hansen, Jane Lynch, and Jennifer Coolidge.

Starz has been trying to differentiate itself from the other pay-for-view channels. Some attempts have been more successful than others. While Party Down did attract a cult following, it was ultimately too small a group to necessitate a third season.

The season (now series) finale of Party Down attracted a 0.0 rating (that’s not a typo) in the coveted 18-49 demographic and just 74,000 viewers. If the departure of Scott (and Lynch before him) didn’t seal the show’s fate, numbers like these certainly did.

Should Party Down have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

When the series was renewed for season two, Stephan Shelanski, EVP of Starz programming, said, “Starz aims to give our audience fresh, original and enormously entertaining originals to accompany our lineup of hit feature films, and Party Down certainly fit that bill its first season… The comedic pedigree of the cast not only complements the incredible writing, but cements the show as one of a handful of truly original comedies on the air today.”

Today, Shelanski’s statement sung a different tune. It said, “After careful consideration, we’ve decided not to continue on with subsequent seasons of Party Down and Gravity. We’re grateful to everyone involved in the shows, and are proud to have had them on the channel. Starz remains committed to aggressively expanding our original programming lineup.”

What do you think? Are you sorry to see Party Down go? How would you have ended the series?

Eric June 30, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Bring back Party Down!

Gigi May 30, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Somebody has to bring this back. Good writing, quite a true interpretation of catering companies and how we work there to pay bills, and for the flexibility it offers to pursue our dreams. I know it could not last forever but 1 or 2 more seasons would have been great.

Rockus May 26, 2011 at 4:30 pm

What a waste. It seems like no one has the patience to see anything through in the world of television. Every time a good new show comes along it ends up getting canceled before it has time to pick up steam. Case in point- Family Guy. Hopefully someone will pick this one back up.

Ginger March 10, 2011 at 1:03 am

Like many have said before, thank you Netflix for bringing this amazing show to me! I was so disappointed to find that the show didn’t get a third season, especially with the second season ending on such a hopeful note. I truly believe that a more accessible network would have made this original, quirky show based on strong writing and talented actors go far. I would be ecstatic if any well known network (like Showtime or HBO) would pick this up!

Danielle March 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I remember seeing commercials for this show, and thinking, wow, that looks really good! Like so many others though, I don’t subscribe to Starz, so I didn’t see Party Down until it was too late. I discovered it on Netflix, and have been hooked ever since. Thank you, Netflix! In a television world where, Law & Order/CSI and copycat shows are shoved down our throats ad nauseam, and endless mind numbing reality shows also litter the airwaves, it was a real treat to see a show that was so original, and so well written, that it was actually unpredictable. That’s right, unpredictable! An almost unheard of concept in today’s entertainment world, and definitely a rarity in television. The writing and acting on this show is brilliant, worthy of a large adoring audience, worthy of awards, worthy of future seasons, and definitely worthy of another chance by a network that can properly support and promote it. This show is witty, quirky, heartfelt, unique, entertaining, and at times shocking, but always phenomenal. This show is fun! It has no flaws, it’s only downfall was airing on Starz. This show, should be on the air, someone please, snatch it up, and put it back on, ASAP!

Anonymous March 6, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Thanks to Netflix I found this show. I am hoping since it has a larger audience due to Netlix it will consider a season 3. This is one of my all time favorite shows and I was very dissapointed to learn it ended at season 2. The writing was fresh, the actors were likeable and realistic and I was left wanting more.

needler March 3, 2011 at 10:33 pm

so ya just watch both 1 and 2 seasons on netflix
then went to look up 3 season little did i know they aren’t making anymore
what the fuck!!!!!!
seriously what the fuck

CJ March 1, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I agree with the other folks…Party down is really great show..some other network needs to pick them up..like showtime or hbo..guaranteed they’ll have the rankings they’ll need to keep the show going

Brad February 28, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Totally agree with everyone’s sentiments on this one. It seems like it was another show cut too short by poor network and placement. It kind of reminds me of how Arrested Development only lasted 3 seasons despite being a favorite of many.

Jay February 27, 2011 at 6:05 am

I just watched every episode on netflix and now i wonder why nobody watched it?!Its a great show

Emily February 24, 2011 at 12:45 am

another station NEEDS to pick up this show. one of the best comedies ever on television!

KC February 21, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I’m currently in the midst of my Party Down obsession. I am completely shocked it was cancelled, but it doesn’t surprise me being that it was on Starz. I don’t even know what channel that is. I may be the last person to pick up Party Down, or even the last to know it wasn’t picked up for a third season, but it MUST come back! It’s sincerely one of the best shows I’ve ever watched- it doesn’t get stale and keeps growing with hilarity. Of course, I miss Jane Lynch’s character, but the cast can certainly hold its own in the rest of season 1 and 2. It’s clear that nobody watches Starz and majority of PD (I just made that up, do people say this?) has seemingly watched the show on Netflix. REALLy, REALLY, another network needs to step up to the plate and restore comedic brilliance back in television.

Chase February 15, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Party down is an awesome show! I’m very upset there will not be a season three. I wish they would go to a new network one that a lot more people have access to.

Chris Connally February 11, 2011 at 9:40 pm

This show was so much better than any of the drivel and “reality” shows on now, it’s mystifying to me that this show didn’t have a much larger audience. Sad that it’s gone now and a sad statement about what we now consider entertainment.

C Dizzle February 10, 2011 at 8:02 pm

The only bad part about this show was that it was aired on starz… everything else was simply brilliant. The writing was so original and funny, its too bad i didn’t find out about it until i saw it on netflix. I really hope this show gets picked up again.

jd July 9, 2011 at 4:03 am

Me too! I watched all twenty episodes last night and found out it was cancelled when I woke up this morning. I love Ron Swanson but I’m boycotting Parks and Rec. for this.