Person of Interest: Season Three Ratings

Person of Interest season three ratingsThis season, CBS has moved Person of Interest to Tuesday nights. Will the ratings fall off as a result or will they grow because of a stronger lead-in? Let’s wait and see.

On Person of Interest, former CIA officer John Reese (Jim Caviezel) and billionaire Harold Finch (Michael Emerson) continue to work together to prevent violent crimes in the Big Apple. Taraji P. Henson, Kevin Chapman, Sarah Shahi, and Amy Acker round out the cast.

3/13 update: This show has been renewed for the 2014-15 season by CBS.

Final season averages: 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 11.83 million total viewers.

For comparisons: The second season of Person of Interest averaged a 2.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 14.41 million total viewers.

What do you think? Do you still like the Person of Interest TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or be renewed for a fourth season?

Gary May 7, 2014 at 10:31 am

We watched the show from the beginning and have enjoyed the twists and turns, not really happy with the loss of Cater. Enjoy the character interaction. We will be sorry to see it go.

Dr. Love May 4, 2014 at 2:15 am

I love this show! It is probably on the mark as far as the government watching our every move and seeking us out. The great twist is a recognition and a demonstration of good and evil. There is no progressive agenda of situational ethics. The message is sometimes the bad guys are called on their evil lives and they get the justice they earned. Too bad art doesn’t imitate life here. The show goes beyond the vigilante justice that organized crime and governments build. Like it or hate it…the show takes a moral stand. Lest we forget; it is a T.V. Show. Sarah and Root with Mr. Reese and the detective are the tetrahedron of swift justice.

Dr. Love May 4, 2014 at 2:21 am

Sarah has got to be one of the most complicated person in a shoe but in her real life interviews is absolutely a hoot. I like the crazy genius of Root and the precision of Mr. Reese. WOW!!

Colonel Mustard May 7, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Person of Interest ratings continue to decline. If the show is so good, why doesn’t more of the desired demographic tune in each week? It seems a lot of the viewers that made the drama a hit show simply do not care to watch it any more. Did the show become too smart, too complicated and too self righteous for its own good? Oh……and maybe that idea to kill off one of the lead characters was not such a promising vision. Wonder how the ratings will be in season four? They can’t get much worse, can they?

Hannah May 1, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Person of Interest is a great show and of course it should be renewed for a 4th, 5th, 6th.. season! You will hardly find such a great format elsewhere. Perfect cast, the actors are terrific, every single one of them! The directors do a great job, I love to watch their stagings. The writers do an amazing job with such an interesting, thrilling story.. I was astounded to see such a great show on CBS as I saw the pilot and I love every single episode. POI is the only reason I watch CBS and would be a great loss if they cancelled it. Nowadays it’s hard to find a show with such a high-quality on TV.

Carol May 1, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Shows seem to fail when they leave the storyline. I liked it so much better when it was about saving people. As with Burn Notice they veer off the theme and I stopped watching. I do not like this storyline of some other evil watcher. Get back to saving people. Leave Reese alone. Him and Harold make the show. Get rid of the whack-o. She is not an asset.

angee May 1, 2014 at 9:23 am

FYI, for those fans who seem to be panicking, Person of Interest has already been renewed for a fourth season and will probably get picked up for a 5th.

angee April 30, 2014 at 11:58 pm

I hope CBS moves Person of Interest to Sunday night next year, I think that is a better fit for a non-procedural show like Person of Interest, then the writers and producers can do whatever they want and not worry about ratings. And please kill John Reese in the season three finale, to him out of his misery and allow Person of Interest to formally become the Root and Shaw show.

nemo f May 1, 2014 at 12:31 am

Make it the Shaw and Root show? Really? The reason why the ratings are down is the loss of Carter and the introduction of Shaw and Root. Read the message boards. Most people who have stopped watching or make negative comments about POI cite one or both of these characters as the reason.

The show’s best rating were when it was just Harold, John, Carter and Fusco. The ratings have dropped with each addition of a new character.

Tony 336 May 4, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I find Shaw a ridiculous character , she is abot 60 pounds and 4foot 6 yet throws 200 pound men around . I find the scenes with her and Root in just good for a laugh .

Gabriel April 30, 2014 at 11:56 pm

renew 4th season PLEASE!!!!!

Frank April 30, 2014 at 11:31 pm

If Person of Interest is too complicated for some then maybe they ought to switch over to reruns of Barnaby Jones or some other less brain stressing endeavor. This is a great show with a great cast, director, writers and crew. If they cancel the show I don’t see the point in tuning on to CBS anymore though I understand the reality of being in the business to make money……Sad

Jane Malone April 30, 2014 at 11:56 am

It is difficult to comprehend how ratings and viewship for season three of Person of Interest are so much less than those for season two. Why are television viewers so fickle? The show is better than ever, isn’t it? The writing has improved, hasn’t it? The cast is superlative and diversified, right? So why doesn’t everyone watch? Just another mystery of television demographics……..?

Riddick April 30, 2014 at 11:52 pm

There hasn’t been big slump, they have moved the show at 10 PM now and not everyone watches TV live so late so people seem to DVR it. DVR ratings are still over 16 million people and 3.0 demo. Also POI is best performing CBS show at 10 pm so its very much safe.

nemo f May 1, 2014 at 12:27 am

Miss Carter, can deal with Shaw but HATE ROOT always have, always will.

read this and other message boards and you will see the same sentiment. The loss of Carter and the addition of Root turned a lot of people off. It is not being fickle, if the characters and story lines don’t interest me I’m not going to watch this or any show. I not going to blindly watch a show.

wheezie April 30, 2014 at 11:36 am

I love POI and if CBS decides to cancel the show I will not be watching the network. They really don’t have any shows besides POI that I am interested in. Also I am not in their “demographic” zone, but I love watching TV shows. Until POI came on, I had stopped watching CBS.

Judy April 30, 2014 at 8:18 am

I certainly hope you keep Person of Interest on. Move yo Wednesday which s. Crappy day on Tv but don’t drop

Debbie April 29, 2014 at 11:21 pm

the blacklist is great. the person of interest people need some more humor the charcters are cold and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to serious its just a tv show

BL April 29, 2014 at 11:18 pm

I only recently started watch POI and find the premise interesting and a bit disturbing given that this is probably closer to fact than fiction. I’d like to see it continue, but apparently am not in the demographic that CBS cares about.

Virginia Wojtkowski April 29, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I love POI. I hope it does not end. Heroes I can count on and love, even the quirky ones. The good guys win but there can be occasional doubt. Who wouldn’t want to be rescued/saved by Mr. Reese. And I would love to BE Ms. Shaw!

LS April 29, 2014 at 2:10 am

The plot lines are too complicated… Have you watched Game of Thones? It’s the characters and serial plots that get viewers.
Root’s ear chip is too weird… Yet we have bionic eyes and the writers realized Decima is a group that doesn’t fall for the same tricks and that was The Machine’s next best option.
They killed Joss… How and why she died was problematic, but keeping the show focused on saving irrelevants and interweaving The Machine’s operatives with two NYPD characters could force the show to repeat itself or other crime shows. If they kept Joss, the writers would have to bring up the romantic side, and POI doesn’t do on-going main character romances because it has better things to talk about. Also, Joss was a boring bad ass whose story disrupted the flow of the larger plot with her HR issues and personal life.
It’s turning into a b-rate sci-fi… Come on. It was a strange concept from the beginning. Vigilance brings up the question “what if Anonymous does more leg work?”, and Decima is about the unholy alliance of private interest groups, government, and AI.
Last season was better… HR was getting old, irrelevants are fun (but not all the time), Elias is too interesting to be gone forever, but watching Reese fight with organized crime can get old.
Root is a turn off… Had she stayed a villain we would have loved to hate her. Now that she’s changed sides but not her personality, that complicates matters, and Finch is right there with you.

If POI’s ratings are dropping because viewers want the show to stay the same then let them drop for that reason. But at the same time, CBS needs to advertise how POI isn’t just about police, organized crime, corruption, and irrelevants’ drama because the potential audience has yet to find this show. POI has gone darker but it’s thought provoking and if they keep the smaller plots interesting it could make it to season five.

Katji April 29, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Maybe people just don’t like “Person of Interest” any more because the actors and the actions are simply not engaging enough to merit continued attention. I’ve started watching “The Blacklist” and I like it very much.

Virginia Wojtkowski April 29, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I couldn’t disagree with you more. I think they are engaging. I love them.