Perception

TNT TV series PerceptionNetwork: TNT
Episodes: 39 (hour)
Seasons: Three

TV show dates: July 9, 2012 — March 17, 2015
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Eric McCormack, Rachael Leigh Cook, Arjay Smith, Kelly Rowan, and LeVar Burton.

TV show description:
This TV show revolves around Doctor Daniel Pierce (Eric McCormack), an eccentric and brilliant neuroscience professor. Unfortunately, his mind is also damaged and he suffers from paranoid schizophrenia.

Pierce struggles with hallucinations and paranoid delusions brought on by his schizophrenia. Oddly though, he considers some of his hallucinations to be a gift. They occasionally allow him to make connections that his conscious mind can’t yet process. At other times, the hallucinations become Pierce’s greatest curse, leading him to behave in irrational, potentially dangerous ways.

Still, he’s recruited by FBI agent Kate Moretti (Rachael Leigh Cook) to help solve complex cases. Pierce has an intimate knowledge of human behavior and a masterful understanding of the way the mind works. He also has an uncanny ability to see patterns and can look past people’s conscious emotions to see what lies beneath. Kate is Pierce’s former student and, unlike her colleagues, she’s willing to look past his peculiarities.

Pierce’s mental condition and offbeat manner make it difficult for him to achieve the close friendships and intimate relationships he craves.

Those close to him include Max Lewicki (Arjay Smith), his teaching assistant. Max’s primary job is to keep Pierce in line and on task, whether that means grading midterms or laying out his boss’ wardrobe for the day. Natalie Vincent (Kelly Rowan) is Pierce’s best friend and every bit his intellectual equal. Paul Haley (LeVar Burton) is the dean at Pierce’s university and one of his few friends.

Pierce is in his element when solving an intricate puzzle or a coded message. But in unfamiliar situations, he can quickly become overwhelmed, and only his favorite music and a crossword puzzle have the power to make things right again.

Series Finale:
Episode #39 — Run
When Moretti goes missing the day of her wedding, Pierce and Donnie set off in pursuit of the runaway bride. They soon learn that Kate has been abducted by a dangerous person from Pierce’s own past. Pierce and Donnie risk everything to save Moretti before it’s too late.
First aired: March 17, 2015

What do you think? Do you like the Perception TV series? Do you think it should have been cancelled or renewed for a fourth season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

600 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Dolly Goyer says

I love this show. Please do not cancel it. Most Si Fi shows that I like get cancelled after 1 or 2 seasons. (Like Touch?)

2. says

I like this show, I say keep it coming. My husband, daughter and watch this show. It has great humor and I like how his delusions help him solve the cases.

3. Sheryl says

This is a great show, great storylines, great actors, I’m so glad it’s not canceled but wondering when it will be back on tv?

4. Marnie says

A wonderful show, great characters, intelligent dialogue, complex and compelling plot lines. I hope it goes on for years

5. chris p says

Love this show! Please bring it back. I work nights and DVR this program and look forward to coming home to watch it. The mind is a fasinating thing and this shows you a different look at it.

6. Lovely Lola says

This is a wonderful show. The actors are compelling, the scripts are fascinating, the nuggets of knowledge about neuroscience give me real information about how my brain works, and the crime stories are interesting but not too creepy. All in all, I could make this part of my week for a very long time–I’d love to watch Dr. Pierce grow old, retire, and continue solving cases until he is 80 or 90, aging one year for each season the show runs.

7. crystal swafford says

Love this show!!! It’s not just entertainment, and based on fictional stories. You learn as you watch the show, plus its entertaining, you cant beat it. It has got my whole family interested in psychology, neurological disorders, crime, rights, it’s just fantastic!!! Hope it never gets cancelled, and I will continue to tell everyone to watch it to keep the ratings up, so this doesn’t happen!!!

8. Marilyn Mark says

I love the show. It is performed with excellence. It keeps me on the edge of my seat. I would be extremely disappointed if this show is cancelled. I never miss a show. Eric McCormack is fantastic, so is the rest of the cast. I never watch murder mysteries, but because I have always been a fan of Eric McCormack, I started to watch and was and still am and will continue to be one. The writing of this series has me wanting more. Please do not cancel this show. M. Mark

9. Poppy Heart says

I am not a fan of crime dramas. They gross me out or make me paranoid to leave my house. But because I loved Eric McCormack in Will & Grace, I wanted to see how on earth he was going to pull off a crime drama. It took maybe 10 minutes into the first episode and I stopped waiting for ‘Will’ to show up and began really enjoying the new character I was watching.

This show is so much more than a crime drama, I feel it really offered some intelligent and fascinating angles in the show without being gorey for gorey’s sake. The main character is so complex and even when he is out of control, you still have a heart for him knowing the battles with which he struggles.

My DVR is set up to record all new episodes so I don’t miss one. I hope the show comes back. My DVR is just sitting there waiting…