Past Life: Cancelled FOX Series to Return (Probably)

Past LifeFOX recently updated their summer schedule and Past Life is on it, at least for now.

Past Life was inspired by the book, Reincarnationist by M.J. Rose. Starring Kelli Giddish, Nicholas Bishop, Ravi Patel, and Richard Schiff, the FOX series revolves around detectives who try to discover a person’s past-life traumas.

The network had initially ordered 13 episodes of Past Life but later cut that order to just seven installments. The series was pulled from the schedule after just three weeks. It got off to a decent start following American Idol on February 9th with a 2.8 rating in the 18-49 demo. In its regular timeslot however, the ratings dropped like a rock and by episode three, hit a low with a 1.1 rating and 3.9 million viewers.

On February 19th, FOX cancelled Past Life, pulled it from the schedule and replaced it with episodes of Kitchen Nightmares.

For now, the network plans to burn off the remaining four episodes on Friday nights. Two episodes will air on May 28th and then single episodes will run on both June 4th and June 11th. After that, repeats of Bones will take over the timeslot.

But, don’t set your DVR just yet. FOX has been known to bump episodes of cancelled TV shows in the past. If you recall, the final episodes of Drive were bumped a couple times and ended up never actually airing on television.

What do you think? Are you happy to hear that Past Life is returning, if only for a short time? Do you think the episodes will actually see the light of day?

Canceled and renewed TV show

18 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Renee says

I don’t think the network gave this show a chance. Bring it back. I really enjoyed this show. As someone else said, it makes a good replacement for summer. Maybe another network like TNT or TBS, or A&E should look into picking up some of the major networks cast offs.

2. Marta says

I am happy its coming back, I was so hooked on the show and got upset it stopped!
    Cant wait till Friday!

3. wendy says

I HOPE PAST LIFE AIR’S AND THE RATINGS GO UP….THIS SHOW WAS NOT GIVEN THE CHANCE IT SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN AND HOPEFULLY NOW IT WILL.ALSO MY FAMILY WATCHED THIS SHOW TOGETHER THAT IS THREE GENERATIONS THAT ENJOYED IT AND WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED TO SEE IT END….

4. Sara says

Loved this show. Like someone else said, they cancel all the smart shows. We do need something for those of us that can’t stand all the reality crap!!!

Maybe I’m the jinx… I really like a show… it gets canceled!!

5. analise says

I loved that show. I kept searching for it on the dvr schedule. It’s different than every other tv show. It wasn’t just another investigation crime series. They had a lot more to it.

6. Mark says

I liked the show a lot and hope it does return at least for a short while. I think it would make a good summer replacement

7. Jan says

I am extremely interested in “Past Life” and hope Fox has the intelligence to renew it this summer. All the smart shows get cancelled, and it’s about time something for those of us who don’t watch Idol stays around to entertain us. Have you read the book that inspired this series? I haven’t caught that one yet, but the followup, “The Memorist” was very, very good. This subject, which is too far out for most folks, deserves more notice and respect, in my opinion. What’s the statistic? Something like 70% of the world believes in reincarnation?

• says

I tend to agree that most people still do not believe in the possibilty that the soul lives on after death & if we choose, we can reincarnate; hence, Past Life’s. Rather than Past Life being a bomb or low in the ratings department, I feel that it is probable that people are labelling this wonderful show as being either boring, poorly written & or acted because they lack the understanding, or are AFRAID of the idea of reincarnation. Challenging one’s belief system means that we would have to open up to new ideas & possibly give up old mindsets. Most people in general, do not like change & are attached to beliefs which become habits. Life can become stale without new & exciting ideas which can help us grow intellectually. Entertainment is just that, so NETWORKS, reconsider giving us fans another season. A series cannot be be judged by just 3 episodes. We needed time to see this series grow!
      Past Life offers a combo of drama, profiling & detective work, peppered with SyFy & human compassion. All this mixed together to formulate a unique show for this time-line in TV’s history. Since Past Life is currently televised on Friday’s to finish out the rest of the series, it will be interesting to find out what new viewers feel. Could the ratings be ore favorable this time around? One can hope. I BELIEVE!

8. says

im glad to to at least see the last few installments, if fox allows that. Everyone knows what i mean. If fox doesnt renew it then i’ll definetly be watching Kelli’s new show on nbc.

9. says

They’ll at least see the light of day in DVD, but the show was so poorly done that I can’t imagine it will be un-canceled. In fact, I believe Giddish has already signed on to a new pilot series.