Perfect Couples: NBC Pulling Sitcom; Cancelled?

Perfect Couples canceledNBC has decided to yank their freshman sitcom Perfect Couples from the schedule after April 7th. It’ll be replaced by The Paul Reiser Show on Thursday nights. Does this mean that Perfect Couples is canceled and gone for good?

Perfect Couples revolves around three young couples. Dave (Kyle Bornheimer) and Julia (Christine Woods) are the “everyday couple,” who are messed up in all the “normal” ways. Vance (David Walton) and Amy (Mary Elizabeth Ellis) are the high-passion, high-drama couple. Rex (Hayes MacArthur) is a reformed party guy and Leigh (Olivia Munn) is a self-anointed relationship guru who considers it her duty to mold the other couples in their image.

The NBC sitcom has been struggling in the ratings from the beginning. The network gave it viewers a sneak peak in December and that generated a terrible 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 3.56 million viewers. A month later, the second episode brought a mediocre 2.1 rating and 4.15 million. The numbers quickly started falling and the latest episode hit a low of a 1.2 rating.

The whole season of Perfect Couples currently averages a 1.5 rating in the demo and just 3.27 million viewers. It’s the lowest-rated scripted series on the network by far and even The Cape has a better season average. Bornheimer has committed to a new FOX pilot while Walton has signed on for a new NBC one.

TV show supportSo, no, NBC has not cancelled Perfect Couples officially, there are many very strong indications that it won’t be back next season. NBC has no incentive to bring it back and even cast one of the sitcom’s actors in one of their new shows.

Right now, it looks like there will be four unaired episodes of Perfect Couples. They may or may not see the light of day at a later date.

What do you think? Are you sorry to see Perfect Couples go? Do you think that it still has a chance to return for a second season?

Pam Carter September 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I think that Perfect Couples was a smart comedy and that too many shows are not given a fair chance to see if they will make it. It made me laugh out loud and I think it was well written. I am very sorry to see it go.

Asha September 21, 2011 at 11:21 am

I LOVED this show. It was HILARIOUS! it was poorly marketed. I am really sad it’s not being brought back

ryan box September 20, 2011 at 9:34 pm

This is bullshit! First, my show “worst week” is cancelled, now taking “perfect couples,” that sucks! This show was true comedy. The cast was matched perfectly as far as believable relationships go, and it was an all around great show. I’m honestly so surprised this is going bye bye! I just don’t see what other comedies on tv are actually better than this one. Promote! Promote! Promote!!!!!!

Ali September 20, 2011 at 1:29 am

I LOVED THIS SHOW! My boyfriend and I live in the South but are both from Portland, OR where the show is set. We found Perfect Couples on Hulu and both said it was a fun way to stay connected with Portland and laugh super hard. I HATE THAT THIS IS NOT COMING BACK! VANCE WAS NICE TO LOOK AT!

Johnny September 19, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I am so disappointed. This is such a great show. I think this show was poorly marketed. The ads made it look like something I wouldn’t like. This could have been a big hit.

Junior September 18, 2011 at 6:27 pm

My wife and I were so disappointed to hear the show got cancelled. It is obvious that networks prefer reality tv over creative sitcoms. A show like this will gain a lot of momentum once people hear about it.

Isobel September 16, 2011 at 8:49 pm

this is awful. i love this show so much. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!

Yolanda September 16, 2011 at 8:34 pm

My husband and I love this show and hope to see it back for a second season. It’s definitely pushed out Grey’s Anatomy as my favorite show.

Kimberly September 16, 2011 at 11:10 am

THIS SHOW IS AWESOME!!! One of the best and sooooo funny! It has to come back for another season!

Lauren September 15, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Ahhh so sad! This show was so funny! My boyfriend and I discovered this show on Hulu and both loved it! What a bummer :(

jc September 15, 2011 at 1:47 pm

if you cancel perfect couples you are idiots…it’s the only good goddamn show on television…I hate NBC!..FX wouldn’t cancel this show…

Mckenzie September 14, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I loved the show!! Me and my boyfriend thought it was the funnest show!! Please bring it back.

Katey September 13, 2011 at 11:23 am

This show is my new favorite! I mean, it has pushed out Office, Parks and Rec, Community, 30Rock-everything! Please bring this back! It is hillarious and I love the characters! I also didn’t get into the show until I saw it on Hulu-why didn’t you guys advertise it better? This show will BLOW UP if you let people in on the secret! Please, please…I need my funny show back! I loved the episode with the tight red/orange pants! Greatness!

Aubrey September 12, 2011 at 8:25 am

NBC hopefully can look at these posts and see what a shameful job they did of promoting this great show. Many of the posters didn’t know about this show until it was plugged on Hulu and once they discovered it they fell in love. I’ve recognized this trend with too many shows lately, they don’t get viewers until Hulu starts putting them in the forefront. Maybe these networks should start doing the same and we wouldn’t loose so many of our beloved shows to low viewership.

Tysonfan September 11, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Bring this show back!!! Husband and I (42 and 37 years old, respectively) thought it was hilarious!