Persons Unknown: Watch the (likely) Last Episode; Are You Satisfied?

Persons UnknownLast night, NBC aired the final two episodes of their mystery-thriller series, Persons Unknown. The show revolves around a group of people who wake up in a small town and must figure out how to survive and escape. The cast includes Chadwick Boseman, Lee Purcell, Jason Wiles, Andy Greenfield, Daisy Betts, Tina Holmes, Alan Ruck, Kate Lang Johnson, Sean O’Bryan, and Gerald Kyd.

NBC waited until summer to air Persons Unknown; a time when fewer people watch television and their isn’t much competition. On Monday nights, it got very poor ratings, even for a summer show, and was consequently sent to the TV graveyard known as Saturday nights.

Remi Aubuchon, one of the show’s executive producers, has said that the show was originally envisioned to have self-contained seasons but could easily run for multiple years. Based on the ratings and their treatment of the series, it is highly unlikely that NBC will bring Persons Unknown back for a second season.

What do you think? In all likelihood, last night’s installment is the final episode. What do you think of the Persons Unknown finale? Were enough questions answered in “Shadows in the Cave” to satisfy you?

Randy September 4, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Disappointed about the show not renewing. I loved the show and the last episode even though you left us hanging. I was very let down that I was mislead to think it was a mini series with no solid ending!

Susan September 4, 2010 at 11:54 am

I think the intrigue of this show is the best I have seen in ages. Each show creates questions to be answered. The show also explores the intricacy of human relations, emotions and mental health.

To leave the viewers without resolution would be a sad state. If NBC chooses not to renew, I hope another network can continue the show.

Matt B September 3, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Bring the show back! Level 2 would be awesome… It has potential to be a good replacement show for Lost or something interesting to watch during the summer when Flash Forward isn’t on.

Anonymous September 3, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Seemed like an inexpensive show to make. Can’t cost that much to film a few more episodes.

Tim September 3, 2010 at 12:10 pm

First off… Brad, ack! Grammar!

I loved the finale, and the other episodes also. I thought the weakest was 11, the internet-only episode. I view the ending like this… we know as much as the characters know. There were no cheesy drawn-out explanations, no “this is why we did it” moment; perfect! True to life. Life isn’t clear-cut, and neither were the answers on this show. The “program” is powerful, more powerful than is conceivable, and that’s why we could only find out so much. The show didn’t “dumb” it down for us, but rather let our imaginations, fears, and speculations do the talking. I was SO afraid they would end it happy, ruining the tone they had established with the show… no sir! A perfect “Empire Strikes Back” ending, complete with the “bad” guys winning, but with a glimmer of hope as the detective now starts to believe Rembe and start on his trail. I think the “level 2″ folks are on the ship for just that reason; being at sea, it’s much more difficult to be apprehended.

Bravo, Persons Unknown, for ending it right! I’ll be buying the dvd!

Jeanne Lipham September 3, 2010 at 11:05 am

Amazing!
I thought I was going crazy not being able to find episode Eleven on TV. I have TIVO and it records all the episodes. When I was watching the final two hours, I kept wondering, “huh?” because I couldn’t remember watching anything concerning some of the things the characters were referring to. Then I found out that episode didn’t air. Huh? Not a good way to run a network.
AND then, the final episode! At the end, I was stunned. This was supposed to be a mini-series and “All will be revealed.” Hardly! We saw some of our characters in cages, some returning to the town, some at level “two.”
If you are going to have a mini-series, have one that ENDS…not one that leaves your viewers hanging and therefore upset.
Bring it back, it was a good show.

Brad September 3, 2010 at 3:35 am

I mean really not one of my questions were answered
The first being WHY?
What is the programs purpoase What are thye trying to achieve
The level two thing was forshaddowed when the director talked about level 10 for Joe so No answer there Not even an answer as to what the levels were about? Why imprison the ambasabore becuse he turned on the program after they lied about his daughters death? Why fake here death to test the ambasadore? What was any of it for? World Domination? Really What’s the point of the whole thing and is it endless leverls Heck Not even an answer to how many levels and what each is intended to do and or answer
Worthless

jay September 3, 2010 at 12:09 am

What a terrible way to end the show, why promote it as a min series when it was clearly not? Why would NBC go out of their way to decieve veiwers with the all will be revealed line? This show was very promising, but it just never panned out (like why does everyone fall in love with janet, it makes no sense). Show had alot of flaws but i thought i would at least get a resolution.

William Dee Campbell September 2, 2010 at 10:32 pm

This could have been a great show -BUT-
The producers and writing staff just walked away, and left us hanging.
I would watch again if there were a new(or better) script.
I have been in broadcasting for almost 50 years, and have seen many shows end like this!

stacy September 2, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I think the finale was the best episode. The acting was a little cheesy (they way they faked their deaths though) If they could just do more to promote the show, perhaps after the Fall flops are squared away, they can start fresh in 2011. Also, you are right, they need to get a new writer. Anyway, I need closure to this thing. Maybe they can move it to the Sci Fi channel or something!

Jay September 2, 2010 at 8:56 pm

They need to at least bring out one to conclude it no one knows how to tie up loose ends any more

Philippe September 2, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Great concept and idea, definitely keep producing the show, but a big big must is to completely change the whole staff for Writers and Producers! I agree with Glo M. get the lost staff.

anonimouse September 2, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I loved the show! I know it got bad ratings, but I would love to see another season of it.

Robert September 2, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I need to see “The Program” go down. I was hoping for more finality and revenge for the people stuck in that nightmare. One more season would be great.

Glo Miller September 2, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Yes, the show had some inconsistent writing, but, LOST is off the air, hire those writers for a 2nd season of Persons Unknown and continue with “The Program”.
Level 2?!
Way to leave people hanging NBC…you are as bad as CBS about canceling shows right in the middle without any reasonable closure!